Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a prop I started last year, but had to shelve it for a while to work on other things.
Everyone's familiar with the "Grave Grabber" prop and also the "Kicking Legs" prop. I figured there had to be a way to combine the two props into one body of movement using a single motor.
I finally got it working like I wanted.

I think I'll call it the "Tantrum", since it's movemnt kind of reminds me of a kid on the floor throwing a fit! LOL

I'm not sure what I'll end up using this prop for. A swimming zombie maybe?? I mainly built it just to satisfy my own curiosity of whether it could be done or not.
I got a lot of good suggestions from some of the Florida Haunters.
Such as:
--Victim of a Giant Spider
--Cover it with leaves like it's escaping from a grave.
--Put it under a bush and put lighted eyes in the bush like it's being attacked.
--Hang it on a wall to look like it's climbing up.
--Dress it in a kid's costume and have a standing prop beside it with it's foot on the kid's
back, like he was caught stealing the candy.
--Cover it with small spiders like he is being swarmed. I also thought rats and bats would
work too.
I wondered if I could actually hang it from a roof gutter or windowsill by the hands. Then it would look like it's trying to swing and kick to pull itself up and into the house.

It still needs "dressing up", but the mechanical part of it does work.

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Cool ! Hanging on a wall is a cool idea.
I was thinking about a wall prop that looked like it was crawling in it.
This is just about what I had in mind, although I want it to not be lying down but crouched .

Could this be made to look like that ?

Great Job Dave....... Like to see it 'dressed' !

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Great idea Dave. I stuck my individual grave grabber and kicking legs together one year and put a sono cement tube over the middle to make it look as if it was trapped under a fallen column (really it was to hide the two motors in the middle) It was a last minute thing and it was not combined like yours with one motor Mine had the two seperate motors. I've got a garage door opener and track and I've been wanting to attach the grabber to it so it moves forward...but is has not happened yet...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
wow VERY cool Dave , great job .....thats one awsome prop .

tantrum is a cool name but you need some sound with that name as a kid trowing a fit i can assure you it screams very loud :p :D:D

or you could take him to the beach looks like he is swimming hehehehe :D

your ideas are very good to use him , lots of possibilities with him .

great job again
:)

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments!! I didn't know if anyone had tried to "fuse" the two props before.
scareisburg--that was a great idea for combining the two props. Good luck with the garage door track!
Lynn--are you talking about having it crouching (like on it's knees) on a wall with the legs moving too?? I guess that could be done.
Witch from Canada--You're right. I can probably tape my 7 yr. old when he throws a fit and use that. LOL
Here's a couple of pics of the motor linkage:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Whats the specs on the motor?

I say bury his mid area under something. Rocks, a car, a tree, a refrigerator, some giant fat clown... etc. That way it looks like he is struggle to get out. Dont have to worry about exposing the wires then.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
dude just have it in your graveyard. If you put stuff on it or put it under something you don't see the whole effect of your hard work and ingenuity.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Have a skelly mother standing next to him with her arms crossed slightly looking away and her saying is it bed time?to the one on the ground; put him in some kinda costume like they where toting and he/she decide it need the drama of a "Tantrum" like all parents have dealt with!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Hey Dave. Thats a simple but ingenious mechanism...just a single 12v wiper motor, right??

One idea I've had for this year is to have a victim, covered in tendrils being dragged into a briar patch by some wicked looking pumpkins.

This may help me add a little animation to the proceedings.

Thanks for the insight!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail

The motor I used for this is one I got from Surplus Center a few years ago. It may not be the best motor for this prop, but it was the only one I had lying around at the time. It's just like the one in the link above, but mine is 30 RPM I think. Same manufacturer. It has really good torque, but the only drawback is it is thermally protected so it shuts off after running about 15 minutes, then starts back up after it cools down. It's not a wiper motor, just an AC gear motor.
I prefer to use DC motors for building animated props when possible.
Thanks for the ideas and compliments. It's not too difficult to build either.
That's a great idea you have for using this prop, Baron!! Let me know if you need help making one.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Dave, I used a couple of intermittant duty motors (thermally protected) for my organist because they were 1 cheap and 2 the right rpm. was worried about them turning off due to the heat so I added some heat sinks to the motors. Just glued them with JB weld, Had no problem on halloween night.

It occured to me that you could add your creeping mechanism to the grabber/kicker, to get it to crawl around.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what a awesome prop, now if I ever get to the leer on the tutorial, I maybe can figure this guy out too!
Thanks, bethene! He's not too hard to build. If you look on the Monsterlist at the "Kicking Legs" tutorial and then the "Grave Grabber" tutorial, this is just the two props combined. Just with the motor mounted sideways instead of facing up.

Scareisburg--That's a great idea. I never though of doing that. Thanks for the tip. I figured if I use this prop with the existing motor I'd probably have it running by remote control/intermittently anyway, so it should have time to cool down.
I had thought about adding it to the crawling skeleton, but I figured that would look strange, with it crawling on it's elbows but kicking it's legs in the air at the same time. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts