Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom is usually the one to decorate our house for Halloween, so our average decorations are $1 crap stuff from Wal-mart taped to the front of our house. This Halloween I really want to do something awesome. I was thinking a Killer Klowns From Outer Space theme, since that is one of my favorite movies. What are some awesome props that I can make to fit in with this theme?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,862 Posts
If you're pretty good with paper mache, then try to do the scary clown masks and and build forms to make a couple of the klowns full size to stand in the yard.

You can buy the masks out on the internets if you don't want to try to make them.

You can also make the giant cotton candy pods - I figure if you get really big bags and inflate balloons and put them inside to make the form, you could wrap them with fake spider webbing and then spray paint them pink and get a pretty good look. (this is just me thinking how I would do it - no promises that it would work :eek: so test it out on a small version before you attempt the full sized ones :eek: )

Jack in the box - really evil looking one ...

If you can get access to a projector, scary shadow puppets projected on a wall or garage door...

A tattered circus tent and lots of popcorn scattered all over the yard...

·
Registered
591 Posts
I was just looking on ebay and saw some evil clown masks on there. depending on where you live you may be able to go to one of those surplus stores and find an old parachute to make into a circus tent.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Depending if this is just a decorated house, or a haunt, different props will apply.

For decorating, lots of circus/carnival signs, gaudy as you can get, with a sinister twist. How about one of those little clown signs that say, “You must be THIS tall to ride”, but have a bloody heart in his hand?

Buckets of popcorn scattered about (try spraying popcorn with sealer, so they last). Might not be a bad idea to have various small body parts and blood mixed in with the popcorn. Maybe an abandoned tray of hot dogs, with fingers and hands in the buns. Or the same with cotton candy, and doesn’t that one in the center look like a severed head with pink hair?

I wonder if it’s possible to make evil looking balloon dogs? I twist balloon animals, but have never tried that. (of course, you could have a balloon dog leap out of somewhere to scare the ToTs.)

Paint a life sized clown or two, and cut out the faces so that people can stick their head through and take pictures.

Make a nice clown dummy to put on display a few weeds before Halloween, and dress like and replace him the night of.

Creepy Calliope and/or Merry-go-round music. To the Shock of Miss Louise by Thomas Newman is an excellent piece.

If you’re going to haunt, funny yet sinister props are a must for your actors. A clown carrying around a big, comical looking TNT plunger. One with a BIG, comical looking sledgehammer, (Like a bellringer from hell).

Personally, I’d see about making a clown stalker costume (backpack puppet).

All of this may be more than you wish to do, but it was just brainstorming.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm working with a very small house (we live in a mobile home park). I'll try to run out and shoot a picture of it tomorrow when it's light out. No garage, not much of a backyard. Just the house, a driveway, a tiny pathway in the back of the house leading to the other side, and the other side consists of a small garden (more like, tiny dead palm tree and colorful rocks) area.

I've got a lot of great ideas so far, thanks! I'm thinking about getting some partitions to cover up the trees that are between my house and the neighbor's house and possibly putting some paper & painting a dark, circus background, or finding one of those cheap-o plastic wall-pictures they usually sell at Party City.

I'm definitely going to try to get the Killer Klowns masks, I bought the Tiny costume last year, but the darn company put me through hell and back and then told me they were sold out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
LOL 1$ crap! Well if there happened to be a UFO or other space craft maybe make something like that with clowns coming out of it. (ive never seen the movie so....)

·
Banned
58 Posts
I'm not familiar with the movie but that wont stop me....

Killer Clowns hmmm...from what I gather some people are totally creeped out by clowns. Since outerspace is up and not many people feel like leaping out of the sky....I say rise from above....lemme explain....

First check to see where all water, gas piping is.....then as a person above suggested make a bunch of paper mache clown heads....place just heads on the ground. Incorporate a strobe light to make artificial movement.....next dig a hole in the middle of these heads large enough to accomodate your body in a crouching position....gather leaves around you.....in front of you place a bowl/basket etc of candy....even create a sign with a light on it directing tot'ers to the bowl....just when they get close enough jump out!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi isabella, If you want to get some of the official klown mask, haloweenexpress

Killer Klowns

they have lower prices than bump in the night productions and they stock whats on there site. You can find cupon codes for them on google. Thats were i got some of mine. YouTube - Killer klowns from outer space mask and prop collection

As for ideas on what to do.

Klown ground breaker.

Pvc dummy klown

Get a table and have a bowl of candy or popcorn with a popcorn klown puppet sticking out. You could have someone under the table working the puppet. He could bite at people when they reach for candy.

Mabey a klown hand sticking out of the ground holding bloody baloons.

You could get some sheets for a backdrop and use some painters tape to paint them with a striped patern to look like a circus tent.

Here are a bunch of scary clown masks made by shoulish productions, there not from the movie but they do look cool.

Sounds like a awsome idea, you should post some pics when you do it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm a little late to jump in on this post, but we do have Killer Klowns in stock at Halloween Asylum. Thanks for the mention Matt. As Robocop posted the picture from my blog about the new Ghoulish Productions clown masks I thought I would add that their quality is amazing. The Jester mask in the photo is quite large and absolutely awesome. These will be much lower in price than a licensed Killer Klown mask and frankly, the quality is much better. Chuck Jarman of Bump in the Night makes the Killer Klowns and I think he has excellent designs, but the production quality coming from China hasn't been the best. In Houston, he told me that he's found a new factory there that will be turning out higher quality goods for him, so we'll see what comes in for 2009.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For the cotton candy, a big bag of polysester stuffing from the fabric/craft area of WalMart would probably be a lot cheaper than spiderwebbing, although it may not spread as well. Or maybe use the stuffing as your base coat, and then some spiderweb for the finshing touches (and then paint it pink, of course!).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts