Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
524 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. You definitely need to make sure it is filtered good. I am not sure how good CO2 is for pneumatics though. In logic it sounds like it would work. Only downfall is how long can this thing last. CO2 isn't exactly all that cheap. You can get it at any paintball or sports store refilled.

Here is there site...

JacPac CO2 System - How JacPac Works

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,758 Posts
I think if you were using an efficient prop like a TCT or a simple pop up, it might last you for some time , but any prop that wastes air or has multiple movements would likely crush that small tank in no time. they said you can get 500 brads out of a tank. Seems like a decent amount, but then again you are only using a very small burst of air. :rolleyes:

It's too bad you couldn't refill that at home like one of those 5 gallon air storage tanks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The 20 oz says 6 tubes of caulk. If you consider the size of a tube of caulk and the complete throw, which is about 10 inches or so, it would probably be about 18 charges for a door close cylinder. If you could use more efficient smaller bore cylinders, maybe you could get 40 or 50 shots. But likely any kind of air loss is going to limit the total charge cycles. Of course swapping tanks during the haunt is an option.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It would be cheaper to just use a portable airtank even if you didn't own one a couple of these tanks would pay for a portable.and the portable will last longer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think if you were using an efficient prop like a TCT or a simple pop up, it might last you for some time , but any prop that wastes air or has multiple movements would likely crush that small tank in no time. they said you can get 500 brads out of a tank. Seems like a decent amount, but then again you are only using a very small burst of air. :rolleyes:

It's too bad you couldn't refill that at home like one of those 5 gallon air storage tanks.
You are right. I bought my son a VEX robot and I took a look at their pneumatic system for it and all they use is a reservoir. I figured it must be useable.

I bought one (jacpac) and got a free 20oz tank along with th 9oz so I will definately try it on a couple of my props an let everyone know the results.

I got it for nailing but had the prop thought afterwards.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use CO2 for all my props. This year, I made a creature box mounted in the back of my truck that could be remote triggered while driving around town. Everything, including the tank, was mounted inside the box. The looks on the old ladies' faces was priceless!

My creature box went through about half of a 5# tank just triggering it at stop lights over the course of a couple days and at one 2-hour party. That's using a 1 inch bore, 6 inch stroke cylinder at about 60 PSI. You do have to watch out for freezing up the regulator and lines when using CO2. I haven't had any problems, but I also only use intermittent shots and run one tank per prop.

I would be interested in seeing how long the 20oz tanks really last in a prop. I can see a lot of possibilities using one of those in a small remote controlled prop... Ibjeepin, please let us know how it goes!

By far the cheapest place to get CO2 is through soft drink/beer distributors. Buddy up to a restaurant owner and you could probably get 20# tanks for under $20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts