Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE! I need the same thing! How you going to mount the up/down servos? Where did you get the eyes from? What's the white round pieces in the 2nd piece right behind the eyeballs? PLEASE FILL US IN!!!

·
Shiver me timbers
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The up/down servo will be mounted on a shelf over the eyes.
I got the eyes from here, Real Eyes Acrylic Doll Eyes and are $5.50 a pair.
The white rings behind the eyes are 1/4" thick slices of 1" ID PVC pipe and act as spring clips to keep the eyes in the sockets. The sockets themselves are the lids from Dial roll-on deoderant bottles from the dollar tree like Dr. Morbius uses for his Skulltek(R) skulls. I bought 12 of them intending to use the roll-on ball sockets with the doll eyes, but they were bigger than the roll-on balls and wouldn't fit. So I used the lids out of spite.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE! I need the same thing! How you going to mount the up/down servos? Where did you get the eyes from? What's the white round pieces in the 2nd piece right behind the eyeballs? PLEASE FILL US IN!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
huh. I'm a little confused. Can you explain the sockets a little more? I don't see them in the picture. How do they fit with the PVC slices?

·
Shadow box dancer
1,444 Posts
Are the two axis eyes going to be kind of like Spookineering's microwave motor eyes? When you mention a "shelf" I envision a servo on a plate on a hinge. The servo on the plate makes the eyes go side to side and then another servo moves the plate up and down? If that is how you are going to do it I am super impressed at the simplicity of your idea. Can't wait to see it.

·
Mistress of the 7 Seas
847 Posts
It looks like you came up with another great way to do some 2 axis eyes! I can't wait to see it all wired up and running! I really like the skull you used too, I'm not familiar with that one. Where is it from?

·
Registered
955 Posts
What size ?

I went to the site for the eyes. The link you provided shows half eyes only. The full eyes for 5.50 a pair are only 12 mm which is pretty small. What size did you buy ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh man- I bought the 26mm HALF eyes! I hope that was the right thing to order!!! Can you tell me asap so I can cancel/change the order if I need to?

·
Shiver me timbers
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! The design is taken from Dr. Morbius, bfjou812 and others. The skull is the K-Mart one that Dr. Morbius uses for his Skulltek (R) skulls. I painted it flat black and dry brushed it with ivory paint.

It looks like you came up with another great way to do some 2 axis eyes! I can't wait to see it all wired up and running! I really like the skull you used too, I'm not familiar with that one. Where is it from?

·
Shiver me timbers
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, the shelf will just be a convenient place to mount the mini servo. kinda like what Dr. Morbius did, but I have to allow for the eyebrow servos.

Are the two axis eyes going to be kind of like Spookineering's microwave motor eyes? When you mention a "shelf" I envision a servo on a plate on a hinge. The servo on the plate makes the eyes go side to side and then another servo moves the plate up and down? If that is how you are going to do it I am super impressed at the simplicity of your idea. Can't wait to see it.

·
Shiver me timbers
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
huh. I'm a little confused. Can you explain the sockets a little more? I don't see them in the picture. How do they fit with the PVC slices?
The sockets are the first 3/4" of the lids of the roll-on deoderants. I drilled a hole in the top slightly smaller than the diameter of the eye and then glued the lid into the skull. I probably should do a how-to. I need to build 5 more skulls.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
EB, be REAL careful with regards to jaw servo placement. There is really only one way for the jaw servo to fit and make the jaw move smoothly with those Kmart skulls. Why do I bring this up? Because although there is ample room for everything, the horizontal eye linkage will bang against the jaw servo if not placed just so. Just something I'm passing along. BTW, the eyes look fantastic...I thought about using those dome-like lids too, but was afraid the eye mech would be placed too far back. Looking forward to what you come up with!

·
Shiver me timbers
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Doc. This is the prototype, so I imagine I'm going to be fudging with it for a while. I appreciate the advice. I cut away a good amount of the bottom of the skull, and repositioned where the jaw pivot was. I have a lot of leeway as to where the GYS plate gets mounted.

EB, be REAL careful with regards to jaw servo placement. There is really only one way for the jaw servo to fit and make the jaw move smoothly with those Kmart skulls. Why do I bring this up? Because although there is ample room for everything, the horizontal eye linkage will bang against the jaw servo if not placed just so. Just something I'm passing along. BTW, the eyes look fantastic...I thought about using those dome-like lids too, but was afraid the eye mech would be placed too far back. Looking forward to what you come up with!

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Thanks, Doc. This is the prototype, so I imagine I'm going to be fudging with it for a while. I appreciate the advice. I cut away a good amount of the bottom of the skull, and repositioned where the jaw pivot was. I have a lot of leeway as to where the GYS plate gets mounted.
Awesome! I really like the way you cut the skull top too...I may have to steal some of your ideas..for my own use, of course....heheh.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts