Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sculptress of Scare
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here's the issue. My neighbor whose house is behind mine has a beautiful little black and white kitty. Every spring she delivers a litter of kittens and of course, she's pregnant again. I've asked numerous times why they don't get her fixed. Their answer is always the same..."we can't catch her". This is totally unacceptable in my opinion. Granted, this cat is very skiddish and won't let me near her. However, I suggested a humane animal trap, but they just can't seem to be bothered. They're obviously feeding her, so it seems pretty simple to me. She keeps hanging around my yard because it's nice and quiet unlike their own yard with 3 dogs and a couple of very noisey parrots. I even offered to trap her for them and they said no, they'll take care of it. I thought about doing the trapping myself, but they bristled at that idea and even if I did catch her, I'm not about to be responsible for taking care of this. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Move.

Ok, bad joke... my parents had something like this happen to them, and the cat kept coming back to their backyard to have the kittens. My dad had a heck of a time trying to catch them all the time, and get homes for all these cats.

If it were me, I would call the Humane Society, and get their advice... they might have some good suggestions of what to do in a situation like this, if the neighbors won't stop feeding them.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Two words cayenne pepper. You sprinkle that across your yard line and that cat wont come back and everytime it rains sprinkle some more. They will smell it and not come back trust me. I can verfy this also b/c when i get done eating dinner i always give the dog and cat something so they dont feel left out or what not but come jambalaya night he turns his face inside out squints and runs off and no i dont feed the cat hot food but the dog loves it. And i have had problems with cats crappin my yard and neighbors walking their dogs up into MY YARD taking a dump. So i tried this the pets get a good smell of it and dont want in your yard. Its not painful it doesnt hurt them its just a obstacle for them.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Call the humane Society. I hate to see an animal taken away but, the people are being very irrepsonisble. I have cats myself and have watched out for the neighbors cat a block over because, they let them run and we live next to a busy street. I even found one dead behind our house last summer and it had crawled from the street to it's dying location. Broke my heart but, I called the cops and made sure that they did a scan for an implant chip to contact the owner. With that many cats running around I would be worried. Definitely call.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Definitely call the H.S. These guys clearly don't care that they're responsible for cranking out litters of feral cats. Take it out of their hands.

·
I'll get you my pretty!
550 Posts
i had exactly the same problem with a girl who lives behind me. first kitten her cat had wasn't looking after. i rehomed it when it was blown into my garden in the wind when it was only 3 months old & let out alone. she was already bored with it - plus the mother was pregnant again. second time cat had kittens she found homes for all but kept one - it was taken off her by one of the people who had taken one of it's sisters - again - the kitten she kept was out wandering at 3 months. 3rd time the cat got pregant she was coming to my garden regulary & my next door neighbours for food - neighbour enticed her to stay a few nights & cat eventually stayed there, had her kittens there & homes were found for all the kittens. my neighbour got the cat spayed & she's very happy now. idiot girl has now aquired 2 more young cats - one of which has already been in heat & i have seen it with 2 males so no doubt pregnant already. rspca (british humane society) have been out to her already - think it may ne time for someone to give them another call (wasn't me before - other neighbours were concerned for the animals) she's not capable of looking after them & it's not fair on the animals. i would definately call the humane society. the animal is not resposible for what is happening to it & has no life being constantly pregnant. if the owner won't do anything about it - then you should.

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
I would still call the human society, and just ask what they suggest to do, I think it woudl be doing the cat a great service to have her captured and fixed, it isn't good for her, or the many kittens she is producing, maybe they can suggest a low priced spay clinic, around her we have several privat organizations that step up and fix feral, (which she sorta is) and return them, fix and release so to speak. I would try to find out about the different organizations in your area, you would be suprised what there is out there, great people having their own private rescue and non kill rescue agencies

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually the H.S. may have a legal leg to move in and act. I had to call them because my old neighbor was abusing this beautiful Rottie puppie. I called, they sent some people to investigate, and ended up taking the puppy, fixing him up (he needed stitches, for what looked like a knife wound) and found him a home.

I say call and find out. Take care and good luck :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Animal Control or Humane Society. Or do a google search for cat trap and release. There's places that catch feral and semi-feral cats to get them fixed because there's way too many cats in the world and a lot of them don't have a happy ending.

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
We have had a similar problem with a Feral Cat. I agree with Succub'Oz.
Call your local Humane Society and ask who in your area provides catch and release program. If you just call Animal Control the cat will most likely be put to sleep since Feral cats are rarely adoptable.

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
The cats roaming and reproducing unchecked also increases the prevalence of feline lukemia and feline AIDS in the area which can affect cats that are well kept after.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts