Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an oversized knife switch for my mad lab setup. Does anyone know where I can find one?

I know they make small versions for hobby electronics, but I want the oversized Frankenstein switch :)

eBay is only pulling up the smaller versions, and on Google I see where some people built some themselves. I was hoping to find one that may work so I can control some lighting and dials with it.

Thanks!

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Don't think they really make those large working knife switches since the current is actually running through all that exposed metal of the knife. You could easily build one yourself out of metal or wood and to keep it safe, use a small momentary push button switch at the top/bottom of were the switch gets engaged. That way it would be functional and yet safe to the touch.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Good advice !

No way do you want a switch based on a knife design dealing with any kind of voltage or current for that matter. Make it a prop and use conventional safe switch and wiring to take care of the electrical. Unless of course you are looking for the realistic smoking hair look !! LOL

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL I will take the smoking hair!! JUST KIDDING!!

I like the idea of the momentary push button on the switch, turning it on when it's engaged... Any ideas what kind of parts to use to construct the "knife" portion? I'd like to keep it somewhat authentic looking...

Kind of like the attachment

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
You could build it simply out of wood or metal bars screwed together.

then something like this

would work for the clipping part for the knives to engage into.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What'd you search for on eBay? I can't seem to find anything under "knife switch" or "double pole, double throw" or anything like that.

I imagine if I am only putting a small bit of current through it, it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Arbor Scientific Online! - Knife Switch, Double Pole, Double Throw
Looks close to the one that the consumer electronics store that rhymes with radio snack sells:

RadioShack.com

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bradbaum, great work on the custom build! I'm not that talented...the radio shack one is what i want, but about 100 times larger :)....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts