1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,654 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Kinda funny. Sad, but funny.

A lot of my neighbors have that cheap red/green laser light thing this year. It's the non-moving type, though. I think it's called "Star-shower" or something like that.
It's a lazy way to decorate, in my opinion, if that's the only thing you have in your yard. If it's an accent to other decorations, then fine.

·
Registered
668 Posts

A lot of my neighbors have that cheap red/green laser light thing this year. It's the non-moving type, though. I think it's called "Star-shower" or something like that.
It's a lazy way to decorate, in my opinion, if that's the only thing you have in your yard. If it's an accent to other decorations, then fine.
I counted at least five of the "star shower" systems in my neighborhood. They don't look good at all.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,410 Posts
Meh, I feel like them like I feel like inflatables & glitter, not my thing but better than nothing at all.

It sucks that it's affecting pilots though. I'm sure no one thought it would do something like that when they turned them on to cover their house with the lights. I wouldn't have thought of it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
These things are dangerous when they do directly shine into someone's eyes. I had a red laser pointer shone at me when i worked at a reception desk somewhere - first of all there is a blinding red light and then everything goes black for about a second - after that you get blobby blurry afterimages and floaters for about 30 minutes. If it happens like it happened to me then there is no immediate danger - but someone driving a car is bad, so a plane would be even scarier.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Poor pilots.. With a single unit pumping out so many laser points of light, it must be like flying through a laser shower..most people are not really paying attention to make sure that every beam terminates on the house.. overshooting must be taking place...I wonder if they were smart enough to put a statement on the box about usage?

Don't fly in my area, 10 houses in my neighborhood have come down with the "Christmas Measles".

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,090 Posts

Everyone on my block has it too. Im glad I did not succumb to hubbys pleas ( he doesn't have to go up on a ladder and set up light again) . I think its looks nice, but if it moved it might be better. Something better than nothing....

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
My neighbor sets his out every night and aims it so low, it even lights up some of the ground in front of it. And it actually looks pretty good on the grass.

Those things also look great pointed at a tree, but then you're letting even more laser light escape into the sky.

Maybe next year I'll make a red laser vortex to go with my green one, and haul them out for Christmas! :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
My neighbor sets his out every night and aims it so low, it even lights up some of the ground in front of it. And it actually looks pretty good on the grass.

Those things also look great pointed at a tree, but then you're letting even more laser light escape into the sky.

Maybe next year I'll make a red laser vortex to go with my green one, and haul them out for Christmas! :)
Mount them high up an pointed at the ground and you have a tree.

·
Registered
264 Posts
New trend in my area.. People are now stealing these lights and selling them on Facebook yard sale pages for $20 - $25 each without a box. SMH

I guess we haunters are not the only ones subject to yard theft.

If you buy one, make sure to mark it so you can identify it later if need be.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My wife and I call these decorations "Christmas Pox"

These are easily the WORST kind of decorating to have been released in recent memory.

...and I thought Christmas lights at Halloween were bad.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I bought two for "christmas" and plan on trying to use them next year in my haunt. They have a green only setting and look pretty cool in the fog. I have some ideas rattling around in there. They do look better on the trees pointing down.
I bought some green ones for Halloween and it's a very cool added effect into the display. Very magical or mystical feeling with all the little green lights all over. Like... bugs? spirit orbs? I really loved it!

I guess the next thing will be a DVD you can project onto your house to make it look like it's decorated with lights. :)
Sign me up! hahahaha ;) :D I'm so worn out after Halloween, I can barely hang a wreath at Xmas anymore. LOL

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
My 24 year old son is disabled, and he LOVES driving around and looking at Christmas Lights. He is the reason I got into extreme outdoor holiday decorating. When he vocalizes as we drive by a house, it is from a place of pure innocent joy. Not any kind of sophisticated review of a display.

Last night, on our way home from a commercial Christmas display. He clapped and make joyful noise at two houses that were using the Star Shower types lights.
So I dunno... sounds like an endorsement to me. ;) :D

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
Just noticed some of the stationary ones a few nights ago and had no idea what they were though I knew it had to be some kind of projection. I would be interested in seeing the light-show version simply because I would like to see how they could be incorporated into a Halloween display. :D

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Like Hilda I have the green ones. Mine are stationary. I used them in my trees to simulate fireflies when I did voodoo on the bayou. The slightest breeze brought them to life. I added LOTS of Spanish moss to my tress, the sounds of frogs and an occasional owl, a backwoods shack and voila I had a pretty convincing swamp scene.
As for using them for Christmas lights they're really not not my thing but people do a whole lot of things I wouldn't do, however I'm sort of whatever floats your boat kind of person. ;) :D

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
FANTASTIC use of those 'firefly' type lights The Halloween Lady!

I was hoping to do the same at my house, but forgot that there are no leaves on the trees by October 31st! LOL So if I pointed them UP, I would probably be one of those people affecting air travel! (Back to original poster.) I only have a static set, so far, and pointed them onto the house. Very cool addition to the display.

Last night, we went to A Winter Spectacular, commercial Christmas lights installation at the Lehigh Valley Zoo and I notice they used a lot of the static red/green lights pointed towards the ground (from up in the trees, instead of the other way around) and even I found it 'magical' to be walking around in them, and lots of little kids were laughing while jumping on them. Just adding to the excitement of the display. So there are a lot of fun applications for them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts