Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at doing video mapping onto my house this year and would love to leave my projector set up for like a week before Halloween to show off the house. But I'm nervous of leaving it in the front yard unattended. We live in a good neighborhood and I trust the neighbors, but the likely culprits would be teenagers looking to get into mischief. I'm mean, if you can hop out and snag a projector to play video games on your wall, why not?

So what I need is something that is sturdy and can lock down my projector safely and also keep it out of the rain (in October you never know around here). Ideally it would be heavy or anchored into the ground somehow and I could easily access the projector. I'm not thinking I'd leave it out 24 hours a day. I'd bring it inside at bed time and set it up the next night before dusk.

Should be about 5 feet tall - or at least have an opening at about 5 feet off the ground (EDIT: 5ft. is the ideal projection angle). Metal, wood whatever.

I'm not great at building. What I mean by that is that I can build something, but I would need plans in order to execute it. I'd prefer to find something that I can modify or add onto.

What can I use? Willing to spend some money on it. Maybe $150 or so. Projector was $300 used on ebay, but i really don't want to lose the projector like the night before Halloween and have nothing for the big night.

·
Registered
902 Posts
i have mine in a small plastic tub with a hole cut in it for the lens, been workin great for 4 yrs that way, been rained on snowed on and blasted with the sprinklers (oops)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I converted a 15 inch subwoofer box into a projector booth. Sprayed the exterior carpeting with "plastidip" spray to waterproof it. A Laptop lock can be locked to a stake driven into the ground. Most projectors have the lock hole.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You may be able to find an old crate and convert it for your use. I see them often in the classified free section. To anchor it, use the big corkscrew anchors that are used to tie a leashed dog. Drill a 1/2" hole at each inside corner of the crate and then screw in the anchors to the ground, padlock the top and you should be good to go. To waterproof it, use something like a spray flex seal.

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
The safest way would be to bring it in every night. Couldn't you construct a projection box and mark the outline of where it needs to every night for proper alignment purposes (ie where the projector on box floor should be, where the box needs to be)?

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
Those are nice looking tombstones Chefjuli. I checked their website to see examples of a projector based one but they don't have one that I could find, unless they consider it a To Build Custom one or the search missed it.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
How about an old, used School Locker? They go cheap sometimes. A metal scrap Yard anywhere near you? If it isn't heavy enough, you could pour some cement into the bottom of it,then use a sturdy two-wheeled appliance mover to wheel it around, in and out.
A truck tool box is another possible item.
I have a 3-1/2 inch grinder a .045 narrow cutting wheel works very well to cut steel. wear a face shield and ear plugs and leather gloves.
A grinder like this is one of my two most useful tools.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's ideas. I can't use it in a car (but great idea!) becasue we have a sidewalk so anyone walking by would get in the way of the projection.

I didn't know about Tombstone Factory and will definitely give them a look. The ideal placement would be about 5 feet off the ground, so I'm not sure I can use their hideaway tombstone as the angle would be too low.

i like the laptop cable idea & my projector does have a spot for a lock. I may give that a shot with the doggy corkscrew stakes.

I still need to get it up off the ground though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The safest way would be to bring it in every night. Couldn't you construct a projection box and mark the outline of where it needs to every night for proper alignment purposes (ie where the projector on box floor should be, where the box needs to be)?
This is what I did with my setup. I drove 4 pvc posts into the ground to set a stand on. Each leg of the stand sits on the posts, so that's accurate set up every time. Then my projector "booth box" sits on the stand, lined up to sharpie lines. The stands keeps the booth about a foot off the ground for airflow under the box. Fan in one speaker hole to keep good airflow around the projector to prevent overheating. Projector in the other speaker hole. I take mine in nightly, too and it takes me maybe 5-10 minutes to be set up and running.
Wackychimp,
Maybe a tree stand, either purchased or a home brewed one will work for the height you need. An oversized cemetery column with the projector mounted high could do the trick.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i'm thinking of doing one in a ground crept like in Louisiana, raising it up a bit to accommodate the projector and player something like beloved but in the ground at an angle made from foam board with in weather resistant on it own

·
Registered
120 Posts
Whatever you build to house it, just make sure you allow it to have room to breath and not overheat. Overheating is a pretty common thing for projectors. I would allow some vent holes near the area where the hot air exits the unit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I want to put my projector outside too this year and I live in CT which Oct can be a very rainy month. I am currently building a weather tight solution I hope by using a waterproof box for electrical from home depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-12-...in-Black-Body-Green-Lid-120-DB-2-DS/203637949

This is a few pics how far I am so far. I am going to add aluminum panels over the fans so the water is guided away. The fans are linked together and plug into a standard outlet, one blowing in and one out to keep projector cool.

Green Light Screen Television Technology

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.