Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help/guidance on building a cross large enough to let one of my helpers on this years haunt step up about a foot off the ground and lean against this cross like jeepers creepers. we plan on putting a "fake" jeepers creepers out for a week before Halloween and then on Halloween night take the fake one down and have my friend stand in its place. This way the neighbors and kids get use to seeing it in the yard not doing anything, well not until Halloween night anyway.

I need to build it in such a way that I do not have to dig a huge hole in my yard to support the cross. I was thinking of attaching it somehow to a 4x8 plywood base and just brace it from the rear somehow and just disguise the braces with moss or ???.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Using the plywood base would probably work alright. You could even go with 4'X4' piece and pin it to the ground with landscaping spikes. I have used them on several props and by the time I'm ready to take them down, I have to pry them out of the ground. I don't know what type of soil you have in Texas, so it might make a difference. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have thought of doing the same thing for a few years now but never got to it. I was going to use one of those metal mailbox mounts you drive in the ground.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ok well you could have a piece of plywood about 5 inchs to 6inches wide about 5ft long and then another one the same but about 7ft long and the 2x4s nailed to the back and the horizontal piece is cocked up at an angle and then 4 pieces about 3 to 4 ft long of a 2x4 running outward with spikes on the end to hold it in place

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have come up with an idea that may just work. I am going to build the cross and using pieces of conduit for a brace on the back and sides to hold it in place and then build a seperate small step/base right in front of the cross and use fake plants/vines/straw to hide most of it giving the illusion of him standing on it, this way all he has to do is "fake" that hes actually on the cross and will be still able to hold onto it but not need to worry about it holding any actual weight.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this is what I ended up doing. I took an 18" piece of 4" PVC pipe, put an end cap on it, dug a hole in my yard where the cross would go, secured it with cement and then put a small irrigation box and cover over it. So when I want to plant the cross in the ground I just remove the small green cover and put it in, fits nice and secure.

Now here's the catcher, when I was doing all this I had to keep the cross in the ground for about 20 minutes to get everything nice and level, a lady in a mini van stopped near the sidewalk and shouted (not mean, just load enough so I could hear her) "Bless Jesus and thank you for reminding people about his sacrifices" I just said "Thanks". Now about 30 seconds after she pulled away it hit me, how are people gonna react when they see "jeepers creepers" on the cross for a week? Of course the whole yards gonna look like a cemetery and she didn't see the "fake" creeper I made and it doesn't look like a crucifixion when I mounted it on the cross. But its got me worried now. I know crucifixions have been around since before Jesus was crucified but some fanatics may freak.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, no replies so I guess I am worried for nothing............

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
I have used crosses in my yard with corpsed buckies on them for two years in a row now. What i've come to realize is that most people wont say anything but be ready for those that will. Chances are they will see it as a scarecrow more than a machery of Jesus. I on the other hand am pushing the envelope a tad bit further.

If you do decide to do it can you post pics? I wanted to do this exact same idea last year but it never ended up happening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts