Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This figure started life as a Gemmy "Halloween Monster". His jaw broke the day after Halloween, and Gemmy honored the warranty - I returned the defective head, and they replaced it with an entire new Halloween Monster. For 2 years I used the body as a gag prop in our Mad Scientist Laboratory - he's on the left with the "Reject" sign around his neck.

I got inspired to do the redress when Factory Card and Party Outlet was having a pre-season clearance sale of costumes, and we picked up the Jason Vorhees costume with mask for 10 bucks. The costume, extra large, fit over the body without any problems. There are no pants with the costume, but the monster's pants work just fine.
I used a spare Styrofoam wig stand and a grey over the head ghost mask for Jason's head. I mounted the wig stand onto a large spring - actually it was a candle holder that you twist into a jack o'lantern. I bent and adjusted the lower part of the spring so it would mount onto the rotating neck piece of the Halloween Monster.
Weathered work gloves cover the monsters green hands, and I took the chains off the wrists.
The machete is a simple Halloween prop.
What is cool is that this Gemmy figure will work even without the monster head in place. Of course, the sound from the monster is inappropriate, so that is turned down. I may have a tape playing Jason breathing and grunting through the microphone jack, but I'm not sure if that will disengage tyhe motion sensor. When the sensor is activated he rotates his head back and forth and moves his arms. Under atmospheric lighting and/or a strobe I think he'll be very effective.
I'm sorry now I didn't buy another Jason costume on clearance. I could have put that costume on and replaced the animatronic at some point during our party... :D

Total cost for the figure, including shipping the defective head to Gemmy - about $20.75.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You're living proof of the prop-builder's maxim: "Never throw anything away!" Great recycling of a broken prop that many might have just tossed!

·
Registered
916 Posts
You see, I didnt care for the indoor picture with the flash, but when I scrolled down and got a look at that outdoor night picture...SHAZZAM ! Very nice!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You see, I didnt care for the indoor picture with the flash, but when I scrolled down and got a look at that outdoor night picture...SHAZZAM ! Very nice!
:D When I looked at the flash picture, I thought the same thing!
Oh yea, lighting and sound will be important. I'm thinking some distressed burlap behind him, maybe a 20 watt red party bulb and a strobe...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts