Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live next to a large UK military base which is really taking to Halloween. We live in a normal British village where they go door to door for candy, but no one decorates to hardly any extent. So I really tried to bring some Halloween to England this last year! This is by no means an inexpensive way to do this but I'll be able to use this for years to come. It took me a total of 2 weeks to create.

I took a large 36inch balloon and covered it 3 times over with paper mache. I bought pipe foam covers and cut them in half and again applied my newspaper. I then covered it with 3 more layers of paper mache before finally popping and removing the balloon. *I did try to cover it with masking tape before trying duct tape, so when I noticed that the thickness I was hoping for with regular large tape wasn't working without applying 100 rolls, I tried to cover the masking tape with a heavy flour/water mixture to save on expense which seemed like it would work except that when it dried, it pulled the ends of the tape upward, so the idea was discarded* I then applied 3 large green duct tapes around the paper mache both inside and out, followed by 4 large (and on sale!) gorilla duct tape, inside and out, so I can use this for years and its fully protected against moisture. I placed my cauldron on a cardboard box that has a pipe going up through into my cauldron, the pipe is fitted with an elbow attachment that is fitted with another pipe that fits over the end of my fog machine. I bought green battery packed lights for inside, and sunset/orange battery lights that go under the cauldron to make "fire". I have a backdrop poles that I used to place over the cauldron and gently placed my plastic chains and spider webs to give it the finishing touches. This Halloween I hope to be able to do more, like add texture to the cauldron. Here are the pictures!

Next to my 9 year old

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Second year using it and it's held up like I never used it last year! It's been in the attic all this time with other stuff piled in it. So glad I made it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gosh, you did an outstanding job on that Witch's Cauldron! Especially the eerie green lights and chains! Sometimes homemade decorations can be better than ones you'll ever find in stores. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
21 Participants
Marza
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing