Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Kit74 in and having somewhat of some problems.

I ordered a kit74 preassembled
i also ordered a USB to Db25 cable ( hoping to use the Laptop to run it all)

so i plug in the power to the board and the cable ( installed the drivers for cable)

the lights flash on and off and 3 of the LED's turn off rest are on. so i load up VSA and just make a short thing to see if the LED's will turn on and off.

nothing but #1 comes on and off no matter if i add something to #1 or #5 or even #8 and it is just the light i see one the #1 no sound from the relay.

Is this all normal? or should i just get a DB25 male/Female connector to go to my PC? or can anyone tell me where and what cable you are using. I am flustered and Halloween is getting closer.

Before you ask it showed up on port com8 which i changed in settings and left the baud at 9600 ( not sure if that is right) and tried every option of Relay and nothing worked correctly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It sounds like you got a USB-Serial adapter cable and the Kit74 works off of a parallel port. You can buy a USB-parallel port cable as well but from what you are saying it is asking you to set the baud rate which indicates it is operating like a serial port.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cable i am using is Cables To Go - 6ft Port Authority USB Serial DB25 Adapter come to find out this cables drivers for vista64 is not signed so i cannot use on laptop so i am using on the regular PC.

Sorry maybe i wrote that wrong on the baud rate i just double checked that it showed the right com port and it was set already at a 9600 under settings>portsettings showed com8 9600 ( i did not change the baud)

I just ordered a Cables To Go - 15ft DB25 M/F Extension Cable just to get this working hopefully this is right cable?

Azdude you happen to have a link to a USB to parellel port cable? want to make sure i get the right thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help will order up the other cable another time see if this new one i ordered is correct.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im new here, so i don't want to step on any toes. I happen to have a kit74, I use it to control xmas lights. Im pretty sure that you can't control it with USB. I was under the impression that you have to have the actual harware mapping to activate the relays?

·
Registered
195 Posts
just making sure, in vsa setup, you do have each channel of the relay card set up with different addresses?
setting page...
track | Name | Type | Port | Addr | +Value |- Value | Default
[] 1 dev1 | lpt relay| LPT1 | 0 |
[] 2 dev2 |lpt relay | LPT1 | 1 |
[] 3 dev3 |lpt relay | LPT1 | 2 |

etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually that is my problem i have with the USB cable i have ( guess it goes to serial) so everything sows up as a com connection for example i tried every * Relay and the connection was not lpt1 but com8 or com9 that is the problem

New cable shows out to be delivered right now so we shall see.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the new Cable in today and guess what... works perfectly so now i have a couple days to do a couple songs and such in VSA

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad you found your bug... and a lesson to all of us... a usb to db25 wont work.
You must have usb to db25 ieee 1284!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Here's a question to all kit74 users:

I just bought a kit74 but I didn't get the power supply adapter since there's a computer surplus store nearby that has a lot of power plugs. Can someone tell me the voltage and amperage for the kit74?

Thanks

Victor

·
Registered
334 Posts
K74

Ok I have a real mystery on my hands and I am hoping that someone will know how to fix this?

I am using the newest version of the VSA program and I have run into a problem. On one of the device channels (LPT2-05) will perform perfectly up unit a certain point and than it will not work at all.

I have deleted the program after that point and nothing that I program after that point will work. Now here is the weird part, if I delete programming a little before that point it is still running as if it was still programmed.

Has anyone run into this problem?

Oh one other thing, the LPT board still lights up for that channel but the light does not go on.

Maybe one of you know what is happing here I sure dont.

Thx PMT

G

·
0 Posts
PMT, I have no real idea but it sounds like a software glitch. You might try opening another instance of VSA and copy all the channels except the problematic one to the new instance and then layout the problem track on another channel (dont use LPT2-5).

Just a thought...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts