Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I released an article on the history of haunted attractions. It wasn't 't accurate, at all. I posted it here. What are your thoughts on the histery of haunting, pro, and home?

We know that the first commercial haunts, (Jaycees, etc,) in the 70s, but there are other elements, which have been around longer.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Don't know about your article/didn't see it.

Commercial...wasn't haunted Mansion 60's? I'm pretty sure dark rides were in traveling carnivals prior to that. Sideshow type oddities and stuff goes back even further than that. The gorilla girl illusion (a pepper's ghost show) goes back into the 1800s, and I've read of Phantasmagoria shows well into the 1700s (fake seances that used an early form of projector to conjure spirits). Bet you could find more the further back you want to go, too. People like the macabre. At some point, you'll run into technical problems, though, and you're talking plays or telling scary stories.

Home haunting is a fairly recent development, I believe. I mean, you can claim some very specific cultural practices that date back a ways to ward off evil things with scary stuff, but that's probably a stretch, and IMO not the same as haunting.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know wiki isn't the greatest as it's database comes from users, but it's a start.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_attraction_(simulated)

Disneyland haunted mansion opened in 1969. Disney worlds magic kingdom haunted mansion in 1971.
Even a Wiki says that the history is a bit vague . The Haunted mansion tends to be overlooked as a haunted attraction. It's also classified as a dark ride. I also overlooked it, accidentally.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Even a Wiki says that the history is a bit vague . The Haunted mansion tends to be overlooked as a haunted attraction. It's also classified as a dark ride. I also overlooked it, accidentally.
A "dark ride" also isn't what most people think it is. Even "it's a small world" in Disney is considered a dark ride, but that's getting off topic. Lol.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Am I reading this thread wrong? I hope no one here thinks that Disney made the first dark ride permanent haunted house.

I always thought the permanent spooky dark ride came about in the late 20's.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mean to start drama. Lethe Haunted Mansion is classified as a, "haunted house dark ride."

Here's a link on dark rides. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ride

·
Registered
668 Posts
Am I reading this thread wrong? I hope no one here thinks that Disney made the first dark ride permanent haunted house.

I always thought the permanent spooky dark ride came about in the late 20's.
Yes. I wasn't saying that Disney had the first, was just tossing out the date that those in particular were opened.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
After the 1890's Serial-killer , Herman Muddget went to trail somebody opened his "Murder Mansion in Chicago for tours 25 cents a head.
There were all kinds of odd architectural features that he used to confine and kill people with and to handle their bodies after they were no longer living.
This might qualify as the first American Haunted House.
I wonder if the ancient Greek monsters, Medusa, Minator populated the underground maze found on the one Greek island a few thousands of years ago? Or at least their legend populated them, possibly as a "show"?
Anyone just "playing around" with monsters, scary stories always ran the risk of stepping on some "toes" and getting in trouble of varying degrees from the religions of those times, because the "Boogie Man" was supposed to be the forte of the Preaching one, one of the tools to influence others to do what they wanted them to "do" or to Not Do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts