Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
That really is awful. Children should be a healthy weight of course but this is once a year and you have no idea why that child is overweight. We had a child in the neighborhood on steroids for a condition which made her heavy and there was nothing she could do about it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm afraid if she were to give this to someone I knew, all my Christian values might go out the window and through hers. I see this a form of bullying and discrimination. Man I hope they post a story after to see what the ramifications were from this.

·
Registered
650 Posts
So....when did we the public vote in this woman as"The Candy& health Police" ?

F

·
0 Posts
Why do the skinny kids need candy? Candy and sweets are kinda the culprit that leads to obesity.

Just, wow.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are no words for this woman. How dare she do something like that, she better hope a parent doesn't get in her face.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Larry would kick me off the forum for using the language that went through my mind as I read the article.:eek: If she was serious about fighting childhood obesity she could find a healthier alternative to give out instead of a self-righteous, demeaning letter. Her method isn't going to change the situation and she is too self-absorbed being the weight police that she doesn't realize that giving candy to skinny kids might make them obese some day. As petty and immature as it is, I hope someone treats her with an equal amount of humiliation.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
While I think an very large number of kids, and adults as well, are doing a huge dis-service to themselves that will either make them very sick down the road or kill them by gaining so much weight (and as a nation we are headed for a very sick population), I think doing a letter is in such poor taste. She should just turn off her lights. I see some tricks coming her way.

We kind of struggle each year with handing out candy due to all the pounds of sugar that get consumed but choose to hand out the smaller snack size candy (although I have put together a ziplock with usually five pieces of different candy, so not sure it makes a difference). I try not to make it all chocolate, and switch up kinds of candy but honestly it really is still pretty much sugar. I hated getting apples as a kid so don't want to go that route. The fruit gummy candies we gave out one year still have a lot of carbohydrates and dentists say they are worse for you since they stick to your gumline until you brush well. I have also altered handing out less candy and adding glow bracelets which surprisingly go over well. Of course I wonder what happens to all those glow bracelets after they stop doing them chemical thing and become a disposal isssue that really didn't need to happen.

Tough choices for those handing out candy and trying to be responsible on one level or another. The letter and singling out those overweight kids is really a bad choice. I'm still shaking my head over hearing this.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts