Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys have any recommendations for kids Halloween movies. My little boys love Halloween and watching Halloween movies during a drive and i am looking for more movies to get them. So far i have Buggy Bunny Halloween Special, Igor, Monster House, The Headless Horseman, and NBC.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
First, how old are the kids?

These were the movies I used to recommend back in my vid store clerkin' days for kids that were past the cute stuff but not quite ready for slasher flicks:

One of my faves that never gets enough love or attention, Spaced Invaders.

Monster Squad. There's some problematic language that the bully uses, he calls the kid the "f" word for someone that's gay because the kid isn't being "manly" or standing up to him, but if you explain that first you should be OK & it's only used early in the movie:

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Watcher in the Woods

Lady in White

And of course all the original Universal Monster flicks are scary but not bloody if they'd sit through a B&W movie.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
RCIAG - I agree with all of your picks. I still, to this day, love the Universal Monster movies. I watch them every year.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
I wanna second Paul's rec of all the Halloweentown movies. I loved those movies since I first saw them & I saw them as an adult.

For those other folks that love Halloweentown, Kimberly Brown has her own Etsy shop!

·
Registered
414 Posts
The horror kid in me enjoyed "Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018)". Never seen the original "Goosebumps" or many episodes of the old TV show, but "GB2" really has that Halloween spirit to it. I have no idea what today's kids like, but I think I'd have enjoyed it when I was little. 🦇

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do you guys have any recommendations for kids Halloween movies. My little boys love Halloween and watching Halloween movies during a drive and i am looking for more movies to get them. So far i have Buggy Bunny Halloween Special, Igor, Monster House, The Headless Horseman, and NBC.
Assuming your kids are preteen"
1. Toy Story of Terror (2014) - I'm an adult an I still enjoy this one
2. Curious George: A Halloween Boo Fest (2013)
3. Monster House (2006) - may be a little too scary for the really young ones
4. It's A Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966)
5. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Disney 1950) - this one is getting harder to find
6. Any "Original" Scooby Doo (1969-76) - the later years weren't as good

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
One "horror" movie I've very successfully introduced any poor child I've been asked to babysit to the genre is Little Shop of Horrors. The musical, not the original.

It seems to hit that right level of 'oh that's funny and ridiculous' and 'my lord it's going to eat me' with the 5-10 crowd. Seen it many times now, they get initially hooked with the songs, start to get bored right as that plant first snaps at seymore's finger, which makes them jump, and then they're HOOKED!

Others to consider:
Beetlejuice (while PG, there IS an F bomb in the unedited version)
Ghostbusters
Coraline (Make sure to get some oversized buttons and put over your eyes when you tuck them in later)
Paranorman
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service (not really especially halloween or horror, but a witch is the main character...)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm personally a lifelong fan of those old Betty Boop, Oswald the Rabbit, Silly Symphonies Halloween/spooks cartoon shorts from the late 1920's/1930's. Damn, hard to believe they're almost a century old now. Dunno how they'd play with today's youngsters, but I think they kick the shit out of most the stuff I see on Nickelodeon and Disney nowadays. I know what a crotchety old bastard I sound like right now. Might as well lean into it! 🦇

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
The Scary Godmother series is great too, the comic books as well as the couple of TV specials.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the kids are young, say 12 and under, I would say Mad Monster Party. It's a Rankin and Bass Stop motion, just like Rodolph the Red Nose Raindeer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We always host a movie screening at a campground we go to every Halloween. Some of the favorites with younger children are the Hotel Transylvania movies. We also trow in a couple of The Munster's episodes.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Little monsters 1989
Hocus Pocus
Showed both to my 4 year old grandson and he cant get enough....
He also loves gremlins.... just depends on what your kids can handle i guess.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
574 Posts
I see you had Nightmare Before Christmas on their already. If you enjoy that don't forget Corpse Bride. While not specifically Halloween, it certainly fits in.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hocus Pocus
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Halloween Town 2 Kalabar’s Revenge
Halloween Town High
Return to Halloween Town High
Mickey's House of Villains
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (cartoon)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Halloween is Grinch Night
Casper's Halloween
Tower of Terror
R. L. Stine's Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It
Double Double Toil and Trouble
Twitches
Haunted Mansion
Mom's Got A Date with a Vampire
Garfield's Halloween
The Little Vampire

And if your boys are really little...
Rolie Polie Olie
PB&J Otter
Out of the Box
Bear in the Big Blue House
Rugrats
Danny Phantom
Hey Arnold!
The Fairly OddParents
Spongebob Squarepants
Winnie the Pooh Frankenpooh
Disney's Happy Haunting Sing-Along

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are you even parenting if you haven't shown your kid The Worst Witch (movie) and the wonder that is Tim Curry's Grand Wizard? I think not. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts