Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Typical Ghoul Next Door

Can easily make them!

Love Dave Lowe's blog for all the fun stuff he makes. He's stopped posting much there over the last few years, but he still has a ton of great prop ideas (he's a professional too, so I adore seeing him using dollar store bits and bob and sometimes just plain junk to make stuff!).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi, yes I am aware of the reverse bowl technique. i have made these and put two of them against a glass window on the inside of a ground level apartment. Then I painted your usual ghoul on the outside glass with Tempra paints and it was a real hit, as kids walked up the center driveway between the two apartment building units.

This year, I want to make something quite a bit larger. It will be overlooking a large property for a church Halloween party. I cannot find LARGE clear plastic bowls. Three feet in diameter would be GREAT! All I can find are buffet salad bowls at restaurant supply stores.

Ah! I did find them! Those are 'Spensive, Lucy!

Joe

Registered

These aren't clear, they have a pebbled texture, but they also are around $65 vs $250. Still pretty steep.

Similar, more like $30 each but still ... $$

Does it need to be a spherical dome or could it be more bowl shaped? A number of the options I saw were shaped like a blunted cone or oversized flower pot. Maybe it would be easiest to combine a clear bowl with an angled rim to get the size?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the effect to work, the bowl needs to be spherical with no flat bottom. I found some 11.25" "Dog Fence Windows" that will work. I want to make a large face about six feet tall, with recessed eyes that follow passersby. It has a mounting flange too, to make it easy to position behind an eye socket cut out.

Joe

Typical Ghoul Next Door
I keep thinking about the 3-4 foot kiddie wading pools and whether you could somehow heat gun them and then use something like a car tire for a poor man's vacuform to be more rounded and then paint them up. Couldn't backlight them, but they'd be amazingly huge.

Registered
I read the Dave Lowe blog but still unclear on the concept. I looked at clear beach balls for my AtmosFX eyes. Also shaping a sheet of acrylic with a heat gun is suspose to be easy.

Registered
I just ordered a 36" clear beach ball to try this with. Same principal. My plan is to mask off half the ball and spray with glass frosting paint. Iris on the back of the ball. The front of the ball left clear to give the appearance of a lens. I'll post pics it I have any success.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts