Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jumping Spider
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/tt-jumping-spider/

Coming soon to Spirit Halloween - Sleeping spider jumps out of his webbed bed ready to attack! Complete with evil lighted eyes and creepy sounds! Requires 4 AA batteries. Optional items include: DC Adapter and footpad. Only $69.99​

·
Wee bit Wicked
2,143 Posts
For all you members still wondering what to get me for Christmas... well, this is it! And don't forget the accessories. Love that! Thanx in advance. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Holy Crap! That would scare the stuffing out of anybody. That is high end fright material! Nice prop, and thanks again Larry and Spirit!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,470 Posts
If it works/looks as good as it does in the video, it would be a great prop. Again, hopefully the stores will have them in stock. They seemed to have stepped up their game this year. If the quality can match the variety, they might be on to something.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Holy Crap! That would scare the stuffing out of anybody. That is high end fright material! Nice prop, and thanks again Larry and Spirit!

I think people would not only be mightily impressed with this prop, but also the very lifelike and lifesize bodies that come with it......................Oh wait, they don't............................they're the previous bunch of TOTs that have just DIED from fright!!

Talk about an immediate evacuation of the bowels................................:eek:

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I was looking to build an animated spider prop this year. This may save me some time, but I'm skeptical about the durability. I've read too many posts from folks who used their Gemmy animations for only an hour or two before they failed.
That said, I bet it would be easy to hack the triggering to use something other than the footpad thingie.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
I love it...and hate it...all at the same time. The price point is perfect. The detail of the prop, eh...not so much.

Why the brownish tarp? Is it needed? I would assume it's just an aesthetic addition to cover the popup mechanism. But why light brown and not black? Wouldn't black be more "hidden".
Also, the spider is hideous, and not in a good way. It looks too "cute" to be jumping at trick-or-treaters. I love the movement but the overall design is kinda lame. Sorry Tekky. Just my Opinion.

I would still consider buying it, if it were easy to modify. First thing to go; that fuzzy spider!
But the mechanism itself is a great universal lunging apparatus! The price point makes it an easy buy! So, I guess I'll get one!
Although I have to wonder how much weight it can support?!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I was looking to build an animated spider prop this year. This may save me some time, but I'm skeptical about the durability. I've read too many posts from folks who used their Gemmy animations for only an hour or two before they failed.
That said, I bet it would be easy to hack the triggering to use something other than the footpad thingie.
That is my concern with these props and is why I build all of mine. Here's the link to my new one and it should last for many years - http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/105815-building-new-jumping-spider.html
I'm anxious to see this prop though and see how big it is. I needed mine to be able to jump up at least 48 inches to clear my graveyard fence. It ended up at 54 inches which is perfect.
I wonder what kind of motor they're using that gives that action with only a 4AA battery pack.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Why do they always have to put the silly music/sound effects with these props? I wonder if they is a switch to turn the sound off.
Probably not, but you can disconnect the speaker wires and solder a 10 ohm resistor to the leads so the spider sound board thinks there's still a speaker there. Then use your own sound effect when the spider is triggered.

Steve, I checked out your jumping spider. Awesome. You better have a supply of ToT costumes for the kids that have "accidents" when that thing jumps out at them!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Nice build! how many hour did it take you
The build itself only took a few hours. We spent several hours working out the design and getting it set perfectly. Even though we had a prototype to work from, my cylinder was different and I wanted mine to come up higher. We also modified the rear cylinder attachment points which improved the design.
As usual, the build was the easy part. It's the design and all the tweaking that takes the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Crap....didn't know my kids had put the speakers at full volume..before I played that clip! Yikes!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I want this prop so badly! The price is right (haha), but I agree with Eyegore that the spider they used looks like a cheap fuzzy one from Michaels. Also, that mechanism looks like it will fail in an instant.

But still, if used with a coupon, that seems to be an excellent deal. I'm getting this! :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Say what you want, but Tekky is leading the way. Someone there is going all out to design unique animatronics at affordable prices. Not all of use have 2-300 balloons for a 6' head nod. They have become the measuring stick if you ask me. I only see these unique creatures coming from them.

Whoever has designed this years line at Tekky- I commend you and I hope you're reading this. Totally impressive. Years ago I could only dream of having such a diverse line of animatronics in my display. Now it's reality.

And for those who cry cheap garbage, all I know is my tekky's are on their third season this year- each an every one of them still working. And my visitors flip over them!

Dan

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
Say what you want, but Tekky is leading the way. Someone there is going all out to design unique animatronics at affordable prices. Not all of use have 2-300 balloons for a 6' head nod. They have become the measuring stick if you ask me. I only see these unique creatures coming from them.

Whoever has designed this years line at Tekky- I commend you and I hope you're reading this. Totally impressive. Years ago I could only dream of having such a diverse line of animatronics in my display. Now it's reality.

And for those who cry cheap garbage, all I know is my tekky's are on their third season this year- each an every one of them still working. And my visitors flip over them!

Dan

now, i never meant to insult tekky. yes, their props are cool, creative and well priced. but if you dont treat them right they just fall apart. i have a few tekky's that have made it through with flying colors, and others that just broke when i pulled them out of the box.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My wife saw this video and immediately said that you should put the Tekky jumping spider in the middle of a display, with a body and a bunch of smaller spiders. Then it looks like part of a static display and isn't all by itself. People walk up to take a look - BAM!

Also, since they say this will work with a footpad, it'll be easy to add a microcontroller with a motion sensor to it so you can control how it's triggered. Already did that with a Tekky prop last year.

1 - 20 of 323 Posts