Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm also a modeller and like to build things from foam/plaster, as well as halloween of course!

I've recently come across various articles about Johnson's Klear - the floor wax, which is an acrylic based polish for floors. This is used extensively by modellers for various things, one of them being to seal plaster in ortder to make master molds of plaster objects with RTV silicone.

I was just wondering if anybody has used this for sealing outside props - maybe papier mache skulls, pumpkins or the like? It's cheap and goes on very well so may be a useful tool?

Here's one article here, but there are many more to be found; http://www.longrangelogistics.com/2010/03/02/magic-wash-redux-johnsons-klear-renamed/

This is how it used to look;

Klear2.jpg

This is what it looks like now;

41VyGMcLl7L._SY450_AA450_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA450_SH20_.jpg

·
Registered
464 Posts
As a modeler I use this stuff extensively, as a prop builder not so much. I have used it to give a wet look to certain items - eyes, hands . Also as a base coat on porous items so the colored paint would not just soak in.
For a sealer I would not recommend it as it is acrylic and water will dissolve it over a period of time.
I live in a Very wet climate , so I use "thompsons water seal & spar urethane" for outside props that need to stay dry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As Rumsfield says, it's great for eyes, fingernails, etc. I've used it in polymer clay jewelry to get a glass effect. It dries very glossy. If your prop is going to be outside a long time in a potentially wet climate, you're much better off with a spar urethane of some sort. I've used and been very happy with Rust-oleum spray Varathane, but there are other options depending on what you're planning on using it on.

Here's what I've used: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Varathane-250081-Outdoor-Urethane/dp/B000VIX0B2

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I did think myself that it could be useful, but good to know that as a sealant, probably not. That's a good idea about using it as a basecoat on porous surfaces as I have had problems in the past trying to paint some things that were porous and my thoughts were basically smother things in paint! Doesn't always work though so I'll remember this. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts