Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Haunters,

I was wondering what everyone's opinion or experience was with using 2 X 2 construction and landscape fabric for walls? One of our local stores has the fabric on for $8.49 for a 3 X 50 foot roll... (not too bad). Currently, we construct our walls using 2 X 2's and plywood, and then cover them with black plastic. They are usually in 8 foot sections, with the plywood just along the bottom up to four feet (the size of most plywood boards). It is quite sturdy and stands up to the tot's well, but they are heavy. What has worked well for your haunt walls? I need to think about storage, as we all do as well. :) I have seen Terra's tutorial and wondered if they would work well? I am worried about the inevitable person jumping back into the walls when they get scared, so they need to be sturdy. Thoughts?

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
While I can't comment on the idea about using it for haunt walls directly, landscaping fabric is pretty tear resistant & strong on it's own. I wouldn't foresee a problem with durability even if someone went running face first into a framed wall covered with it at full speed. Although, if that happens, make sure you post it... I could use a good laugh! :)

At minimum though, I'd consider sewing the panels together to prevent anyone from falling through the joints easily. Just a little extra security & liability protection goes a long way, imo.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Don't use 2x2's. They're notoriously prone to warping, even before they get to the store. You're better off using 2x3's or if you really want to use 2x2's, buy 2x4's and rip them in half on a table saw.

Also, landscape fabric isn't fully opaque. Light can pass through it, thanks to the fact that water has to readily pass through it. That said, if you use it on a panel with a heavy, sturdy frame, landscaping fabric is a somewhat stretchy fabric, so you can use it for a pressout wall to scare people, much in the same fashion as the 3D TV prop.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use the cheap canvas drop clothes from Harbor Freight. They are very tough and durable. You need to stretch them on a wood frame before you paint them. The paint will cause the canvas to shrink making it very taut. I then remove the canvas from the frame and hang it for the walls in the haunt. After Halloween I fold them up and store them in a couple of large plastic totes. If you have the storage you can leave the canvas on the frames.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We use the fabric for our spinning tunnel and it works well. It is tear resistant to a point, if you get any type of cut in the fabric, it will continue to tear. One other thing is that it is see through. So if there is lighting on the other side, it will bleed through. I would probably opt for the canvas as well. I think you will be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have been using 2x3's on most of my main partition walls with either black plastic or landscape fabric. The good thing about the landscape fabric is that you can hide behind it and see people coming. I have a drop down panel all framed with 2x3's. The actor behind the frame can see people coming because the hall is dimly lit. All of my halls, for that fact, are dimly lit so you can't see actors on the other side of the fabric. I sometimes use 2x2's for smaller areas that connect the main 2x3 panels. One thing though, keep a staple gun handy. Sometimes tot's will pull the fabric away from the paneling. Many times during our haunt, I have to make quick repairs to the walls.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for all your help. How expensive is the canvas that you use? I would love to try other options that are resusable as we currently tear down the black plastic every year. It becomes expensive for sure. We purchase a 100 foot by 10 foot roll from home depot for about $45 and we need about four rolls for our haunt. If there is something that we can save money on by reusing it, I am definitely game :) Thank you for the suggestion of ripping 2 x 4. It works out to be a lot cheaper from what I have been able to calculate. In fact, it is almost half the price.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Canvas drop cloths aren't horribly expensive, but the expense is enough that the process of switching over to them will probably take a few years. That $45 would probably get you 3 to 5 6'x9' canvas drop cloths.

On the flip side, a similarly sized tarp can be had for under $4.00 if you shop around a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts