Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jumping Dog
You do not want to pet this dog! Jumping Dog isn't your typical friendly neighborhood pet. He runs around without a leash while he shows off his huge grin, letting everyone know he is always ready to bite.

Order Jumping Dog online 8/1 for $99.99. Stay tuned for a video!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,476 Posts
OK, can you jump the shark with a jumping dog?

It was cool for the spider, but now there's HOW MANY jumping props? Three? Four? The spider, there was a woman zombie-like thing last year, the rat-thing & now a dog. I like options but I don't know how many jumping/startle scares you need.

I'll stick with my spider.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,645 Posts
It was cool for the spider, but now there's HOW MANY jumping props? Three? Four? The spider, there was a woman zombie-like thing last year, the rat-thing & now a dog. I like options but I don't know how many jumping/startle scares you need.

I'll stick with my spider.
Absolutely. IMO, it shows a lack of creativity/ingenuity on the part of Spirit. So there are probably over 20 zombie babies and now, as you said 5 or 6 jumping props. My sense is anyone who was frightened by the jumping spider last year won't be by the rat or dog this year. C'mon Spirit, how about something we haven't seen before!

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
This preview has been disappointing for me so far. Usually I see at least one prop I'd like to have by now, but I just haven't seen anything yet. The props are just rehashed ideas and uncreative. But that's just my opinion.

·
black light queen
2,636 Posts
yeah i agree, no creativity, just picking the low hanging fruit re-hashing the same things ... just like hollywood

its all about the easy $$$ ... which is fine, but i'd think they'd want to have some new "gimmick" every year hoping it is the next huge seller

amk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't mind this as much as others it would seem. So many of the Spirit-level props are cheesy or at best just atmospheric/creepy, the jumping spider really stood out as unique. It was a real startle scare, without pneumatics, affordable on a home haunter's budget, and the mechanism seemed to be relatively durable. This is probably why it proved so popular. It's good to have options, so I'm glad to see them adapting the mechanism to other props that will work with different themes. I doubt I'll buy the dog, but there may be one more of these jumping props that I'll get at some point.

·
Registered
14,440 Posts
Gee this is a really tough crowd. Let's face it most props out there do the same movements as the ones before them--drop down, rise up, lurch forward, they stab at you or shake, maybe they come with sound effects. Oh and there are the floating ghost or such and the crank ghost props of various flavors. I'm sure there are lots of people who didn't buy the spider, maybe they don't like spiders to begin with, and this dog does it for them for a startle effect without being gory or too scary for their little kids. Heck kids in my neighborhood area are lucky to see any real decorations when they come to the house even if it's a parent in costume!

I've been in Spirits stores for the last few years. Whether it's been the lurching vampire or the spider I saw sitting there, as an adult I knew something was going to happen but have to say I still jumped when I walked past. The kids jumped too as they walked past. This dog probably won't be any different for me or a lot of kids.

Also unless I'm mistaken it's not Spirit that is designing the props that are available. Don't they go to the shows and place orders like every other store? When it's "an exclusive" it's my understanding that means they paid to be exclusive retailers of the prop for a period of time not that they designed it. To me it seems like there's a lot of negativity towards them, and I can say if they weren't in business, halloween shopping in my area would be pretty sucky. Tekky Toys, who did manufacture the jumping spider, has only started updating their website with 2013 halloween products like the convulsing nurse, which is like the prisoner from last year. I'm betting that the dog is one of theirs as well.

Oh and the new "hospital" Safety Box I've seen comments on, similar to the High Voltage box sold last year by Spirit, again manufactured by Tekky, not Spirit. Look forward to the video Larry. It's nice to get a preview.

·
Wee bit Wicked
2,144 Posts
Gotta agree with Ghost of Spookie..(bangs head on table, wailing.. I hate when that happens. :D j/k, GoS)

And, unless you are going to buy all the jumping props and line them up side-by-side in your driveway, I don't see what the big deal is about having multiple choices to buy from. :)

I'm just surprised they didn't do a jumping wolf instead. Have seen a lot of wolves on H'ween forums...dogs, not so much. :)

·
Registered
14,440 Posts
It doesn't have to be scary to get a startle and get someone to scream out of surprise. If you want to scare you surprise them with something normal looking, throwing them off balance and feeling a bit silly at their reaction, and then hit them with something really scary for the big scream.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,645 Posts
I hear what you're saying GOS, and to a point, I agree.
Spirit does not make these, but buys them from suppliers. My issue with this stuff is simply the "sameness" year to year. Nothing really innovative or creative, just a recycling of an idea used for the past three years. I loved the jumping spider. It was fresh and unique, something not seen before by he average home haunter. The jumping zombie was not so fresh, now we have the rat and then the jumping Boston Terrier! Why not apply this jumping mechanism and the obviously durable mechanics to say a standing zombie prop that lunges towards you when you walk by. I enjoy shopping at spirit and have dropped some considerable money there over the years but it would be nice to see some fresh stuff. You're right in that there are only so many things you can do with regards to motion props, but maybe rotate the concepts instead of the same suff re-packaged year after year. Hoping the come up with a few more novel things for 2013.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Yeah, tekky does like to ride out a module design! They've done a lot of themes thus far with the trashing module, the jumping module, the rising module, the popup module, etc. It's not terrible if you have a certain theme and they come out with a popup that fits the theme. I mean for a sewer theme, the jumping rat would work well. It's all according to what you might need on the end of that extension pole! But the trend for them seems to be re-themed modules. I'd rather see new modules offering new animation. That's why the other animated props spirit carries often times are so appealing- they're different and actually very decent props. For tekky, I thought they were gonna blow the doors open when they did rosemary- probably the most eleborate prop they ever did- or maybe ever will do. But that seems to have been a one hit wonder. It's back to more simple stuff. Simple being a relative term- we've become very spoiled now, where we had nothing like this animated stuff not too long ago.

I really wish tekky did a grave jumper though. Just a ghoul that from behind a tombstone, leaps over it and lands in front and then resets. That's an awesome commercial prop done with air. If tekky could pull that off, it'd be the next hit.

·
Registered
14,440 Posts
Didn't someone have a popup prop that was causing injuries recently and got pulled by the company. Mght be why we don't have jumping props.

In all fairness to Tekky they did come out with a spitting prop last year, the werewolf that I think Shockwave bought and probably sold more of thru his video! That was kind of a new idea. Tekky also began their use of connecting wires that could be linked to multiple props like the Hi Voltage Box to the John Doe or the Electric Chair guy. That was a first to make props work off each other -- at least at this price level of prop from what I could tell. I guess along those lines might be the interactive talking busts and the Ventriloquist/Dummy props done by other manufacturers.

Giving it a bit more thought, we have also had our share of crawling props and what I'll call "Roomba" props (everything from dancing brooms to bunny slipper kids).

Why all the copy-cat props? Guess the same reason we have sequels to movies...give them what sells until it falls out of favor.

I keep mentioning this idea hoping some manufacturer will pick up on it and give it a try especially since low capacity memory cards are so cheap now (and probably there's unsold inventory of it too -- removable audio track memory cards to let you pick the sayings your prop will say. I have a Honeywell wireless doorbell and remote that lets you download sounds to play when your doorbell gets rung. Love it. Couple of years old. I use it for halloween. I think some Gemmy props came with a CD but not the same thing.

I have a few wireless microphone props -- Gemmy spirit balls. Great idea. Also have two of those Boris Talking Skulls. Same principle. Like them or hate them Gemmy has more ideas for props than I've ever seen. If it was imagined they've produced one. Talking singing fish, talking bear rugs, talking mounted deer, etc. not always halloween related but we've certainly adapted them and used them all the same.

Other things on my wishlist -- Audio volume on props would be nice too. And a switch for background sounds or not. Sometimes those can be so annoying in your setting.

But back to Spirit, I like that Spirit does buy props from different manufacturers so we do get somewhat of a difference in prop style and technology. I love their displays as well.

·
Evil Wizard
2,169 Posts
Other things on my wishlist -- Audio volume on props would be nice too. And a switch for background sounds or not. Sometimes those can be so annoying in your setting.
Several of the life-size animated props being offered this year by Grandin Road apparently have adjustable volume control. Once in the hands of some board members, it will be interesting to see if we can identify who the manufacturer of those products is.

·
Registered
120 Posts
GOS how long have you worked for us?.. Just kidding.. But you certainly sound like one of our buyers.. :D

The jist of it is Spirit is great at what we do. I have attended the big haunt shows (transworld and several smaller ones) almost every year- and yes there are bigger, louder, scarier props out there, but no home haunter could afford them . Our buyers know this and target props that people can afford, and honestly I think they do a fantastic job.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,645 Posts
GOS how long have you worked for us?.. Just kidding.. But you certainly sound like one of our buyers.. :D

The jist of it is Spirit is great at what we do. I have attended the big haunt shows (transworld and several smaller ones) almost every year- and yes there are bigger, louder, scarier props out there, but no home haunter could afford them . Our buyers know this and target props that people can afford, and honestly I think they do a fantastic job.
Not exactly true. To say no home haunter can afford a larger, scarier more expensive prop is inaccurate. Distortions props are a good example of a higher end, slightly more expensive and vastly superior quality to what you carry (read Made in the USA). If we're bluntly honest, many of the Spirit animatronics are shoddy, with cheap components and they have a pretty bad track record. I think you'd be surprised at what people would purchase if you carried it in your seasonal stores IF it was priced right. You may sell more of the lower end cheap animations, however how long do you think customers will be repeat buyers if the stuff lasts only a year or two, if that? The Spirit store in our town last year had a fairly full range of the new animatronic props and at least three of them were malfunctioning within two days of the opening. Doesn't speak well for the product line.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Perhaps I should scan Distortions price sheet? Lol.. cheapest prop with movement is well over $600 and requires an air compressor to operate it. (And that is a small prop)..

Like I said- we try to cater to home haunters- and meet the demand of supplying over 1200 stores. Distortions may make 20 of one item in a year- and we will sell 20 units of a prop in just one store. Its a balance act.. how do you keep cost down, come up with new items, and then supply all these stores with that item- in the hopes that the customer will like it, and it will stand up to multiple uses.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,645 Posts
Perhaps I should scan Distortions price sheet? Lol.. cheapest prop with movement is well over $600 and requires an air compressor to operate it. (And that is a small prop)..

Like I said- we try to cater to home haunters- and meet the demand of supplying over 1200 stores. Distortions may make 20 of one item in a year- and we will sell 20 units of a prop in just one store. Its a balance act.. how do you keep cost down, come up with new items, and then supply all these stores with that item- in the hopes that the customer will like it, and it will stand up to multiple uses.
Point taken. I was referring to the Frightronics line from Distortions, and while they don't have a wide range of movement, are priced right considering the quality. Understandably you have to sell cheap props to the masses to maximize your profits and it is a balancing act I'm sure. As far as the claims of a single store selling 20 units of one prop, please tell me where this store is located. Our local Spirit is lucky to have 2 or 3 of a prop and once they're
gone they can't get more in. This has been the case the past few years and as early as the first week of October we were being told certain props were unavailable and likely would not come in, or else "we're getting shipments in weekly but don't know what's on the truck. We get what they send us." Serious supply issues. "stand up to multiple uses"? Display animatronics were broken the first few days of opening!! These forums are littered with stories of malfunctioning animatronics from Spirit so that's a claim to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't have an axe to grind with Spirit and I've bought things there every year for many years. Nice to see you peruse the forums from time to time. As the largest retailer of Halloween merchandise in the U.S, you guys are the topics of many discussions, most of which have to do with quality, pricing and customer service.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Agree, I like Spirit a lot and do appreciate what they do, but the quality is just not up to snuff. I am very picky what I buy from spirit because, though they have cool ideas the quality is just not there. I do really like the way they have changed character faces and hands recently to the very hard thick plastic, over the cheap flimsy sandwich bag thin stuff from years ago. At least now even when the props break down, you can still use the hands and heads to make new stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts