Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some very rustic and spooky looking lanterns for a graveyard scene. They can be plastic or metal, style is more important. They will absolutely be refinished, I doubt they would fit the style without being reworked. They do not need any internal lighting, it would be gutted anyway.

Since I will a bunch price actually does matter.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
I've seen the first one and various versions of the others in home stores for the last month or so.

The first photo shows a Dietz or maybe Colman type, but if it's a Dietz, those are definitely collectable if the used ones and expensive if new. Colman versions aren't much better pricing!

I'd keep an eye out on the thrift stores if it was me. If you don't need them until next Halloween, your cheapest/best route (although most troublesome/time-consuming) would be to watch garage sales, thrifts stores and the goodwill site's auctions and pick them up cheaply as they come.

Did a search for "lantern" on shopgoodwill.com and TONS of different ones came up. But it looks like most of the ones similar to what you want are going to run at minimum $10/each and they seem to be collectable.

If you don't mind repainting a bunch... I just found these priced at $7.24 each but they're light blue! That price appears to only be for the "Horizon Haze" color tho. Not sure what the materials are, but they look pretty close and say they are the 12 inch sized ones, so might be a decent source? Should examine carefully so you can see if these will work for what you want to do since they are LED and may be more difficult to deconstruct...

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
Those are flipping perfect I think, the copper looks excellent.
Yeah, but the copper colored ones are $4 more... so just depends on the $/time you'd spend repainting. But at least they're cheaper than most and you can buy them in quantity!

(I have no idea the reliability/quality of this seller or product... just found this one and the reviews didn't seem terrible and they were cheap!)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, but the copper colored ones are $4 more... so just depends on the $/time you'd spend repainting. But at least they're cheaper than most and you can buy them in quantity!

(I have no idea the reliability/quality of this seller or product... just found this one and the reviews didn't seem terrible and they were cheap!)
Well I was just really glad you saw those. Yeah I may buy the cheapest color if all goes well and the size is good and the painting it figured out. They are going to be internally gutted with different lighting anyway.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Found these lanterns. There are a few more different styles on this site too.

Michael's has these also

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
Found these lanterns. There are a few more different styles on this site too.

Michael's has these also

I really like those too... especially the first one! Good price too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I made these for my graveyard this past season. I was going for kind of a "Ancient European Monastery/Graveyard" look. I made 2 small ones last year (about 7" x 3") and loved them so much that I made 4 large ones (7" x 12") for this year.

I used the flame led bulbs in them.

Here is a vid from Halloween. Fast forward to 2:40 to see the lanterns in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4xBxliokEI&t=44s

The video does not do them justice - the camera gets washed out because of the bright light. Making them was very time consuming but I was very happy with how they turned out and they did a wonderful job of creating the environment I was looking for.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
Those are beautiful! I could see using them year round!!

I made these for my graveyard this past season. I was going for kind of a "Ancient European Monastery/Graveyard" look. I made 2 small ones last year (about 7" x 3") and loved them so much that I made 4 large ones (7" x 12") for this year.

View attachment 726746

Here is a vid from Halloween. Fast forward to 2:40 to see the lanterns in action.

The video does not do them justice - the camera gets washed out because of the bright light. Making them was very time consuming but I was very happy with how they turned out and they did a wonderful job of creating the environment I was looking for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I "haunt" the thrift stores in my area. These show up quite often & sometimes. If they were used on the patio, or other outdoor location. They're already "antiqued" & rusty. usually very cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you don't mind repainting a bunch... I just found these priced at $7.24 each but they're light blue! That price appears to only be for the "Horizon Haze" color tho. Not sure what the materials are, but they look pretty close and say they are the 12 inch sized ones, so might be a decent source? Should examine carefully so you can see if these will work for what you want to do since they are LED and may be more difficult to deconstruct...

Be aware that the lantern above have a blue-ish led light that extends top to the bottom of the glass. So, it just does not look like a lamp flame. I ended up covering the upper part with foil tape, and the used some red and yellow marker on the bottom and ended up with it looking better.

Perhaps 5 months ago, I came across some flickering-flame ones on clearance at AC Moore crafts for only $5. But, in reality the flickering is not realistic. Why do these lamp manufacturer assume that a flame inside a lamp should be flickering like it is in a hurricane?

There is one more challenge I wish would be addressed by simulated flame lantern makers... use plastic instead of glass for the globe. Breakage of glass objects can really make a mess that is hard to clean up. I ended up covering the glass gobe with tape, in an effort to contain any potential breakage. I've also tried shrink-wrap window film with the results becoming wrinkled, but not too bad looking.

-Joe

·
Registered
974 Posts

View attachment 726746

The video link doesn't work when I click on it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well my test subject did come in. Once the pigtails come in I will do a step by step on disassembly, repainting and gutting the lighting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts