Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share a tip I haven't seen mentioned on the board... This process produces a great effect, and it's simple.

I like to use rope light to uplight my tombstones. Quick, easy, 1 plug gives you up to 100 feet of nice light. The thing is, rope light glows along it's entire length and diameter.

To control the light (aiming and/or hiding) I use SPLIT WIRE LOOM.

For example:
http://images.cableorganizer.com/wire_loom/split-colored-loom/images/wire-loom_cables.jpg

I put the rope light into the split loom, and where I want light, I just cut back some of the wire loom. Pop a couple short stakes into the gound to hold the ropelight in place and POOF! Quick, easy, effective tombstone uplighting. If you need a little extra brightness, just put some tinfoil in the loom with the ropelight, and cut that back with the loom where needed.

I use about 200 ft total (1x 100' & 2x 50' and that lights all our tombstones. I'll post pics as the setup progresses.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just wanted to clarify... I don't cut a whole 360 deg. section of the loom where I want light to shine, I just widen the cut (the split) on the loom tube. That keeps the light shining where you want it, vs. shining at your viewers. NEVER cut away the loom to expose the light to your viewers, as that kill the whole effect and also de-sensitizes your viewing eyes...

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
hhmmm pretty interesting concept! Please post pics, would love to see it in action!

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
i'd also like to see some pics if possible

·
Registered
240 Posts
That is a cool idea. What we've done for the last few years is use a string of the bigger C9 incandescent Christmas lights. We put a real or fake pumpkin near each tombstone (hollowed out with a big circle cut in the back) and then put one or two of the lights in each pumpkin (depending on how big the tombstone is). In between each tombstone we don't put any lights in the string. The strings we use are green so they blend into the grass. On a couple of the double light tombstones we will put in a blinker or a red light. Although pumpkins aren't traditionally found in cemetaries, it works well and looks great.

Edit: Here's a pic of my graveyard with the tombstones lit up with pumpkins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts