Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story: My previous cemetery fence was supported every 16' with a column made out of a frame of 2x3's, covered with 1" styrofoam, and had a base and cap made up of 16" square concrete paving blocks. There were 5 columns and 64' of fence which was set up in a U shape. The fence posts stood 39" tall with a fleur-de-lis finial on each post. It looked so real that neighbors actually came over to see the new "iron" fence and stone columns. The whole thing was rock solid. I sold the fence to another haunter when I was planning on moving 2 years ago.

This year I've constructed 160' of new fence in the same design for my new house. I was hoping that I could use 4' rebar hidden inside the posts (2' in the ground and 2' in the posts, with 2 pieces per 8' length of fence), but my test this weekend showed that the 80' length by the street is *very* wobbly. Cars drive by at 25mph and it moves. Certainly not the solid fence I had with the columns.

I have very limited space to store things at this house. So, I'm trying to imagine how to build a set of columns that would be sturdy, but, equally important, can be easily stored.

My first thought was to use a set of frames that somehow knock down. However, even though I see that hollow inside of the column, every column design that I've come up with uses just as much space to store as the full 2x3 frame design. Any bright ideas before I start building the full 2x3 frames this weekend? I figure I need to build at least 6 of these, so I really need to start soon.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just built a set of columns for our outside set up this year. I wish I had given some thought to how to store them before building them, as they're going to be a huge pain to store.

One of the things I really liked was making one of the panels attach with magnets, making it easy to take off and put on. With enough magnets, I imagine you could mount all of the panels like this, making them easy to take off. You would just need to figure out how to make the frames collapsible or partially-collapsible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First time I’ve posted. We use discarded fencing cut down to about 30” and reassembled. We use U-shaped pipe clamps on the back (about 4 per panel) that slip over 4’ pieces of rebar. It only leaves a thumb-sized hole when Halloween is over. The panels are stored in the back yard and the more they age, the better they look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts