Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started making my Halloween tree...which will go behind my Grinning Gertrude Witch.

This is what I ditched my friends for on a Saturday night haha.

Supplies: (not shown are the metal sheers and the gloves which you definatly need!)

What you also need to make this Halloween Tree is a pumpkin spice candle and "Night of the Living Dead" on the TV...

The chicken wire shaped into the trunk and then split at the bottom to help it stand while i make the roots

I'm making the tree in two removable parts so that it can be more portable...what you see below is the trunk and the top of the tree (no branches have been added yet)

Next: Wrapping it in dry paper and then Paper Mache!! (I'm scared)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Looks like you're off to a good start - and wisely planning ahead for storage by making it come apart in manageable pieces.

What look are you going for with the tree - dead and twisted with an owl or vulture; or something else?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you're off to a good start - and wisely planning ahead for storage by making it come apart in manageable pieces.

What look are you going for with the tree - dead and twisted with an owl or vulture; or something else?
Yep! Exactly Demon Dog! A thin, black, dead and twisted old tree with bats and creepy faces in it

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
See....paper maché wasnt as scary as you thought eh? :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thus far, I actually don't like it.....I'm hoping once I get more coats of mache on it and I make the roots a bit more...root-like...rather than looking like a coat rack I might change my mind about it.

This is as far as i got last night...its not very sturdy right now, its still very much a blank canvas... and there are no branches or details...The roots are what I'll be consentrating on tonight after work.

THINKING AHEAD, I'm actually thinking about paper mache-ing purple lights right into the tree...via wrapping the lights around the tree and then covering the cords with the mache...thoughts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey there... nice effort you are doing. I have not done any mache. New to the site.. and just learning how much actually can be done with mache! Keep up your creative work! Will check back in to see how you are doing! <Applauds effort!>

·
Registered
130 Posts
You said that you wanted to make the tree portable so the top and trunk are separable. But will you be able to remove the branches when you're done?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright...a few pics to update my progression on this bad boy...I live in fairly small apartment in DT Toronto, so making this tree is a HUGE pain in the bum for me but I kinda love every minute of it at the same time. After getting the branches on, I decided it would be too top heavy, so I cut the trunk down about 6 inches...making the tree shorter. It still leans backwards and I'm not really sure how to fix that. But all in all it looks pretty good so far! (it gets painted this afternoon!)

(Looking much like a coat rack)

(branches taped to keep them from sagging while everything dried, notice the seam where the two peices of the tree assemble together for storage later)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
(one of the skulls trying to escape the vines)

(everything laying down, waiting to be painted later tonight)

and thats it...hope it looks better painted!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looks great! Keep up the good work :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finished...finally...

(The roots and my cauldron freshly painted)

(the top half)

(Gertrude the witch (who wont talk and I'm pretty pissed about it...she might have to go back to the store), my cauldron all lit up, and the tree wrapped in purple lights...the scene that will be infront of the restaurant)

a video...sorry it uploaded darker than it should have...
http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy194/xandonx/?action=view&current=DSCN0658.flv

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow.. looks great. Glad I came back for the update!
I really dig the gnarled roots you made at the base with the skull!

XandonX, hey.. what movie is your avatar image from???

Also... what type of paint did you use?
did you seal it with anything??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts