Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure about the rest of you, but....with only 63 days now... till Halloween Night, are you starting to feel the Pressure build, as I am? lol
Each and every year, I seem to get a jump on it...Earlier and Earlier ..hoping that by starting to get into it, by March, and by starting to ease into it, slowly.....that come September.....I will be able to coast right up till October the 1st.
Well......apparently, that is just not the case.
Come March......we are always looking for "FREE" Fencing and "Free" Plywood to use in building our numerous Coffins with....and its FUN....to be driving around.....with one eye on the road and the other eye, on all the back lanes and construction sites, for any of the material that we might be able to use for our builds.
March and April were also spent Corpsing 40 Skulls and also buying other things that we would be using in our Haunt this year.
Found a screaming deal on Craigslist, for an Old Antique "Full Size" Baby Buggy...that we will use in one of our Displays.
Bought a bunch of Old Dolls over the past couple of Months.....that we will Ghoul Up and use in and around the Baby Buggy scene.
Bought things that I will be using on my "Full Size" Horse Drawn Hearse build.....(Which I started last year LOL ).....Old Antique Brass Door Knobs, Old Brass Door hinges.....Plexi Glass for the Side windows....Old Coach Lamps for the sides...etc.
Its the HUNT, for the parts and the pieces that make it that much more FUN, when it comes to doing your own Haunts.
The more that I build my Coffins.....the Easier that it gets and the better that they look and fit.
Mind you......Coffins should not look Perfect....but.....the more that you do something, the better that you get at it.
My Finish on the Coffins is soooo much better than my Originals were, the Mitred joints and angles are so much Tighter now, the edges and corners are all rounded off and smooth and the lids fit much better now.....and the design is so easy to do now.
Having the proper tools to build things with, makes any job that much easier to do.
At the beginning I would use only by Screw Gun / Drill with a Robertson Screw Driver bit in it......to Screw my Coffins together with Sheet Rock screws.
I would use a Hand saw, for most of my cuts.....and I would use a straight looking board, as my only Square. lol
Now......I use air powered Dewalt Brad Nailers and Dewalt Brad Staplers....and have all the Dewalt Tools that anyone could ever think of......12 inch Mitre Saw, Routers, Table Saw, Circular saw, Bench Drill press, Grinders ( Having a 4 1/2 Grinder is a MUST HAVE, for using on Coffins ) .....Digital angle finders, various sizes of Squares.....etc........soooo....Buying the proper tools to use, is all a part of Buying things for Halloween.
Having said that.....using my old hand saw and screws, was just as much Fun to work with.....the Power Tools just let me do things, that much Faster and Better.
My point is, that is doesn't really seem to matter, how soon you get started on your Halloween Projects....as that Clock is just Ticking Down.....Quicker and Quicker and Quicker......as October gets closer and closer to us.
I think......that I could get started on Halloween Night , for the Next years Halloween.......and there still would not be enough Time......to really enjoy it all.......completely Stress Free.
May it is the Stress and the Pressure of being Ready and Finished, that we all enjoy?
I remember the days, when I used to get started on my Halloween stuff.....a few weeks before Halloween Night......Man......where did those days go to? lol
We all have a list of things or ideas in our Heads.......that we would like to get done, for this Halloween..... and have them all ready for the Big Night.....BUT......will all of them, get done "in Time"?
Just wondering......if any of you others out there,.....are feeling the Pressure and the Anxiety and the Stress.......of having only 68 more Days left, till the Kids are all knocking on our Doors?
To make matters worse......we always go away for 2 weeks in September for a little Get a Way to the Sun.....that 14 Days......really screws me up, when it comes to TIME that I miss out on, for my Halloween Build.
68 Days and counting down.
Thats 68 days for people that do not have to work......Monday to Friday.... each and every week.
For us working guys and gals, we have ONLY our Weekends.....to get things built and done.
So.......in case you ask......"YES"......I am definitely FEELING the STRESS and PRESSURE of Halloween, being just around the corner.
How about YOU guys and gals?
Do you FEEL IT?
What are you working on now, and do you think......that you will have it all done in Time, for this years Halloween?
Please.......feel free to share your Stress with me......it will let me know.....that I am not the only NUT Case out there LOL
I LOVE Halloween......and I think.....that the Stress and the Pressure that we feel, just adds to the FUN.
My Dead Line is Sept 30th.......that is when all the Building suddenly STOPS.......If it is not Done.....there is always next year.
October the 1st.....is when our Haunt, starts to go up.
Share your Stress with "ME"........it will help me get through my own. LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am a single mom so my time is always limited!
I love this time of the year and Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. This year I am building a witch burned at the stake in my front yard and on my balcony I plan to have a coven working over a cauldron. The theme this year is "The Retaliation of the Coven". I was planning a different theme but settled on this one due to my ever- increasing storage issue.

Where do you store all your props? Do you rent a facility to store in?

This season brings out a creative mindset for me. I have never been artsy or even able to do much more than stick figures :D So this is not stressful to me! This is F.U.N.!!!

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,053 Posts
I'm feeling some pressure with both time & dollars!

I have my one new headstone almost finished. I just cut out plywood & paint it - I like the look of carved foam, but 98% of the rest of my stones are simply painted plywood, so I'm keeping them matchy. It just needs a few minor details.

My big build is still looming. I found an awesome window curbside one day & grabbed it, but it's pretty big and will require a big shack. Hubby & I have a plan to make the window removable & the rest of the shack will fold for storage. But so far it's just a plan!

I don't start setting up the cemetery until 9/29 so I have time, but that doesn't mean I want to rush the last minute! We've had some glorious (70s) weather the last couple days and I'd much rather have been out building than sitting at work, but that's life.

·
Registered
530 Posts
LOL, we haven't begun anything more than simply talking so far this year! Although, most of what we're planning to do is stuff we've done in the past, so we're not expecting to need as much time for set up and projects. We're finalizing plans this weekend and starting to set up next weekend.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I finished my Witch Garden Sign but we can’t start anything until our master bathroom renovation is finished in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had big plans this year, but never got around to it. Currently, I finished work on 40' of new fence for our graveyard, I'm making all new bases for all of the tombstones and I've got our new lighting scheme planned, all of the parts on hand and just have to do some testing when it stops being so unbearably hot every day. Getting up on the roof in 115 degree heat is not going to happen. But I'll get done what I get done and it will look great as always.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely feeling it. I have a hard time getting the itch to build in the summer because our warm season is so short here; I like to spend free time out in the sun with the kiddos. That said, the SECOND it starts getting rainy, windy and cool towards the end of the season, my brain flips to Halloween, our haunt and within a couple of days I have 6,000 new ideas and never enough time to do them all. I was ready to get to work yesterday, but I just realized that our garage is in no shape to start building, so I’ll have to set the weekend aside to get that sorted out first! Bring on the stresssssss!! ?

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I built what was intended to be a spooky tree stump for my giant raven to perch on in the graveyard but so far I'm not really digging it. I'll keep adding layers of paint to try and get a more realistic bark look but I'm not too optimistic right now. I keep looking at it and saying, "what was I thinking?". It never fails - if I make anything too early I end up not using it. :eek:
I'm really itching to work on some projects but I'm coming up blank. I'm doing my cemetery that I've done for many years and I'll dress up the skeletons however the mood hits me after I get set up, plus my witches will most likely make an appearance as well. I really don't NEED to make anything new, I just want to! Not stressing at all though. This is play time for me! :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm feeling it, I go out to the campgroud for the haunt on Sep 30th. Have lots to do and haven't done anything yet and some other things going on that don't allow me to start working on anything. The biggest thing I keep thinking about is how to redo my shelter was looking at replacing all th eFabric on it as the white lets to much light in but to expensinve to replace all of it. In the past I've put up tarps on top of it but it never really works out that great and a huge pain as they don't fit a 10x20 car port right.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm feeling pretty good right now. I wanted to work the trees on my property more into the display and have. I am a teacher and get most of my work done during the summer. Now that I am back to work I will have little time to focus on Halloween. I am finishing my cauldron/ haunted tree stump this weekend and will knock out a few small things along the way but am basically done. Hopefully I will have the stump done tomorrow.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm elbow deep in canning right now. Not quite literally, but I'm taking a 20 minute break while my roasted peppers cool before I start blanching and peeling tomatoes for my pasta sauce. Thus halloween is on a bit of a back burner just now. I have 5 stones in various stages of completion right now. 3 are so close I can't see me not finishing them in time, the other two may or may not get done - we'll see. I'm also starting a new job next week, and have no idea the workload I'll be picking up, especially since it's a job where I'm largely going to be on my feet, I don't know how much energy I'll have outside of work. If I can get those three done, that will be ok. If I get all five done and get some more of the things on my wish list done (and it's long), even better.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
As of today I am making:

1) a new wreath, will be done next week
2) a mini monster to hang in the tv room, That will take a while because I have to retexture his stupid face so a wekk or so
3) Possible: I finally figured out how to do Death from Discworld without him being a storage nightmare should be done mid September
4)Possible: I got one of the green translucent skeletons from Lowes and I may do a green fairy with her if I can find the materials I need. I can do most of this inside so mid-late September

I also need to finish my Dark Souls Witch costume it is about half done.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Doing necessary house maintenance stuff. Painting our arbor and rebuilding the top is this weekend, with a dose of flowerbed cleanup possible. Front porch floor fix/replacement going to have to happen - you can't hide that soft spot with a couple of pumpkins forever. None of this is ~technically~ Halloween related, but it's all got to be done before.

Once I get arbor and porch dealt with, then I get to pick up some pallets and start building that smokehouse.

I feel so far behind! But the time and energy just haven't been there.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Only on Halloween Forum would a remininder post 68 days before Halloween put panic in the heart. Ha! Ha!

I've picked a theme but that's about it. I recently lost my job so I don't know what to do about Halloween this year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
is there such a thing as being finished?

i'm always still doing stuff, putting out stuff even when the tots start arriving ... its been the same every year since we started when we purchased our house

amk
I know those feels. I always went all out decorating, but since we purchased our house, we’ve started doing walk through mazes and it’s been out of control! I think you’re right, there’s no such thing as being ‘finished’. There are always projects I’m thinking about for next year when I’m in the middle of getting ready for this year lol ?

204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please post pictures of your Hearse, in its various stages of Life.
I am sure......that we would ALL Love to see what you have done!
Having a Hearse in any Haunt......is a HUGE added attraction!

204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW...WOW.....WOW!!!!!!!
That looks AMAZING!!!!!!
I Love how you did your Cauldron.....Hope you don't mind if I rip off your Idea? LOL
It looks GREAT!!!!!
LOVE IT!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts