Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I wasn't able to find a thread with everyone listing their spiders and how much it cost for them to build? I'm trying to budget for a medium-ish PVC spider (ideally a black widow type with a medium sized abdomen - maybe 24-30"?). How big were yours, how much did it cost to make, and which method did you use? Also... can you show me a picture? :eek:

And, let me just come out and ask, is a $30 budget laughable? I'm also thinking I need to revamp my cemetery fence and add lighting, but I can cut $$ in those areas (a tad) if my goal is unattainable.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's been ages since I built one and I now longer had it. The elements got to it after a few years as I didn't have a garage at the time and it hung on the back of a shed, off season. I don't recall it being that expensive. The PVC pipe, fittings, expanding foam. And I used drip hose to form the base for the body which I already had on hand. It was pretty big.

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been ages since I built one and I now longer had it. The elements got to it after a few years as I didn't have a garage at the time and it hung on the back of a shed, off season. I don't recall it being that expensive. The PVC pipe, fittings, expanding foam. And I used drip hose to form the base for the body which I already had on hand. It was pretty big.
Thanks! That's kinda been my assumption, too.. I don't see how it could get to be so expensive, but I wanted to get a general idea of what everyone's costed to make? I don't think I'm brave enough to try fiberglass (and really, I have so much to do in this short time that I don't want to venture too far into the unknown for this one!), and since this guy isn't taking up an acre, I figured that'd cut costs..

Anyone else?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used a beach ball for the rear abdomen of my spider (expanding foam for the rest). They seem to be on clearance at Target now. I usually pick up a few, just in case. I sprayed it with regular spray paints.

341048_10151107024228992_564139388_o.jpg

·
Registered
623 Posts
The one I made last year has a 4' body and a 6' leg span.

I used 3/4" DWV PVC pipe for the legs. The legs were then covered with foam pipe insulation and wrapped in paper mache using those blue shop towels as the paper. I think I used about 30' of pipe and 24 45 degree fittings. The body is paper mache over chicken wire. The eyes are just plastic Christmas tree ornaments. I buy my PVC fittings in the "contractor packs", it's a lot cheaper than buying them individually. I think I paid less than $20 for the materials , although it's hard to say for sure because I keep a lot of this kind of stuff on hand.

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one I made last year has a 4' body and a 6' leg span.

I used 3/4" DWV PVC pipe for the legs. The legs were then covered with foam pipe insulation and wrapped in paper mache using those blue shop towels as the paper. I think I used about 30' of pipe and 24 45 degree fittings. The body is paper mache over chicken wire. The eyes are just plastic Christmas tree ornaments. I buy my PVC fittings in the "contractor packs", it's a lot cheaper than buying them individually. I think I paid less than $20 for the materials , although it's hard to say for sure because I keep a lot of this kind of stuff on hand.
Great job! How heavy is the body?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had to be under $30, or the wife would have made me the victim. She's not keen on me spending money for/on props.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
When I use PVC I only tape some of the joints so I can possibly reuse some of the pieces later (years later) for something else, and this also helps making it fit into a car better too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think mine worked out to around $35 or so, though some things, like the fitness ball...I had on hand already. Due to the thin size of pvc I used 1/2, it is not self supporting, but that was a design element and I expected that going in. I didn't want thick legs. I started too late however to properly finish them, so the majority are just painted. Hopefully I get off my butt soon and edit that mistake.

20121103_144211-1.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts