Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And here's the handle. I was originally going to do a more traditional handle that has the curved bar attached to the plate but the more i looked at older wooden doors for reference i noticed that the older ones had the hanging ring for the handle most of the time and i think that style is more what I'm looking for so I went ahead and made the ring style. I designed the plate and cut it out like the hinges. The ring is from a towel holder set. I was actually able to use the part that holds the ring as well. i was going to make my own but i think it looks pretty good. The ring is a bit big but it works. I was able to give the wood the pitted look as well using the same technique as the plastic. I am pretty pleased with how it came out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The fronts all done! the foam is expanding a bit during the day when the sun is on it so its popping off in some spots so hopefully it'll still be up by the big day. ha ha!!

also all most done with the side wall. its going to have a skull behind the big hole and a skelly hand coming out the smaller one. wanted to put the whole body in the wall like it was plastered over but didn't have time so i settled for a head and hand.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And here's something i came up with on the fly. while i was finishing up the side wall i found that it would be pretty easy to give the skull some life. i took an oscillating fan i salvaged from the dumpster a while back and attached a scrap piece of conduit to it so i could attach a neck piece. the skull just sits on the neck piece. works perfectly. I'm also in the process of trying to get the hand to move as well. its a simple movement but adds a bit to it. the pirate skull is a stand in until i can get my others out of storage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This thread was one of the reasons I decided to register on this forum. Love what you've done with your porch! I have a porch and I've never been able to think of what to do with it other than hang up cheap target motion-activated trinkets. I really want to try something like this in the future.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks everyone!!!! :D

I'm stoked that i could inspire some of you. that's awesome. I hope you post progress on your projects so i can keep up with them.

Ok, here's a few pics. i have done some changes since i took them but ill take some updated ones soon. I've gotta go edit some video for my projections right after this, I'm behind!!:D

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Came back to check on your latest photos and so glad I did. Man that door came out fantastic. From the woodgrain to the hammered hinges to your custom plate. Curious if when you were going to attach the ring hardware to it if you had to back it with some wood to have it hold?

Hoping we have some nighttime photos coming. The house and yard look so incredibly good. I'm sure people driving by thought it was the face of a real house.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks every one!!!

Your technique for the wood grain... Where did you learn that? Is it trial and error or did you find a tutorial somewhere?
I did some research before attempting it. several videos on youtube inspired me, a few of them i posted on one of the first posts i did on this thread. before i actually did the door i also did a couple test pieces just to make sure it was going to work. it's really fun seeing it come together while doing it. not to hard either.

Came back to check on your latest photos and so glad I did. Man that door came out fantastic. From the woodgrain to the hammered hinges to your custom plate. Curious if when you were going to attach the ring hardware to it if you had to back it with some wood to have it hold?

Hoping we have some nighttime photos coming. The house and yard look so incredibly good. I'm sure people driving by thought it was the face of a real house.
Thanks!

Do you mean the ring to the plate? If so then no it screws right on with its original screws. then i glued everything to the door with gorilla glue. :)

You have inspired me to facade my house next year. I can't wait as the ideas are rushing through my brain already
Awesome!! hope to see your progress here next year. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok, so finally here's some pics of the final result. sorry it took so long but life keeps getting in the way. i wasn't able to put up every thing i wanted to this year due to the weather. it rained hard all week and then we got rained out about 6 o'clock on the big day. still had lots of fun and had a few people come by before the big rain hit. Happy to say that even with all the rain and wind that everything held up perfectly. the walls hardly budged at all with one exception being the one on the end near the projector wall pooped off due to the wood frame warping from all the moister. I'm guessing that's what happened anyway. couldn't see anything else wrong with it. but that was easily fixed thankfully. The walls are actually still up. ha ha!! haven't had time to take it down yet. At least the neighbors like it, they keep saying to leave it up. ha ha!

On to the pics. I have video as well but I'm still editing it. hopefully ill get it up before next year. ha ha!

·
Registered
398 Posts
What kind of idiot would spend this much time and effort on Halloween? Oh wait. I did it too. Never mind. I wish I had been as productive. Great job!. I know it was a lot of work. Will you be starting on the house next door right way or take some time off? : - )

21 - 40 of 42 Posts