1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
44 Posts
Southern Tier brewing has named their new seasonal beer after this creature.

Krampas

·
Registered
440 Posts
Awww... Why can't we have stuff like this happen here... =[ That's awesome btw!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I think I need to visit sourthern Germany next year for St Nick.
Much better than here in the Netherlands where St Nick is accompanied by black servants.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Interesting to say the least! I wonder how that one got started... anyone know off hand?

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most sources I can find say he is a hold over from Pre-christian mythologies of the region. I have found references to him as the bringer of winter and also periodically mentioned as a fertility symbol.

there are a few other characters in Europe similar to him as companions of St Nick

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
The Christmas Holiday is starting to get a bit more interesting.
Why DON'T we have this here? shrug shoulders, I duuno.

But I think we should spread the word. There's alot of naughty people that need to
know about the Krampus !
I am starting with my Grandbabies.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Oh, that is SO cool! Scare the Dickens out of naughty children right before Christmas... Why, oh why, didn't OUR forefathers adopt that tradition?

Great masks, too.

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
Child , oh please do get busy with those Carols....
We need to spread the word !
Amd MUSIC is the best way to communicate !

I did find a couple of modern Krampus Christmas Cards for sale on the web.
Think there should be more. ( hey Hallmark are your reading this....!)
I know I am going to send out Krampus Cards this year ! Guess I will make my own., tho.
I am ditching the cute little santa guy.

And Krampus ornaments? Didn't find any of those in my search.
Just Krampus post cards.
Think I will start a collection. Hum?

Yes, the story of Krampus will be told this weekend to my Grandkids....
BOOOOOOwaaaahhhaaaa !
And the Krampus will get cya if you don't watch out !

(I said Krampus kids, not Grandpas....LOL ! )

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
wow dariusobells, Fantastic pictures!! Bavaria's scary Christmas tradition looks like something we as a group should all get together and go over and enjoy, Wicked! So Krampus is even known to give women spankings,hmmm, how about a trip to Bavaria ladies;)

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd be careful about those Spankings. Krampus as well as being the bringer of winter (which makes it logical for him to be a goat since the goats come down from the high meadows in winter) he was also something of a fertility figure in early mythos... likley something to do with the high number of births in the spring.

·
Registered
42 Posts
this kicks so much booty!!!

we threaten kids with lumps of coal...the german's use Krampas! i'm switchin to the german method. my kids are going to be soooooo well behaved after i show them those pics and tell them what will happen if they don't behave....muuuuahahahahahaaaa!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
hmmm, nah I think I'd still take my chances, and besides I love the cold and lots of snow, and the fertility thing may come in handy one day;)

·
Grand WaZoo
848 Posts
Krampus!

Gives me that good ole Christmas cheer down to my rotten bones! Ho Ho Ho ..... Die!!!

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts