Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are like amazing lights to light up your props or haunt. They are small 12V LED lights, different colors: Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, and White... They are constructed with a metal body (anodized aluminum most likely) these lights are practically indestructible -- I mean if you drop it or it gets stepped on it won't break... The aiming of the light can be adjusted, it's really nice the way it's constructed. I can't wait to try them out... I plan to use them for uplighting my skeletons and setting the mood in the grave yard... BTW the amber looks like the old-fashion lights.... So just curious if anyone have experience, tips, or tricks with these lights?

BlueGhostLights.jpg
Here are a few blue lights -- the color on the end of the light is the color of the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
pretty interesting, but I prefer mine with garden stakes to put in the lawn. I found some on aliexpress for like 7 or 8 bucks and just got them from china the other day. They are awesome

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chugger93, can you post some pics of them -- I don't have good outdoor lighting, Are they low voltage?

Now that you mention it...
Outdoor Lighting Issue: < New and important topic >

While 90% of my haunt is inside my garage, I've been thinking of lighting up the outside too. However, my situation is that my place is physically situated in the neighborhood is in such as way that I don't think I could comfortably have an outdoor display. The front yard is very small and the grass is dead (California drought so I can't water it) and thus the trick-o-treaters just walk across (basically the weeds and dirt) to get to the garage. I'd worry a lot about safety oh... and the weather!? Typically first rain is on Halloween, making a very muddy mess... (ugh!)

So... anyway... any outdoor lighting would need to attach somewhere else other than the "lawn" A.K.A. dirt patch -- maybe in the hedge or hang from the house.

Anyone have a similar problem and got advice on that?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Raydium, their site says that you can simply remove the lens and turn the Ghostlights from spots into floods. Is this true, and if so, how much light does it throw compared to the spotlight lens?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Raydium, their site says that you can simply remove the lens and turn the Ghostlights from spots into floods. Is this true, and if so, how much light does it throw compared to the spotlight lens?
Yes, it is true that you can remove the lens and turn it into a "flood" To answer your question about distance (throw) and brightness I'd need to do some experiments, but you probably can guess because these are 5mm LED's that are fairly bright.

* As a "flood" LED I was able to wash my 4 foot tall brick pillars in blue light at a range of 4 feet. The effect was perfect and gave the ambiance I wanted to make it look like moonlight

* In "Spot" mode (with the lens) then the beam is tighter and brighter. Disclaimer: I'm not sure these numbers are correct... but I think that it throws a 5~6" diameter circle around 3 or 4 foot ... But I ended up using them for close range to up-light the gravestones and the two specters I used Yellow and Red, looked pretty good.

If you watch my video on YouTube you can (sort-of) see the effects, you know cameras and low-light are difficult... Look @ 0:56 when I entered the haunt graveyard you kind of see the brick pillars, but the blue light doesn't show, you can see the red spots, sorry the camera didn't do it justice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88hSLqMyUDs

BTW -- If you get these lights, there isn't any instructions how-to do the conversions, first I tried to unscrew from the outside, it doesn't work that way. The lens is held in place with a internally threaded nut followed by a o-ring, then the lens. When you pull these out you will see a "naked" 5MM LED, but it is shrouded inside the tube so you can control the sight-line angle of the light (See pictures I posted at the top of this thread)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, it is true that you can remove the lens and turn it into a "flood" To answer your question about distance (throw) and brightness I'd need to do some experiments, but you probably can guess because these are 5mm LED's that are fairly bright.

* As a "flood" LED I was able to wash my 4 foot tall brick pillars in blue light at a range of 4 feet. The effect was perfect and gave the ambiance I wanted to make it look like moonlight

* In "Spot" mode (with the lens) then the beam is tighter and brighter. Disclaimer: I'm not sure these numbers are correct... but I think that it throws a 5~6" diameter circle around 3 or 4 foot ... But I ended up using them for close range to up-light the gravestones and the two specters I used Yellow and Red, looked pretty good.

If you watch my video on YouTube you can (sort-of) see the effects, you know cameras and low-light are difficult... Look @ 0:56 when I entered the haunt graveyard you kind of see the brick pillars, but the blue light doesn't show, you can see the red spots, sorry the camera didn't do it justice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88hSLqMyUDs

BTW -- If you get these lights, there isn't any instructions how-to do the conversions, first I tried to unscrew from the outside, it doesn't work that way. The lens is held in place with a internally threaded nut followed by a o-ring, then the lens. When you pull these out you will see a "naked" 5MM LED, but it is shrouded inside the tube so you can control the sight-line angle of the light (See pictures I posted at the top of this thread)
Thank you for such an in-depth and thorough response! This is beyond helpful :) I'm looking to replace incandescent flood lights entirely, so I'd be needing to wash entire scenes as well as do some detail lighting. I figure the Ghostlight Max will do flooding well without its lens and then rely on the Mini & Micros for fine lighting. Parts Express has really inexpensive LED stage pars, but they won't save their last color with each power cycle, so I would need a lighting board, and then someone to man it each night. I was so happy when I stumbled upon your thread last week!!!

The Ghostlight above your EXIT sign at the end of the video - is that a Micro or Mini version?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got similar to chugger's off ebay, but RGB ones. They come with a remote to set colour and remember last colour on power up.
Only issue is, if you do white (or any multi-colour) you get artifacts, so I modded them using David's idea.
Good as flood/wash for small area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for such an in-depth and thorough response! This is beyond helpful :) I'm looking to replace incandescent flood lights entirely, so I'd be needing to wash entire scenes as well as do some detail lighting. I figure the Ghostlight Max will do flooding well without its lens and then rely on the Mini & Micros for fine lighting. Parts Express has really inexpensive LED stage pars, but they won't save their last color with each power cycle, so I would need a lighting board, and then someone to man it each night. I was so happy when I stumbled upon your thread last week!!!

The Ghostlight above your EXIT sign at the end of the video - is that a Micro or Mini version?
The Exit sign was lit with a white micro, BTW I do not have experience with the ghostlight MAX, so if you get them and play with them, please let me know... I may get a few based on your review.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Exit sign was lit with a white micro, BTW I do not have experience with the ghostlight MAX, so if you get them and play with them, please let me know... I may get a few based on your review.
I've emailed HalloweenFX Props about the MAX, and what they said was that the lens cannot be removed from that one like the MINI and MICRO. However the MAX does appear to have a wide beam on it, as it was mounted right above the EXIT doorway in this picture and seems to project a wide angle.

I'm still going back and forth with them, so I'll give you another update soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts