Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Dinsmore-Densmore?" Was the name of the family who had a stables and tavern in what is now my haunted house,The Ravens Grin Inn from maybe 1905 to 1924
The young girl who rented a horse from them one day was riding just 2 blocks away when one of them new-fangled automobiles scared the rented horse , he threw her, she hit her head on the brick street.
Three days later she regained consciousness , her worried Father was sitting right there, the first thing his little daughter Ruth said was "I didn't pay them the 25 cents for the horse yet!"
Ruth would much later happen to be my First Grade Teacher, then much later my first Wife;s Grandmother.
This old Inn has been haunted since at least 1925.
A "Woman" in a white dress appears in the one corner of the wine cellar, floats across the room, vanishes..
Right here in little Mount Carrol, Illinois.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I love checking out everyone's haunts this time of year!

I LOVE your zombies. Did you buy them, or make them yourself?
The male and female zombie together are from Spirit. Everyone loved them! The singular male zombie is a combination of the swaying zombie kit from Spider Hill prop works and the mask and hands are from Death Studios.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Dinsmore-Densmore?" Was the name of the family who had a stables and tavern in what is now my haunted house,The Ravens Grin Inn from maybe 1905 to 1924
The young girl who rented a horse from them one day was riding just 2 blocks away when one of them new-fangled automobiles scared the rented horse , he threw her, she hit her head on the brick street.
Three days later she regained consciousness , her worried Father was sitting right there, the first thing his little daughter Ruth said was "I didn't pay them the 25 cents for the horse yet!"
Ruth would much later happen to be my First Grade Teacher, then much later my first Wife;s Grandmother.
This old Inn has been haunted since at least 1925.
A "Woman" in a white dress appears in the one corner of the wine cellar, floats across the room, vanishes..
Right here in little Mount Carrol, Illinois.
Very interesting story Gym! I see your posts here quite often so I'm a little familiar with your Inn. Dinsmore is not a very common name, though there are a bunch of us around. In fact there are a quite a few in the Illinois and Ohio area. I don't know any of them but I recently met a "Dinsmore" family in Mexico getting on a snorkeling boat. The hotel kept confusing our rooms,etc. They lived in Ohio. Maybe they were possible distant relatives? I'd like to think so! Regardless very cool and interesting story! Maybe haunting is in my lineage!

·
Registered
454 Posts
f*cking sweet bro!! Well done!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all! I appreciate all the kind comments. Most of the pumpkins are Michael's foam pumpkins but I do a few real ones every year because it just isn't halloween if you don't carve a real pumpkin. I have about 50 pumpkins at the moment and I add a few every year. People love to try and find the new pumpkins every year. The lighting is from 4 blue LED floods from Ace hardware. They are only 10 watts each as opposed to my previous bulbs that were 100 watts each. The light from the LED bulbs is so much better! I use minimal lighting because I like the shadows and the spookiness of the blue. I experimented with more lighting and different colors but I always found that the blue lights gave me the look I wanted. They allow me to only show people what I want them to see though you lose a bit of detail in the process. I tried making a video of everything but every time I started to record I'd get pounded with TOTs. There's a lot there you can't see from those pictures but much of it is in my album. Thanks for looking! If I can answer any questions let me know! I'll try to post pumpkin pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just love the way your yard looks....very spooky.... those zombies look so real! I like the pumpkins, I too have been trying to collect pumpkins, buy some every year & all through the year everywhere I see them. I have a long retaining wall & plan to one day attach my pumpkins to some wood shelves & get lights in them for that wall. Its very dark in that area so I'm sure they would show up good. Great inspiration from your photo & thanks for the info on lighting them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
15 Participants
Muffy
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing