Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kindo's haunt props 2017!(8-17 Coffin wood test)

Hey guys! been a while. i got several projects on the to do list this year so i thought id put the majority of my progress in one thread. i am so late this year, well better than last year i guess. lol! I wanted to get started about a month or 2 ago. it's been so hot that it's hard to get anything done. guess that's why i waited last year. lol!

it wasn't so bad today so i was able to go outside and start working on a grave stone. hopefully the first of many this year but we'll see how it goes. lol! this is the first one i have done. I actually started this one last year but didn't have time to finish it. at first it was 2 inches thick but didn't look right to me so i added another layer of 1 inch foam and now i'm happy with a 3 inch thickness. trying to keep it simple at first to get the hang of it. i have carved a lot of foam last year for my faux walls so that helps. at first i was only going to put the name and dates but then i started thinking about some details and got inspired a bit. i found some wiccan symbols that i liked so i gave one a shot and did a practice run on a scrap piece of foam. I liked it so much i cut it out and i might add it to the stone some how. might make it look like an insert on the front or maybe on top.

This is the text and some detail i'm thinking about

and the detail test piece i just carved

Nothing to exciting yet but ill get there. lol!:D

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Nice to see you posting again Kindo! I'm liking the new tombstone a lot especially the moon and star design. 3 inches does look better to me too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks spookie! it's good to be posting again. was hoping to do a lot more during the off season but things kept getting in the way.

I started on the second stone a few days ago. It's actually scrap that came from the windows i cut in the walls from last year. perfect shape and all ready cut out, 2 for one deal. it's also going to be 3 inches thick, actually i think all my stones will be at this point. It's super easy to cut the notches out for the pvc im using to slip over the stakes in the ground. just got to cut out 2 slots for em and glue them in. much better than having to dig it out with a dremal. I would be further along but one of my cats got sick the day i started on the second stone so i've been doing nothing but taking care of the big goof for 7 days. having to watch him like a hawk so i cant go out side and work. Think he's starting to do better now so hopefully i can start up again. I got a few toe pincher coffins planed as well so think ill be starting on those next. ones going to be half out of the ground and one full one. going to be foam with wood grain done the same as the door from last year. Really looking forward to the coffins, been wanting to do them for a long time.

I use gripper to glue the layers together. works pretty good but doesn't sand very well.

then i weigh it down with a bunch of stepping stones i've got laying around. usually let them set over night but a few hours in this heat would probably dot it.

i used PL 300 foamboard to glue the pvc in the first stone so ill be doing the same for the second.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, little more progress. got some skeletons out of the closet to work on the shape of the coffins. i just laid the skele down on the foam and went from there. there plenty of measurements and instructions out there but went ahead and did it my self. think it came out looking the way i want it to but my OCD is kicken in cause it's not super symmetrical and i'm wondering if i should make a pattern so i can make sure it is, but then on the other hand it is a beat up old coffin so does it really need to be if it looks good? probably not, i'm just being picky. lol! Hopefully ill be getting to the more interesting fun parts in the next few days.

I used some 1x to help me visualize the shape of the coffin while i was doing the measurements.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a little more done. cut out the bottom despite my OCD, it's fine. lol! I also did a test piece of wood to get my self familiar again. turned out pretty well. I'm going for a really beat up looking wood like its been in the ground a while. i painted it black for the base coat and then dry brushed some brown on. i used a darker brown as the base for my door with a black wash after ward so the black base technique is new to me. kinda like it, looks like old wood. might work out for the whole thing. more testing to be done. Ill get pics of the wood piece with the brown on it tomorrow. Its still drying. :D

Haven't worked on the stones much but they're a side project mostly anyway. probably wont have to many of them this year. Unless i can catch up.

The black would work really well for chard wood.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Walls are done. just need to do the back and the lid. The lid is going to be broken open about half way down to expose the lucky occupant. I plan to line the inside with some old fabric but i did add some light wood grain on the inside as well in case i want to go without the fabric.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks crafter!

I am done with the carving for the most part, still some tweaks here and there but pretty much all that needs to be done before i glue it together is to seal it with a heat gun.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts