Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to build a large Jack Skellington to place on my roof for Christmas this year. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for a Jack head? I plan on him being approximately 8-10 ft. tall. :confused:

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
If you're making it 8' tall, the head doesn't need to be very large, given the proportions of Jack Skellington.

From what i can see, if Jack stands 8 feet, his legs are about 4 1/2 feet (roughly), his torso is about 2 feet, his neck just over a half foot, and his head making up the difference (around a foot high).

I would think paper mache is the way to go.
Simple sphere, and start building up on it from there.

Keep in mind, I think from his shoulder to finger tip is about as long as his legs, and the hand / fingers is about as long as his head and neck together (so, about a foot and a half for his hands...and 3 feet for arms).

·
Registered
128 Posts
if it's goind to be on the roof, you don't need the face to really be in 3D
you can paint a football , that's easy and cheap to find with this diameter, and you just paint the face on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I were doing it, I would just start with a styrofoam sphere and whittle away at it. But that's just me.
That's what I'm doing but i can't find big styro spheres here, the biggest was about 6" in diameter so I guessed it was the same everywhere else :D
I'll have to adjust the size of Jack because of this head diameter :(

·
Registered
647 Posts
Have you looked in craft stores like Michaels, A.C. Moore? I would think they have them.

Another good place to look for large foam blocks is behind furnature stores. We've found large pieces of foam about 2 x 1 foot blocks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A big ball of tin foil for his basic head shape....and either build onto that with clay or papier maché...?
I'm actually going to attempt a Jack myself... But mine will need all the details as perfect as I can get them - he's going in my front garden beside a Christmas tree...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the suggestions, I think I will find a mask and work with that. BTW thanks for all the dimensions Ugly Joe that will help!!:)

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I got a styrofoam wig head, and chopped away some of the base to make it a straight neck (didn't NEED to as that was covered by the beard, but I'm a perfectionist that way), then molded over that with Crayola Model Magic, just a very basic design.

Over top of THAT, I used Air Dry Porcelain for the finer details. I would reccomend using paperclay instead were I to do it again. Painted with acrylic. Covered with a gloss protective coat.

Beard is made from some fuzzy yarn tied to a shoestring. Hat superglued in place. Body is PVC pipe covered in about a years worth of plastic shopping bags and covered in duct tape. arms/legs are PVC pipe.

Hands were pipe cleaners, but are being re-designed this year.

Held up with rebar up the back, and a second rebar up one of the legs to keep him from spinning around.

Going to redo the legs and hands this year because I used a calculator, and really need the legs LONGER. I'm also thinking of how to make Zero.

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
I got a styrofoam wig head, and chopped away some of the base to make it a straight neck (didn't NEED to as that was covered by the beard, but I'm a perfectionist that way), then molded over that with Crayola Model Magic, just a very basic design.

Over top of THAT, I used Air Dry Porcelain for the finer details. I would reccomend using paperclay instead were I to do it again. Painted with acrylic. Covered with a gloss protective coat.

Beard is made from some fuzzy yarn tied to a shoestring. Hat superglued in place. Body is PVC pipe covered in about a years worth of plastic shopping bags and covered in duct tape. arms/legs are PVC pipe.

Hands were pipe cleaners, but are being re-designed this year.

Held up with rebar up the back, and a second rebar up one of the legs to keep him from spinning around.

Going to redo the legs and hands this year because I used a calculator, and really need the legs LONGER. I'm also thinking of how to make Zero.

You did a great job! I am thinking Zero on a FCG rig would be a great idea!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
If I had such a rig, I would sure be doing that. I don't know that I'll have the time to build one for a display by December, though.

Been thinking of cheese cloth stretched over a wire frame for the body, and sculpting the head ala Jacks, with a nice red lightbulb for a nose. Just need to find wire sturdy enough to hold up to potential snowfalls.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
That Jack is F A B U L O U S!

·
Registered
128 Posts
unorthodox, if I decided in the 1st place to build a santa Jack, it was all your fault ...lol
Once I saw your Jack, I had to have one :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
btw i've found a styro sphere, 7.9 inches in diameter, I hope that won't be too big, as I've checked the "real" proportions of Jack, and looks like if his head diameter is X, then is torso is 2.5/3 X and his legs 6X...that would be a 6.56 ft jack with a 7.9" head
I've ordered the sphere, i should have it next monday or so

Do my proportions seem correct to you ? I'm building a santa Jack (how original ...!!!!!) next to a black xmas tree, the tree mesures 1.96 ft, it's a small one... and I want Jack to bend over the tree to put the (black) star on top. I don't want him to be bigger than 3.2 ft (I hope my conversions are correct as I use a metric/us calculator as we only speak in meters...lol)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts