Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
There are numerous formulas for latex. Some of it will not rot. American latex is soaked with ammonia to kill germs, foreign latex didn't use ammonia. Maybe this has changed by now?

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
Wish I'd known there was something to protect latex when I bought several 20" bats from Menards many years ago. I don't have a single one left because of the latex rotting and now I can't find those bats anywhere. :mad:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's for props. I want to buy a zombie dog but want to protect it when I can get him cheap. :( btw we have latex rubber rats in our home all year round and still look new. Only a tiny bit falling apart. Pretty good for many years old.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
I use silicone. I coat all of my props in a super thin layer of window and trim silicone. You can buy it at home improvement store. Works really well.

Just squeeze a little silicone of the tube into your hand (I use rubber/latex gloves for faster clean up) and start applying. You can use a brush for hard to reach spots.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think sun and heat are about the most damaging for latex. I've tried the clear Pasti-dip to coat latex with ok results but it's always shiny. When I'm making my own props I've noticed that if I haven't properly stirred the bucket before I use it it's more likely to discolor and age faster.

·
Gramzie
980 Posts
I use silicone. I coat all of my props in a super thin layer of window and trim silicone. You can buy it at home improvement store. Works really well.

Just squeeze a little silicone of the tube into your hand (I use rubber/latex gloves for faster clean up) and start applying. You can use a brush for hard to reach spots.
this realy work I was always told nothing will help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the process of trying to restore some latex props. I am using silicone to repair any damage and then I am treating the props with clear flex seal. I am debating about spraying them with sunscreen SPF 30 and then spraying another thin layer of clear flex seal over that. In theory that should mean they will only get 1/30th the UV rays they would normally get. Hoping this works!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Keep rubber items out of sunlight if you can--UV rays damage rubber (and many other things besides) over time.

Big Nick's suggestion to use siliconized acrylic caulk is a good one. It will seal the latex away from air and moisture and will improve the life of your piece, although you will be building up this sealant material over the original surface.

Mineral oils, including petroleum jelly, will soak into latex and rot it rapidly. Avoid getting these on your rubber pieces.

Masks, which are typically a thin skin of latex rubber slushed in a mold and allowed to dry, have more surface area, and will rot much faster than something more thickly cast.

Unfortunately, for purposes of Halloween, rubber props and masks are "there to get used" and their deterioration is just part of the game, so actually, while you can try to preserve your prop, I wouldn't feel too bad about a rubber piece starting to "go" on ya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts