Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup...it's another one of THOSE. ;)

Just taking my own little space here to whinge about how I just...can't get into it anymore. I've talked about this on here once or twice but never really opened up about it.

My reasons may be different than other people's. I haven't really seen anyone else talk about this reasoning and perhaps I'm just nuts...it's not like that's never been said before... ;)

Anyway. I moved from the northeast to Southern California ten years ago. Everyone told me before I left, "You don't realize how much you're going to miss this place." I answered, "Yes I do." I didn't really want to move. At the time my son was continuously ill, I was missing work way too much as the daycare wouldn't take him with a fever and my job was being threatened, my husband's company was downsizing and he lost HIS job and my husband's parents had a place for rent, as well as a part-time job for me, here in SoCal. I was desperate for so many reasons, but mostly, I was afraid for my son. He was never well. Ever. He would get over one ear infection and get into the next one two weeks later. I remember one two-month period when I counted the sick days. Out of eight weeks, he was ill and not allowed in daycare 21 days.

My son was also showing delays and I was afraid this was due to the constant illness. (It wasn't...but probably tied in. As it turns out, my son is autistic and intellectually delayed.)

I thought perhaps if we moved to a warm, dry climate my son would stop being sick. We moved out here, and instantly, bam...he WASN'T sick any more. He never had another ear infection, though we did have tubes placed finally (his former pediatrician had refused) as a precaution...but even before the tubes, immediately it was clear he felt better and he wasn't getting colds, etc. So that part was a dream and definitely worked out.

Anyway, the first fall here was awful because, well, there really isn't a fall here, exactly. A few trees change color - not usually a very bright color except for a few rare exceptions (such as liquidambar). A "nice" fall day is when it's only 80 degrees. I know I'm crazy. Who wouldn't love weather like this? It's not SoCal's fault. It's mine - SoCal was here first. ;)

Fall has always meant so much to me, and it and Halloween are very tied in with one another, to me. I have always loved having seasons. I love the rhythm. I was born into that type of environment and it's almost like my body thrives on it. Or, thrived. Let me get to the point...this is already way too long. I have tried so many ways, and so many times to get that Halloween "feeling." I can't. I just can't! I mean I've tried everything. I've even sat down outside and tried to get "in touch" with the land. Nothing is working. At all. :( Suggestions such as going to the mountains don't help much. They seem weirdly out of place as compared to the weather I left several hours before for the drive, and they're over immediately once I'm back down the mountain. I've tried seasonal stuff...pumpkin patches...it's just...weird going there in a tank top with palm trees everywhere.

I know I sound like I'm whining. Actually, I AM whining. I won't defend the fact that I'm whining, because really, I have to own it. But knowing that I'm whining and knowing that most people would LOVE to live here and truisms such as "bloom where you're planted" just aren't happening.

Yesterday I went through my house and tossed all my indoor decorations into the garage. I don't want to see them. They're so out of place. Fake red leaves with air conditioning blasting on them. I don't know...I kept the outdoor ones up, for my kids. But I'm kind of just trying to coast through the next week and a half with my eyes closed, so to speak. I've avoided spooky movies on TV, keep my eyes down going up my front steps where the decor still is. I just wish it were all over so I didn't have to see all the "it's fall!" memes on Facebook in glorious colors, hear about crisp nights and apple cider and so on any more. I don't want to think about how I don't have that and probably never will again (moving is out of the question, my husband and I have nearly come to divorce over this issue, and going back home for a week or two hasn't been feasible for us in seven years now due to juggling the kids, who would have to stay home as we can't afford plane tickets for us all, etc.). I don't think I'm every going home again. And I don't think I'll ever have a real Halloween again. I'll die here never having had that taste, ever again.

I realize this sounds pretty dramatic and yes, I'm pretty depressed right now. I just...wish I could feel better about this. If I can't pull it together on this issue this time around, I'm giving up and just putting out the bare minimum for my kids next year, maybe a pumpkin and a skeleton, and will take them trick-or-treating and just pretend to myself that it's just a fun thing to do and not really Halloween.

Ugh...I sound like an idiot and may well regret hitting the "Submit New Thread" button but here I go. If I'm embarrassed enough about it later I may disappear for a little bit but I love you all, this board is just wonderful and I know it always will be.

p.s. Re-reading, I realize this post will basically put everyone into Grammar Error Hell, but I don't really have it in me right now to edit and make everything sound nice, so...apologies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Melanie,

I'm really sorry that you are having such a hard time.

I feel really sad, overwhelmed, depressed, homesick, etc. sometimes too. What I'm trying to say is that I've been there and it is ok to not feel ok sometimes and to just let yourself feel these feelings for a while. It is good to be honest with yourself instead of trying to stuff it down or feel bad for your feelings.

It sounds like you had to sacrifice a lot for the wellbeing of your son. You should feel proud of yourself for taking such good care of him. Honestly, there are parents who have much smaller things they could change but don't!

Could you go home by yourself for a little while? Stay with family or friends for free? Leave your husband and kids in Cali while you take a little mom - recharge vacation? I get that you can't afford to fly everyone across the country - but what about just yourself?

It is good to take care of yourself you know?

From a kid stand point - I would rather have my mom go visit family for a week or so and come back happy and recharged - than have a mom who is terribly sad and home with me. Know what I mean?

As a kid, would you rather have your mom be miserable taking you trick or treating? or not be home for Halloween and just spend time with your dad - knowing that mom will come home happy and recharged in a few days?

And yes, I know 1 round trip plane ticket will cost money. But what good is having the money if you are not happy and healthy?

Don't feel embarrassed about your post here - we all need to reach out sometimes.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Halloweenie gave you the good cop speech, I guess I'll be the bad cop. :) You're being whiny and pretty lame. I was born and raised in western PA, where you had to trick or treat while wearing a coat over your costume, the leaves were awesome, we could get the best apple cider, and the air was crisp and cold in the mornings. I loved it! Then I joined the Navy in 1979 and 1978 was the last Fall I ever had north of the Mason/Dixon line.

I've celebrated Halloween in Sigonella, Italy, when it was 100 degrees at 7:00 at night, Jacksonville, FL, where I cut my jack-o-lanterns on Oct 10th just as I would in Pittsburgh only to find they had turned to mush by the 13th, and in Diego Garcia out in the middle of the Indian Ocean where it's 85 degrees every day and night because it's right on the equator.

We've been living in Florida since 2004, and it's the same conditions you have out in CA, only we get the humidity with the heat. :( I too miss the colored leaves and cool air, but this just makes me embrace all the other signs of Fall that much more. This is a big reason I became the football fan I am today. Football means Fall to me. Halloween means Fall to me. Burning pine and pumpkin incense means Fall to me. Drinking apple cider means Fall to me... even if it's Ziegler's in a plastic jug instead of Seneca in a glass jug. :) Making apple pies means Fall to me. Telling my wife it's too early to be listening to Christmas music means Fall to me. Yeah, I can't do anything about the temperature or the always-green trees, but in the grand scheme of things those are about the only two things I'm missing out on and I have plenty of other things that mean Fall to balance things out.

You need to kick yourself in the ***, and start focusing on what you have rather than obsessing about what you don't.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I live in Texas, and I get seasonal affective disorder in the summer, and we have about 8 months of summer here and I absolutely hate it. But what can I say, I'm a born and raised Austinite.

With that said, I do find it difficult to get into it sometimes, especially this year, the heat has been unrelenting and it literally makes me depressed and angry. I've also been having a bout with anxiety and hypochondria, so it just hasn't been a great mental health year for me as it is. I found it especially difficult this year to get excited when my cat got sick (he's fine now), but general anxiety and depression can ruin the things you once loved.

I don't think you are being whiny or lame, you have a lot on your plate, and you sound like you've been through a lot of crap. You have every right to be upset and sure, you might feel hopeless, and we do crazy stuff when we feel hopeless, like throw out all of the things we once loved because we think we'll never get that wonderful feeling back, so what is the point?

Depression is not just something you can "get over" and I think people who have no experience with it, don't understand that. The first and best thing to do though, is talk about it, which is what you're doing. If you read my blog, linked below, you can see how I was too "in a funk" and while I don't feel 100 percent back to normal, I get better as the days go by I think.

·
Witch of the Midwest!
912 Posts
I get it. I put out maybe five candy dishes/candle holders in the house. Nothing else. Two of our dogs died this year. One to a brain tumor and the other to Lymphoma. My heart has just not healed and I can't get into the spirit of things. A few times I've started to go through decorations and then I just get too tired and put them back.

Maybe I am over Halloween for good. Or maybe it's just this year, but I just can't seem to get into the spirit.

Hope yours comes back, if you want it to, that is......

Happy Halloween

Kristen

Yup...it's another one of THOSE. ;)

Just taking my own little space here to whinge about how I just...can't get into it anymore. I've talked about this on here once or twice but never really opened up about it.

My reasons may be different than other people's. I haven't really seen anyone else talk about this reasoning and perhaps I'm just nuts...it's not like that's never been said before... ;)

Anyway. I moved from the northeast to Southern California ten years ago. Everyone told me before I left, "You don't realize how much you're going to miss this place." I answered, "Yes I do." I didn't really want to move. At the time my son was continuously ill, I was missing work way too much as the daycare wouldn't take him with a fever and my job was being threatened, my husband's company was downsizing and he lost HIS job and my husband's parents had a place for rent, as well as a part-time job for me, here in SoCal. I was desperate for so many reasons, but mostly, I was afraid for my son. He was never well. Ever. He would get over one ear infection and get into the next one two weeks later. I remember one two-month period when I counted the sick days. Out of eight weeks, he was ill and not allowed in daycare 21 days.

My son was also showing delays and I was afraid this was due to the constant illness. (It wasn't...but probably tied in. As it turns out, my son is autistic and intellectually delayed.)

I thought perhaps if we moved to a warm, dry climate my son would stop being sick. We moved out here, and instantly, bam...he WASN'T sick any more. He never had another ear infection, though we did have tubes placed finally (his former pediatrician had refused) as a precaution...but even before the tubes, immediately it was clear he felt better and he wasn't getting colds, etc. So that part was a dream and definitely worked out.

Anyway, the first fall here was awful because, well, there really isn't a fall here, exactly. A few trees change color - not usually a very bright color except for a few rare exceptions (such as liquidambar). A "nice" fall day is when it's only 80 degrees. I know I'm crazy. Who wouldn't love weather like this? It's not SoCal's fault. It's mine - SoCal was here first. ;)

Fall has always meant so much to me, and it and Halloween are very tied in with one another, to me. I have always loved having seasons. I love the rhythm. I was born into that type of environment and it's almost like my body thrives on it. Or, thrived. Let me get to the point...this is already way too long. I have tried so many ways, and so many times to get that Halloween "feeling." I can't. I just can't! I mean I've tried everything. I've even sat down outside and tried to get "in touch" with the land. Nothing is working. At all. :( Suggestions such as going to the mountains don't help much. They seem weirdly out of place as compared to the weather I left several hours before for the drive, and they're over immediately once I'm back down the mountain. I've tried seasonal stuff...pumpkin patches...it's just...weird going there in a tank top with palm trees everywhere.

I know I sound like I'm whining. Actually, I AM whining. I won't defend the fact that I'm whining, because really, I have to own it. But knowing that I'm whining and knowing that most people would LOVE to live here and truisms such as "bloom where you're planted" just aren't happening.

Yesterday I went through my house and tossed all my indoor decorations into the garage. I don't want to see them. They're so out of place. Fake red leaves with air conditioning blasting on them. I don't know...I kept the outdoor ones up, for my kids. But I'm kind of just trying to coast through the next week and a half with my eyes closed, so to speak. I've avoided spooky movies on TV, keep my eyes down going up my front steps where the decor still is. I just wish it were all over so I didn't have to see all the "it's fall!" memes on Facebook in glorious colors, hear about crisp nights and apple cider and so on any more. I don't want to think about how I don't have that and probably never will again (moving is out of the question, my husband and I have nearly come to divorce over this issue, and going back home for a week or two hasn't been feasible for us in seven years now due to juggling the kids, who would have to stay home as we can't afford plane tickets for us all, etc.). I don't think I'm every going home again. And I don't think I'll ever have a real Halloween again. I'll die here never having had that taste, ever again.

I realize this sounds pretty dramatic and yes, I'm pretty depressed right now. I just...wish I could feel better about this. If I can't pull it together on this issue this time around, I'm giving up and just putting out the bare minimum for my kids next year, maybe a pumpkin and a skeleton, and will take them trick-or-treating and just pretend to myself that it's just a fun thing to do and not really Halloween.

Ugh...I sound like an idiot and may well regret hitting the "Submit New Thread" button but here I go. If I'm embarrassed enough about it later I may disappear for a little bit but I love you all, this board is just wonderful and I know it always will be.

p.s. Re-reading, I realize this post will basically put everyone into Grammar Error Hell, but I don't really have it in me right now to edit and make everything sound nice, so...apologies.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Ichasiris hit on some very good points. Depression is very real and not something you can just get over. Take your symptoms seriously! There's a very good chance that what you are going through is not at all weather or scenery related, or at least not entirely to blame. Throwing out your decorations and avoiding images of Halloween because they remind you that what you once loved no longer brings you joy is a textbook example. Been there, done that.
I am no mental health professional but I do come from a long line of people suffering from clinical depression. Do not be embarrassed or feel you should just "suck it up". It won't get any better by doing that, believe me.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for your kind words. I can't tell you how much they meant to me, and how much it means that you took the time to write. I am going to see whether I can start a little "side fund" so that I can go home and see my family.

Hi Melanie,

I'm really sorry that you are having such a hard time.

I feel really sad, overwhelmed, depressed, homesick, etc. sometimes too. What I'm trying to say is that I've been there and it is ok to not feel ok sometimes and to just let yourself feel these feelings for a while. It is good to be honest with yourself instead of trying to stuff it down or feel bad for your feelings.

It sounds like you had to sacrifice a lot for the wellbeing of your son. You should feel proud of yourself for taking such good care of him. Honestly, there are parents who have much smaller things they could change but don't!

Could you go home by yourself for a little while? Stay with family or friends for free? Leave your husband and kids in Cali while you take a little mom - recharge vacation? I get that you can't afford to fly everyone across the country - but what about just yourself?

It is good to take care of yourself you know?

From a kid stand point - I would rather have my mom go visit family for a week or so and come back happy and recharged - than have a mom who is terribly sad and home with me. Know what I mean?

As a kid, would you rather have your mom be miserable taking you trick or treating? or not be home for Halloween and just spend time with your dad - knowing that mom will come home happy and recharged in a few days?

And yes, I know 1 round trip plane ticket will cost money. But what good is having the money if you are not happy and healthy?

Don't feel embarrassed about your post here - we all need to reach out sometimes.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I'll keep trying.

Halloweenie gave you the good cop speech, I guess I'll be the bad cop. :) You're being whiny and pretty lame. I was born and raised in western PA, where you had to trick or treat while wearing a coat over your costume, the leaves were awesome, we could get the best apple cider, and the air was crisp and cold in the mornings. I loved it! Then I joined the Navy in 1979 and 1978 was the last Fall I ever had north of the Mason/Dixon line.

I've celebrated Halloween in Sigonella, Italy, when it was 100 degrees at 7:00 at night, Jacksonville, FL, where I cut my jack-o-lanterns on Oct 10th just as I would in Pittsburgh only to find they had turned to mush by the 13th, and in Diego Garcia out in the middle of the Indian Ocean where it's 85 degrees every day and night because it's right on the equator.

We've been living in Florida since 2004, and it's the same conditions you have out in CA, only we get the humidity with the heat. :( I too miss the colored leaves and cool air, but this just makes me embrace all the other signs of Fall that much more. This is a big reason I became the football fan I am today. Football means Fall to me. Halloween means Fall to me. Burning pine and pumpkin incense means Fall to me. Drinking apple cider means Fall to me... even if it's Ziegler's in a plastic jug instead of Seneca in a glass jug. :) Making apple pies means Fall to me. Telling my wife it's too early to be listening to Christmas music means Fall to me. Yeah, I can't do anything about the temperature or the always-green trees, but in the grand scheme of things those are about the only two things I'm missing out on and I have plenty of other things that mean Fall to balance things out.

You need to kick yourself in the ***, and start focusing on what you have rather than obsessing about what you don't.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sorry you're going through depression too. I will be thinking of you. I just checked out your blog and it's WONDERFUL. Going to sub to it.

I live in Texas, and I get seasonal affective disorder in the summer, and we have about 8 months of summer here and I absolutely hate it. But what can I saw, I'm a born and raised Austinite.

With that said, I do find it difficult to get into sometimes, especially this year, the heat has been unrelenting and it literally makes me depressed and angry. I've also been having a bout with anxiety and hypochondria, so it just hasn't been a great mental health year for me as it is. I found it especially difficult this year to get excited when my cat got sick (he's fine now), but general anxiety and depression can ruin the things you once loved.

I don't think you are being whiny or lame, you have a lot on your plate, and you sound like you've been through a lot of crap. You have every right to be upset and sure, you might feel hopeless, and we do crazy stuff when we feel hopeless, like throw out all of the things we once loved because we think we'll never get that wonderful feeling back, so what is the point?

Depression is not just something you can "get over" and I think people who have no experience with it, don't understand that. The first and best thing to do though, is talk about it, which is what you're doing. If you read my blog, linked below, you can see how I was too "in a funk" and while I don't feel 100 percent back to normal, I get better as the days go by I think.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, no. I can't tell you how sorry I am about your dear pups. My heart just cried for you reading that. Sending good thoughts your way. A loss of a pet can be devastating. They're family. Thinking of you.

You may "get it back". When my mom died in the 90s, I couldn't "do Christmas" for a while. I just equated her with Christmas. She used to do an amazing job, crocheting snowflakes for the tree (her crochet was amazing), gifts out the yin-yang and always the PERFECT gift - something you didn't realize you were dying to have until you had it, and she had an amazing singing voice and would sing Christmas carols starting at Thanksgiving or so. Christmas was SO painful for me for the first two years. Then after that I found that every time I tried to sing a Christmas carol, I would cry. It took me a few years to really be "in" Christmas again and I did it for my son (had just one child at the time). But it did come back. I will be thinking of you.

I get it. I put out maybe five candy dishes/candle holders in the house. Nothing else. Two of our dogs died this year. One to a brain tumor and the other to Lymphoma. My heart has just not healed and I can't get into the spirit of things. A few times I've started to go through decorations and then I just get too tired and put them back.

Maybe I am over Halloween for good. Or maybe it's just this year, but I just can't seem to get into the spirit.

Hope yours comes back, if you want it to, that is......

Happy Halloween

Kristen

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, Madame Leota. I've struggled with clinical depression before but that never seem to have an actual "cause." In this case it comes specifically for Halloween, or at least, more than at any other time. During the rest of the year, even when my heart is aching for home (which it does) it isn't a "hopeless" ache. I can usually tell the difference. But you never know. Thank you for pointing out it may not be "just" the season that's the problem. I don't know why but I hadn't thought of it in that way.

Ichasiris hit on some very good points. Depression is very real and not something you can just get over. Take your symptoms seriously! There's a very good chance that what you are going through is not at all weather or scenery related, or at least not entirely to blame. Throwing out your decorations and avoiding images of Halloween because they remind you that what you once loved no longer brings you joy is a textbook example. Been there, done that.
I am no mental health professional but I do come from a long line of people suffering from clinical depression. Do not be embarrassed or feel you should just "suck it up". It won't get any better by doing that, believe me.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
Ya' know, I can really understand this.

I've lived in Southern California for a long time, but I've also lived around the United States and in other places in the world.
What Southern California has for "seasons" is the worst kind of joke - our June and July is cooler and more fall-like than our September, October, and even November.
I do miss fall. Winter too. I don't decorate in fall decor, as it just seems silly: none of the things that are associated with fall happen here.

What I've done for many years now, and will continue to do, is tell myself, "Someday. Someday, I'll have the chance to move, to go where there's seasons, and weather...and green."
I don't set a time, or a set of conditions, or anything measurable for the "someday", as I have no wish to have those conditions become fulfilled and still remain here. That would be heart breaking.
I just reassure myself that it will be "someday"...even if (and I know this) that never comes, it still feels better in my head.

Which is saying something, as I have what amounts to a cage of squirrels sitting atop my shoulders.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Thank you, Madame Leota. I've struggled with clinical depression before but that never seem to have an actual "cause." In this case it comes specifically for Halloween, or at least, more than at any other time. During the rest of the year, even when my heart is aching for home (which it does) it isn't a "hopeless" ache. I can usually tell the difference. But you never know. Thank you for pointing out it may not be "just" the season that's the problem. I don't know why but I hadn't thought of it in that way.
The way I've had it explained to me is what was once your "happy place" becomes your trigger. That hopeless ache replaces the joy because it can no longer supply what you need. It just becomes a reminder that you once had happiness and now it's gone.

Or I could be completely off the mark and you just need some cool weather and changing leaves! Couldn't we all? ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was born and raised in Texas, so I'm used to not having a real "fall" season, although I can't say that I don't wish we had one down here. But like Bruzilla said, I associate a lot of other stuff with fall - Halloween, football, etc. It may not feel like fall to some people, but it's fall for me. But it might not be as simple as all that.

Holidays often bring about depression. My wife's parents live in Sweden and she doesn't get to see them very much, so Christmas in particular is a bit of a bummer for her. She told me the other day that although she tries to enjoy it, she sort of just waits the whole month for it all to be over with, so she doesn't have to think about it. Which is pretty sad. I'm in the same boat, but my family is just a couple of states away, not 5,000 miles away on another continent. So at least know that you're definitely not alone, and do try to get back and see your family when you can.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
CaliforniaMelanie~I can only send wishes that you find your 'happy place' again, wherever you live. As a native Californian, and the last 35yrs in So Cal, I have no concept, only dreams, of what a real Fall is...Maybe just missing home is a big part, and this time of year, like Madame Leota said, has become a trigger. What you did for your son is by any means no small thing~you are a wonderful mother for the sacrifice you've made~I applaud you!

Previous posters have given you great advice regarding YOU going back home to recharge & invigorate, and also depression. Even Bruzilla's advice, which reminds me of the movie "Moonstruck", when Cher slaps Nicholas Cage across the face and says, "snap out of it!";) Sounds like you're familiar with clinical depression(which, in that case, you just don't snap out of)-that might be the first thing investigated? It could also be a seasonal disorder, as mentioned. I love Halloween, but once that's over, both hubby & I, for the past 10yrs, go into a depression throughout the rest of the holiday season(long story, won't bore you) and just want to fast forward to Jan 1st. In your case, whatever the cause, I empathize, and truly do hope you find a win/win solution.

Around our house, we go with the saying "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". You've got to take care of yourself, too. Hugs!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,390 Posts
After reading this thread, I feel lucky to have lived where we have a "true" fall season. I do wish I had some sort of magical wisdom I could offer that would make it all better but I don't. A month ago I was really worried (and depressed) because my daughter was going to have open-heart surgery. A few people on this forum gave me encouragement and advice that helped me tremendously. Surgery went well and I got back to normal, but I know that it's not always easy to "snap out of it."

October for me is a sad month as it's when I lost my first husband, then an uncle exactly two years later. Five years ago my 26 year-old cousin died of a heart attack while driving home from work and in the past few days I've lost an uncle and my husband's last boss (who ironically my grandmother helped raise until he was five). But October is also a time of Joy. We have four birthdays in a two week stretch with mine wrapping it up a week before Halloween. My grandmother just turned 89 last week and this is my little girl's first Halloween so it truly is going to be exciting this year.

I wish I could send you a plane ticket to see your family. I could send a bag of fall leaves however. :) Maybe the sight and scent of them would help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm born and raised in SoCal so I'm used to the lack of seasons but I can relate to the depression part as well. I guess since we only have the best weather year round :D I get into the holiday spirits by working on halloween props, go to halloween events, go into halloween stores, and even stop if I'm driving to look at other's yard displays. Also I'm a big hockey fan so when the season starts that's another indicator for me it's fall!

But my thoughts first and foremost are to see a psychiatrist if you haven't regarding your depression. In addition always have something to look forward to! Plan halloween crafts/props/decorations to work on with your son or go to some halloween events and be around other like minded halloween fans :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just want to say you are a fantastic mom! And just to address the travel part... perhaps it might be good to sign up for Jet Blue emails. While this won't help you this year, I know they had an offer they emailed out on Oct 1st with one way tickets all over the country for only $31 one-way if you flew on Halloween. This is most likely sold out now but I do know that every so often they have incredible deals like that. I remember last spring I was this close to booking a trip from NY to San Fran just for a day because it was super cheap, but ended up deciding against it since I was pregnant and don't fly well. If you see one you just have to act super fast to get it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Grass is always greener... I'm not discounting what you are going for but I encourage you to take a different look at what you do have going for you.

I live where some years it has snowed on Halloween or even just too cold for Trick or Treaters. Most years the Fall breeze and colder tempatures make any attempts to have creepy low laying fog impossible. I say roll with what you've got - embrace the warmer temps. So go buy a Halloween themed tank top. Go make your theme work with that nice warm weather - always thought a tiki / volcano theme would be awesome but out of place where I'm from. Haunted Beach anyone?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.