Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked tons of times but no one ever comes back and say what worked the best for them. I have a opening of 7'x14' to cover. I was thinking of using this Carl's Gray Rear Projection Film - Rear Projector Screen Material (Low Light, Rear Projection) I could make a frame and use it for outdoor movie nights down the road. I would like something grey and im worried about hot spots. If the image is crisp and it does show a hot spot could I use a mirror?
So if you have a large opening what did you use and did it show hot spots?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Can't help you with that particular material but in regards to using a mirror for placing the projector off to the side, that won't cure a hotspot problem.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,566 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I'm sure you've already thought about this but will your projector fill 7'x14' via rear projection? I also think you're gonna need material similar to white shower curtain to avoid seeing the projector beam.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure you've already thought about this but will your projector fill 7'x14' via rear projection? I also think you're gonna need material similar to white shower curtain to avoid seeing the projector beam.
Yup I think 7x12 is what the projector can cover so Im going to add curtains on the outside to cover the blank spots that the projector cant cover. So after looking around and talking to a lot of people I learned I need something white instead of grey. The white will hide the hot spot and will be brighter then a grey or black. I would love to use shower curtains but I would have to weld them together and thats not working out for me. I might just make a frame and use Carl's white rear screen material. I just need to find a place to store it when its not in use.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Just any white material won't necessarily hide the hotspot. For example, a white bed sheet doesn't. Not sure about the material from Carl's, you may wanna check with them first. Also you wanna make sure you have enough distance behind your screen for your projector to fill 7'x 12'

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just any white material won't necessarily hide the hotspot. For example, a white bed sheet doesn't. Not sure about the material from Carl's, you may wanna check with them first. Also you wanna make sure you have enough distance behind your screen for your projector to fill 7'x 12'
I did check with Carls and they said white would be much better then the grey they sell for hot spots. And the garage is 14' wide but I did a test just projecting on the door when it was closed and I can get upto 12 wide. I cant go wider because the height can only be 7' max. I can project on white shower curtains just fine with no hot spot but I cant find that stuff large enough. If I tape them together I see the seams and it looks bad. I tried plastic that painters use but its more clear then white so that didn't work. If the Carl's stuff works I will definitely make a video on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The painters plastic comes in different thicknesses. Have you considered layering a couple of the sheets together? I want to do my garage also and that's the approach I was thinking of trying.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been using a simple white sheet and just projecting directly onto it from the rear. I've been doing that for several years and my parents for even longer. It's worked well for us. We reinforced the edges so we could put grommets in it to attach to hooks that are screwed into the side of the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm very new to this, but i was thinking about the size you need... Would a canvas drop cloth work? Not sure if the material is too thick, but you can get a 12x15 for about $33 or a 9x12 for about $23 both at Lowes. Just a though...t

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm very new to this, but i was thinking about the size you need... Would a canvas drop cloth work? Not sure if the material is too thick, but you can get a 12x15 for about $33 or a 9x12 for about $23 both at Lowes. Just a though...t
I can pretty much guarantee that won't work for rear projection. It needs to be able to shine through the material. Canvas is too thick for that and a lot of them also have plastic backing to it which is probably going to mess with it even more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I make the best stuff for rear projection, just started offering my products for sale, the technology was used by truclearglobal.com

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK5dHdVlV3W_xFjmhh5TOBE4PqNgxs5AB
LiquidPixel Opaque Rear Projection Coating, for $150.00 via Amazon.com: LiquidPixel Opaque Rear Projection Coating: Home Audio & Theater

All I do is rear projection as a coating. I'm a doctor, a physicist, and obsessed over rear projection for over a decade. I have videos posted in my YouTube channel. Some corporation tried to lock down my inventions.
The number on the YouTube video is 281-546-4355

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank, I built a frame and bought a screen from Carl's Place. I made the screen attach to the frame using velcro and it turned out great. But im not a fan of the silver in the grey screen. I should have bought white. Not sure if Ill use it again but I have the frame and screen and it takes like 10 mins to put it all up. And I only have pics of the frame :( I forgot to videotape the screen and the video playing on it.. If I put it up again Ill make a post here showing it off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts