Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people use for their lasers? I made a tunnel last year and used some crappy battery powered pointers, but we had to constantly switch them out because they would dim. Is there something out there that will run off an outlet, and will run for several hours without crapping out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
They have a warning on the website about eye safety. If you were using this as a vortex tunnel and reflecting off a mirror... what would happen if it hit someone in the eye?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Never seen one in the flesh, but now, I GOTTA HAVE ONE! You do this Halloween thing long enough, you tend to run out of ideas. But, thanks to Halloweenforum, there are Plenty of fresh ideas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses! I think I'm going to grab both and we'll see how it goes.

Follow up question!

How do you get people OUT of your tunnel? Last year people were completely baffled when they got to the end. We had someone at the end telling them to exit left. Wondered if there was another option that other people were using.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
We wired ours into 3-volt power supplies so there are no batteries to worry about.

We always mount ours up high so they can see the doorway when they get to the end. It also keeps people from kicking or playing with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's a photo of a little neighbor girl next door walking up my walkway through a laser vortex I aim it at foot level and above grownup heads so they wont hit therm in the eyes, they are told to stay on the walkway and as long as they do nothing to worry about.
Halloween Trick Or Treat Oct 31st 2009 074.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was thinking about using one of those mini projector lasers that I was using for the firfly effect for camping that the wife wanted years ago. Think I started tearing one apart to get rid of the patterns and red laser. Have been thinking about it though, woudl really like to do this effect but with all the little kids camping how do you keep them from looking at the light. trying to figure out how to do it with a led lights. I know the fire and ice lights made sort of a cool pattern last year through the fog. Keep looking at the designs of the lights as they have so many patterns now just not sure if they would really work or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the mini projector in today, and wasn't sure what to expect as far as modifying it goes, but it couldn't have been much easier. The green laser is definitely brighter, but it definitely seems possible that the red laser would also work. Either way, it was super simple. If you're thinking about it, but worried it might be more hassle than its worth. Don't. Just buy one. A couple screws and you're basically done.

As far as how to keep people from looking at the laser goes: The mirror keeps the laser moving in a circle, so its never in one spot for any length of time. I don't see how it could be done with LED lights, however.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I finally did my vortex last year and easily modified the red/green laser from ebay. Set up vortex inside carport and display in front, no one entered the carport. It's very cool walking into vortex but once you get through the 'wow' effect you can see everything behind the curtain.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
What product are you using for the vortex? I looked at the one on Fright Props but I'm not sure that's it. It says only visible with haze or fog. And it looks like just a single beam?

I wanted to do laser lights that just hover (over my driveway, I was thinking it could end by hitting my house) and moves slowly up and down. It looks even more awesome with fog hitting it. They do this at six flags for Fright Fest. I was hoping to do that but the vortex looks awesome, too. I am also concerned about the eye thing with the vortex, though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Whoa, this is one of the best implementations of a laser vortex I've seen.

I think lasers are cool and the vortex is really neat, but as we decorate in a Victorian era, lasers don't really fit. And, as you said, walking into one loses its appeal once you step behind the vortex. But using it as like you did as a portal to the otherworld, nice!

I finally did my vortex last year and easily modified the red/green laser from ebay. Set up vortex inside carport and display in front, no one entered the carport. It's very cool walking into vortex but once you get through the 'wow' effect you can see everything behind the curtain.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Yep, a portal to the Netherworld. That's a plausible explanation of how a Vortex happened to appear in a Victorian setting... Or ANY setting. Hey, it's Halloween! Anything can happen...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks so much for the comments! It took a couple years of trying various "things" before I was happy enough to display. First thing to say is the small pen lasers that use batteries are just NOT going to work. In order to achieve the vortex effect that I used, I needed to bounce the laser off a spinning mirror to get a cone shaped laser which is only viewable once you add the fog (and fan to keep fog moving). It was very time consuming to get the fog, fan and laser cone set up to maximum effect, a lot of trial and error. The inside of the carport is usually heavily decorated and guests need to walk through it to get to our backyard bonfire. I choose to display inside the carport (and not have anyone walk through it) so I can control the air and fog movement as well as not having to worry about someone looking AT the laser.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts