Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After far too long a time to wait, James Horner's magnificent score for Ray Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes" has finally been officially released. It's limited to 3000 editions, and can be found at the Screen Archives site, here --

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (3000 EDITION) -- SCREEN ARCHIVES ENTERTAINMENT

One of Horner's very best scores, IMHO, delightfully creepy in good measure, with almost achingly nostalgic underpinnings... I've used certain passages from it (recorded off the old LD's mono B track) for my home haunts, really helping to set an eerie and ominous mood (The creepy cuts, obviously; the nostalgic passages I enjoy listening to while carving pumpkins or just watching the turning leaves fall...).

The SAE site also offers a wealth of soundtrack gems from composers like Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore, and many others whose work has really put the chill in the greatest horror films of all time. A really wonderful site to prowl.

And speaking of Ron Grainer, or speaking of him just now, his cool score from "The Omega Man" has been re-released ("2.0"), so if you like your macabre organ solos with an angsty-touch of '70's brass and percussion, you might want to check it out as well. (Grainer scored, among other things the title theme and much incidental music for "The Prisoner" series.)

Most Sanguine Cheers,
SOT

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pleasure, LMB4XM...

I also recommend Jerry Goldsmith's "The Illustrated Man", a score that I think shares a similar sense of "eerie heartland nostalgia"... It has a sultry, Summery feeling that also captures a "Bradbury-esque" flavor, as the heat comes on...

And, Bernard Herrmann's "Portrait of Hitch" can be found on Amazon, as part of a decent Herrmann collection. Autumn never quite sounds complete without it to me (and it brings Autumn close in those more distant months, imo). As to Winter, well, nothing quite like Herrmann's "Fahrenheit 451"...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thank you for posting all this, Son-of-Thing. I'm a great fan of Ray Bradbury and the novel Something Wicked This Way Comes. I saw the movie on first release, but had forgotten how good James Horner's score is. You've given many good suggestions to fill up my music shopping cart. Just mentioning the names Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore brings back so many hours of being spellbound, frightened, and delighted at the movies.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, it's my great pleasure, Caddo. For years, the only way one could listen to Horner's "SWTWC" was, as I mentioned, on the LD's b-track, and only in mono. It's great to hear it as a stand-alone score in full stereo. The SAE site is really wonderful -- I've got a wishlist going there that always gives me something to look forward to... (and working late for...lol)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My pleasure, LMB4XM...

I also recommend Jerry Goldsmith's "The Illustrated Man", a score that I think shares a similar sense of "eerie heartland nostalgia"... It has a sultry, Summery feeling that also captures a "Bradbury-esque" flavor, as the heat comes on...

And, Bernard Herrmann's "Portrait of Hitch" can be found on Amazon, as part of a decent Herrmann collection. Autumn never quite sounds complete without it to me (and it brings Autumn close in those more distant months, imo). As to Winter, well, nothing quite like Herrmann's "Fahrenheit 451"...
I have to agree..I think "Portrait of Hitch" is from "The Trouble with Harry"..One of my favorite Hitchcock films..if only for the very dark humour..but the absolutely beautiful shots of (I think) Vermont in the Autumn..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anyone willing to share a copy of the SWTWC soundtrack? Unfortunately, its no longer available to purchase from that site. Its one of my favorite novels, which I'm currently re-reading & I'd really love to have the music.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts