Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a story on Yahoo https://www.yahoo.com/news/cemetery-bones-tossed-trash-families-034139172.html
about a cemetery that was left in disarray. It's so sad but I know it's happening more and more. Frog and I hunt out cemeteries on our travels and those in the card exchanges get a chance to see some of the pictures we've taken while visiting. It's really sad to think those in care of the land used for burials don't care what happens to the remains. Here was an Old Old place possibly having remains from the US's earliest days, basically ruined because of greed and neglect. Our own local pioneer cemetery was long thought to be empty. A high water table was said to force the removal of most to a nearby cemetery. The few remaining including Civil War Vets were though to have been moved when the railroad came through and later a main road. Fast forward a good number of years to the Historical Society getting donated funds for Ground Imaging. Come to find 40+ bodies are still there, what markers were there went missing years and years ago, the 2 left are unreadable. The records for the cemetery were lost in a 1919 house fire... yes the official records were kept in the attic of someone's house. I can think of at least 2 more cemeteries locally given even worse care. One in Seattle currently has houses built over it and underground workers still find remains when doing repairs. The story of poor Comet Lodge can be found here - https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/comet-lodge-cemetery-3

Thanks for letting me soap box.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
How appropriate I just got a notification about this new vid from Caitlyn Doughty's "Ask a Mortician" channel. It's a METAL CEMETERY!!

And Atlas Obscura's companion vid

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
A couple of years ago they were widening a highway in Oklahoma City. When they started knocking houses down they found an abandon cemetery in a field. It turns out it was a pet cemetery. They announced anyone could remove their pet's tombstone if they wanted it. I don't imagine to many family members remembered where Rover ended up. After a couple of months they announced anyone who wanted any tombstones could come and remove them, themselves. I begged my husband to let me get a tombstone but he wouldn't let me. The field has been plowed up. I wonder how many tombstones were plowed under.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts