Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a "halloween" party Mid October, but plan on only inviting 30 people, assuming 20 will show.

Is that too lame to even bother with?

It's my one-year "anniversary" of my brain surgeries, where I had a tumor removed and some follow-up sugeries to fix my skull. So it's dual-purpose, since I want to celebrate my anniversary and Halloween.

Opinions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Personally, I prefer smaller parties of people I actually know and want to talk to. It really depends on what you all are doing, who knows who, etc. But there's nothing lame about a small party with good friends.

Have fun.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,298 Posts
(Congratulations on your recovery from surgery!)

We do this exact thing. No more than 35 invites maximum, expect a bit over half to show up.

I think it's much more fun, folks get to talk with everyone and mingle, games if there are any are much easier to organize...

I have never EVER wanted a large party - that would freak me right out and the chances of stuff being broken, messes, feeling crowded are much higher when you guest list goes up.

Also, you can do much nicer eats, treats and prizes if you keep your guest list smaller. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks both. I just have a bit of a complex when I see these amazing pictures, posts, and ideas for 200 people and I compare to my small gathering.

You're totally right though - I can go a little crazier with food, goodies, and decorations (of which we'll need to buy many!).

·
Registered
301 Posts
congrats

I want to have a "halloween" party Mid October, but plan on only inviting 30 people, assuming 20 will show.

It's my one-year "anniversary" of my brain surgeries, where I had a tumor removed and some follow-up sugeries to fix my skull. So it's dual-purpose, since I want to celebrate my anniversary and Halloween.

Opinions?
Nothing to do with Halloween, but wanted to say Congrats on the anniversary. My daughter had a brain tumor removed too. She is approaching the 4 year anniversary!

Small parties are sometimes even better than big parties. I say go for it and have fun!

Kaye

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Our house set up allows for a large group without feeling crowded so we invite about 40. Last year I think we had 25 show up. Nothing wrong with a smaller party though. I have thought about doing a small Halloween themed dinner party with family.

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
There are advantages to having a smaller party, and I think 20 people is not too small that your party will feel empty. You will be able to have a larger variety of games that number of people and it's easier to coordinate a smaller group. Like Frankie's Bride said, your prizes can be even better. Also, you will have your closest friends there instead of friends of friends, which is what happens with bigger parties. There is better conversation with closer friends too and you'll have time to relax and chat with them. With a large party, you'll be running around and not have much time to talk - at least that's what happens to me every year. We usually have I think 60-70, most of which leave by 10 pm because they bring their kids.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts

Opinions?
Congratulations on your sucessful brain surgeries!!! That is more of a reason to celebrate than Halloween, Yes I said it...more of a reason:D that is so often and I think a smaller gathering is a much better way to celebrate. I always like the smaller parties because you get to talk more with each person. You will have a ball and again Cheers to you girl and here 's to many many many more Halloween and anniversary celebrations:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aww, thanks everyone. My husband doesn't get Halloween, so I'm happy to have found this forum!

I went to Home Goods the other day and saw skull place card holders. I didn't get them, and I can't find them now! I regret not buying them.... But I've already bought too much this year!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I always invite twice as many people to my annual Halloween party & Haunted maze.
Usually at least half the people show up. So, it's a win / win either way.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I always expect about half to show up as well. But some of our funnest Halloween parties were also the ones not as many people came to. Sometimes the fun really starts when a few of the guests leave. The really fun ones stay and we have a blast.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Congrats on the anniversary, and best wishes for continued good health!!!

As for the party, all you really need is two people to have a party!!! :D:D

I say go for it, and have a great time. The others are right...games are easier to play and you might be able to actually have a conversation with someone! A drawback to the bigger party is that at the end of the evening I feel like I haven't really visited with everyone. But the party seems to have taken on a life of it's own, and EVERYBODY expects to be invited and for it to be a mob scene. Oh well, the price of fame! :eek: LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can have fun with any amount

We have had parties with small groups and they are just as fun. As a matter of fact I prefer them. I try not to invite more then 30. Last year we did go to 40 but I thik that was getting too big. I like to be able to talk to everyone.
But we have problems with the party always being a huge event that we have people asking for invites. Yes, we have had to say no! It is your party so you should have fun so invite who you want and go for it!!! Congrats on your recovery!!!:)

·
Registered
670 Posts

Opinions?
Wow- congratulations on the anniversary of your surgeries!!! What a reason to celebrate!!! I definitely think you should have a party. 20 people is a good crowd. I usually have 100% of the guest list show up. We have a nice sized party every yr (son's birthday). It didn't start out that way, but now they all know that on or around 10/24 we're having a party and they all show+ bring friends. LOL
Hope you have a wonderful time. Life is so short I came very close to dying in2006. Doctor gave me a 40% chance to live and here I am!!!! I say party, party party!!! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hope you have a wonderful time. Life is so short I came very close to dying in2006. Doctor gave me a 40% chance to live and here I am!!!! I say party, party party!!! :)
Congratulations to you!

Thanks everyone for the support. I really want to have it, but I'm still hesitant for some reason. DH and I are still thinking if it makes sense. I'm super excited about it, but want to make sure before I pull the invite trigger!

·
Registered
210 Posts
We've had parties with anywhere between 6 people to 30 people, and personally, I thought the parties with 12-20 people were the best. There always seems to be some kind of mayhem (not the fun kind either) that happens when parties get too large. Go for it! You think you regret not buying those placecards? You will really regret not having a party! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts