What a cool idea!!
How do you light them up? Do you have to come back frequently to replace an LED votive? It would still be fun unlit, but a lot more mysterious if it glowed at night, and I see the example in the photo is lit.
First of all, glad you are on board the Pumpkinrot Express & spreading the love for the holiday!I LOVE this idea!! There's a house for sale in town that needs one.
I too have questions about the lighting, how to keep it lit, etc. My guess is you don't keep it lit. It just shows up one night lit & that's it. You could use a real one or a fake. A fake with and LED would last longer but ....I'll have to think on that one or someone else will have to come up with another idea.
True..that's the risk if the JOL's stay is longer than just All Hallow's Eve. Hopefully, the jack butts stay home We are rallying for family & friends to also participate~super inspiring to see(and get pics of) lit jacks in random places, all over town!Ok, I really want to do this too. I have to think of a good spot though....hmmm. Also I want to get a good price on pumpkin, real is probably cheaper than a fake. I wonder how long it will take some jack butt to smash them. Well if it lasts one night it will be cool. I'm excited !
I was wondering the same thing about the tags. We obviously don't need them to do this but they are cute.When I clicked the link in the post, it showed little wooden tags- do we need those to attach to the JOL?
They are cute~looks like a woodburned stamp to me. Maybe the tag was for if/when somebody got more curious about why the pumpkin was there or simply sending harvest blessings?When I clicked the link in the post, it showed little wooden tags- do we need those to attach to the JOL?
Do you have a facebook/pinterest/twitter/website tracking the project with all this info?Hello Everyone,
My name is Adam. i am the one behind this project. I rarely ever post on here but lurk quite often. I'd like to offer some insight on how I am going about the project. First off, I'd like to say I am ecstatic with the amount of people who love the idea. The more this spreads, the better. So here is how I'm going about the project, and if you would like to get on board, there are a few guidelines I respectfully ask you follow. My mission is 1 jack o lantern everyday/night of October, in a location that looks as if it needs to be graced with a grinning pumpkin. Im sure all of you on this forum can relate to the feeling of joy you feel when you see a lit pumpkin sitting on a nice porch during a cool fall evening. Now how great would it feel to see one placed in a randomly spooky graveyard, old train station or just on a highway overpass. PURE HALLOWEEN BLISS! This is a feeling i wanted to spread locally, and hopefully others would like to do as well.
If you are in fact onboard, and would like to participate there are a few guidelines that would be hugely appreciated if followed:
1. If you have the time and ability, try and put out one jack for every remaining night of the month. I know this is tough to do, lots of carving and time to do so. Trust me i know, but I'm doing 31. But if you can only do one, just make sure its placed in a spot that is worth it. Or at least close to your heart haha. This is not just for Halloween night. As a matter of fact, its even cooler that its any random night in October.
2. PLEASE DO NOT USE ACTUAL FIRE! I know this is very tempting, but please do not leave a pumpkin with actual flame sitting out. I am using led tea lights from walmart to ensure there is no accidents. If you take pics and need more light use what is needed, but please don't use actual flame. Last thing we want is to burn down the awesome places.
3. If you would be so kind as to tag the pumpkins with the Great Pumpkin Project tags, that would be great. There is a logo made, and I will post it shortly. This helps make sure that this is all done under one banner. Create your tags however you like, I used wooden tags and created a rubber stamp. But use the logo.
4. If you decide to take pictures, please send them to [email protected] This is brand new to me, and didn't expect this much of a response, so please bare with me as i work out the details. But id like to collect pictures taken, and display them somehow. I will learn as I go.
5. SPEARD THE SPIRIT! PRESERVE THE EVE OF ALL HALLOWS! HAIL THE HARVEST!!!
Thanks so much for the support.
#TheGreatPumpkinProject2015 would be the perfect hashtag for this. I'm on Instagram and Twitter.Do you have a facebook/pinterest/twitter/website tracking the project with all this info?