Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I found one of the HoMedics ones (like Spooky Sam used, and many others, from what I can tell). Here's where I'm stuck -I removed the "egg-shaped" tips and now just have the rubber-sleeved heavy duty springs that stick up at an angle from the rotating discs. I'm using the bell-ended 1/2" PVC conduit that Spooky Sam recommended. It's a nice fit, but if I literally slip the bell over the stubs then the two pieces rotate in very wide circles. SS's pics of the mech itself aren't very clear. I guess I'm wondering if the PVC is supposed to slide all the way down the springs (so it pretty much sits on the rotating disc) or if I should be somehow trying to hold it above. And if it slides all the way down, then do I use the plumber's tape to hold it "straight"? I'd like to think I'm not a complete idiot, but for some reason this just isn't clicking for me.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Ok, so I found one of the HoMedics ones (like Spooky Sam used, and many others, from what I can tell). Here's where I'm stuck -I removed the "egg-shaped" tips and now just have the rubber-sleeved heavy duty springs that stick up at an angle from the rotating discs. I'm using the bell-ended 1/2" PVC conduit that Spooky Sam recommended. It's a nice fit, but if I literally slip the bell over the stubs then the two pieces rotate in very wide circles. SS's pics of the mech itself aren't very clear. I guess I'm wondering if the PVC is supposed to slide all the way down the springs (so it pretty much sits on the rotating disc) or if I should be somehow trying to hold it above. And if it slides all the way down, then do I use the plumber's tape to hold it "straight"? I'd like to think I'm not a complete idiot, but for some reason this just isn't clicking for me.
You want a loose fit where the shaitsu rods bounce around inside the pvc pipe. That gives it a more random jerky motion. I left the ends on and used 1 ft lengths of 1½" pvc pipe over them then reduced that down to 3/4" for the head and arm sections. Gravity holds the larger pipe on the shaitsu rods and it just jerks all around.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well Kid, if you're an idiot, then so am I. Used the same setup as you have, same shiatsu, same pvc, same plastic covered springs. I start it up, the arm flails like a windmill, beats the crap out of the hand I spent days making, and then promptly jumps off of the post. Doesn't matter how tight or how loose the strap, doesn't matter how high or low the strap is placed on the pvc. Feel kinda stupid when I read how everyone else pulls it together in under an hour, but I just can't make it go either. Maybe we need to start a support group. Too bad I pulled that massager apart, tense as I am over this mess, I could use a massage!

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I had the same issue,let it be loose and it will wirk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skullboy and homey, I just don't get it. If it's loose then it's just going to get shaking type motions, right? I want a nice, sweeping hand/arm combo like the other folks have (i.e. Spookey Sam in his video). Is this the result you have achieved with larger PVC? Brad, I know just how frustrated you are. I was soo happy when I found one of these massagers on eBay. Figured this past weekend, when my wife was gone, that I could knock out the movement, coffin, arm/head, and basically have a completed prop when she got home. Instead all she came home to was a dismantled massager on my workbench and nothing resembling a prop.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yep Kid, I'm in the same boat. My shiatsu is occupying a corner in the back bedroom, half complete. I'm going to give a very hard look at the info Frankie's Girl post ( my sincerest thanks!) and see if I can figure this mess out (I HATE to declare failure!), but at this point, I'm not so sure. I've tried most everything I can think of, and haven't gotten anywhere.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I made the shiatsu guy and it works with no problem. As long as the PVC is bigger than the turning shaft, there is room for it to give. If the PVC is tight, it will be forced to swing the full range of the shiatsu motion and shake itself apart.

Check out mine here. Even though the arm is swinging in a wide range, the pivot point (shoulder) is only moving an inch or two.

Maybe show us some pictures of what you have built so far, so we can see how you've put it together.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
You have great motion warrant.To the other guys just keep adjusting the straps,one at a time and you will get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts