Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
black light queen
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there an alternative to johnny apple seed that's more suited to halloween?

i've always thought of seeding pumpkins in random areas ... i've never planted pumpkins so have no idea how much care/attention they'll need & am curious if there's another better idea than pumpkins? some seed that can be planted then left?

probably illegal any ways ;-)

amk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Pumpkins are a pain-in-the-butt to grow. I have been trying unsuccessfully for over 4 years. They require a lot of maintenance (watering, weeding, pruning, and pest control). It also depends on were you live as to weather they will "randomly" grow or not. I think you would have more success in cooler northern climates than warmer southern ones. Even if you could seed an area and have pumpkins randomly grow they would only last for one season so you would have to do this every year.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ah pumpkins arent That hard to grow, I'm on my second year. The first year I only had the rodent problem, it ate all the female flowers but otherwise I had 4 successful vines growing in a rather small backyard. I didn't even bother with weeding or watering actually.

·
Registered
286 Posts
IowaGuy - I will have to send you my seeds to plant, it's just too hot and humid were i'm at (there is a hell on earth - I live there). Last year I spoke with numerous specialty seed companies about my growing issues and they could only recommend 1 type of pumpkin seed that would grow in my climate zone; it was a small ornamental variety - it's like whats the point I can't carve a 4" diameter pumpkin. But if you live in a good growing climate start spreading the seeds and take / post some photos. It would be soooo cooool if you could stop along the highway and take fall photos among a patch of "naturally" grown pumpkins.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,784 Posts
Even if you could get them to just grow wild, the wildlife would take a toll on them. As it is I can't keep ones I've bought from the critters past mid-November. If I get any early & put them out I'll find little squirrel notches taken out of them here & there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Even if you could get them to just grow wild, the wildlife would take a toll on them. As it is I can't keep ones I've bought from the critters past mid-November. If I get any early & put them out I'll find little squirrel notches taken out of them here & there.
Or they become opossum homes:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ah pumpkins arent That hard to grow, I'm on my second year. The first year I only had the rodent problem, it ate all the female flowers but otherwise I had 4 successful vines growing in a rather small backyard. I didn't even bother with weeding or watering actually.
Im on my 4th year of growing pumpkins and it has been very easy. I make the hills about 10 inches tall and plant the seeds 5 feet apart. My rows are 10 feet from each other.
The pumpkins have to have full sunlight all day. This is the most important thing to grow pumpkins, sunlight and do not over water them. My last patch I had dozens of Orange
and Casper pumpkins. I never had any critter problems with pumpkins. Lucky maybe. This will be fun this time as my patch is 50 by 50ft so it will be fun to tend to.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Jack B'Little & other small gourds are easy to grow. They seem to last a lot longer then the big types too. Growing them on a trellis makes it easier to care for & water.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need a lot of space. My pumpkin vines must’ve travelled 20-30 ft in various directions and were produced nice sized pumpkins no. Fun to look at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here in New England they grow like weeds. My father planted some for my niece, they were a headache till the day he died. The last thing I would do would be to plant them randomly. If someone did it on my property I would be extremely upset. I would call the police if I knew who did it, not sure what they could do, but trespassing would be explored!

1,277 Posts
My Chiropractor had a neighbor who tossed a couple of Cinderella's into the horse's manure pile. They had been used decorative so not craved. Next spring there were vines everywhere he said, and so many pumpkins the horses were eating the ones they could reach. The only care they got was being tossed into the manure pile. Honestly I'd have thought the heat from the rotting of manure would have cooked the seeds, guess not. He saved me 10 or so for our Halloween party that year. Alas my chiropractor retired and moved so no idea if the pumpkins reseeded themselves.

While on a road trip in late Sept visiting cemeteries, across the RR tracks of one rural graveyard was what looked like a wild field of gourds. It was very over grown with weeds and unlike pumpkin patches very unkempt, nothings like rows of hills or such but there were vines and lots of gourds growing. I know from talking to a couple of patch owners they plow under the unsold pumpkins in the hopes they reseed the patch.

As for my own vines I consider myself lucky if the slugs allow the seeds to actually grow. My best year I had 4 small pumpkins make it to the orange stage... and that was even with me helping the pollination along as suggested by someone in the pumpkin grower's thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts