Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up, monster kids! Johnny Thunder with word of another Universal reinterpretation of a literary and horror classic - "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

Universal is developing a "modern retelling" of the story, and apparently Keanu Reeves (ugh....) is set star as the good and bad doctor. The script is being written by Justin Haythe. No director has been set in stone, but apparently Nicolas Winding Refn is in negotiations.

And - as the story notes - this is the second Jekyll & Hyde flick in development right now - as we talked about earlier, del Toro is working on his own interpretation of the story.

No plot details yet, but keep checking back for more details as they unfold.

Keanu Reeves in for new 'Jekyll'

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Reeves isn't a good enough actor for that part. He was positively wooden in Dracula. I should think del Toro's version should be very watchable.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I own the 1920 version with John Barrymore. There was some make up, but he was effective using facial contortions. I would be interested in seeing del Toro's version.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The Barrymore version SMOKED...you GOTTA dig it when he is hallucinating and seeing that giant spider crawling up his legs with Mr Hydes' face on it....
Top THAT ILM!
But Barrymore was very creepy in that...one of my gramma's faves..she drove to it ON HER OWN and saw it UNACCOMPANIED back in 1920...in her words;"I might as well have been smoking opium...it was that big a scandal.."

·
Registered
320 Posts
there's a great DVD out there with BOTH the Spencer Tracy AND the Fredric March versions...I like the March version the better of the two, he was a great great actor...and like Barrymore you can see a lot of the transformation with just his eyes and facial contortions.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It could go either way, but he's broken my heart before...I had some hopes for THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL when I saw the trailer, but...it could work if they focus on that wide eyed look he can get when he is trying to keep it cool and fighting back the urge to go bug nuts...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts