Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I don't PERSONALLY get the doll fear and fascination. I know there are a number of folks on here that like creepy dolls for Halloween.

I was watching Destination Truth last night, as I do every week. They typically try to find some wierdo monster in the middle of nowhere, but I like seeing the local, typically tribal customs they run across.

Well, last night they went to Isla De Las Munecas...and there's a whole MESS of deformed dolls used in ways I haven't personally seen before. If you want some inspiration for creepy doll uses...here's real life inspiration. :eek: I've seen plenty of doll rooms in my day, not Doll FORESTS.

And some bonus video from the show I dug up:

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
ok, the doll eye popping open freaked me out!! LOL But my zombie doll I'm making does the same thing - therefore I was forced to hot glue her eyes open! LOL

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
OMG! Ive never heard of this show but Im soooo gonna be on the look out for it
The Island of Dead Dolls...

"Only in Mexico... for over 50 years the reclusive hermit Julian Santana lived alone on a small island in Teshuilo Lake sandwiched in the canal-lands between Xochimilco and Mexico City. La Isla de las Muñecas as it has come to be known is a place rich in myth and legend. The story goes that three girls were visiting the island long ago and one drowned, leaving the island haunted by her spirit... when taking residence there, Santana put up a doll as protection. This gesture soon became habit, as he began to scour the city's rubbish heaps, and amassed a huge collection of dolls that he would tie to trees, or place in a special shed with an altar. Locals began to take their boats out to trade their old dolls for Santana's home-grown vegetables and the collection blossomed. La Isla de las Muñecas became home to over a thousand dead dolls in various states of decay, and following the eccentric hermit's demise the city has planned to build a museum on the site, to be curated by Santana's nephew."

While the idea that figures that represent humans can contain their souls is an old one, it is sincerely creepy none the less. I highly recommend a google image search on this one. It's like a puppet version of Apocalypse Now.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I watched this with my boyfriend last night. It was creepy but it didn't creep me out very much. I don't know, maybe because I'm Mexican and got exposed very early in age to things like "el cucuy" (equivalent to boogie monster), dia de los muertos and stuff like that in our culture, I was unphased. :D The whole time I was thinking, eh, big deal. I was also thinking how it would make a neat theme for Halloween next year. I know dolls scare the crap out of a lot of people, right up there with clowns.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
PTG - You made me LOL! :D I had this vision of me prying the glue off so her eyes could close, and her saying "Thank you mommy!" in that creepy doll voice! LMAO ok, now I've freaked myself out all over again!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts