Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Jack-o-Lantern tree this year. My idea is to use plastic jack-o-lantern pails. I'm thinking about cutting the eyes, nose and mouth out and placing a tea light inside. Will the tea light light up the cut out Jack-O-Lantern face good at night?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
What a great idea! Not sure how bright LED battery-op tea lights would be- or how long they'd last. They would certainly work for one night. If you wanted your display to last longer I think I might opt for running electric indoor/outdoor lights instead.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I hung mine using c7 light strands. It's fairly awkward to get them placed and then you have extra lights. It would be nicer just to have lights IN the JOL pails like you are thinking. Only I leave them up for the whole months, so turning them on each night would be impossible.
However, the C7's do go along with the whole crazy thing I have going on in my yard.

The good news is that the plastic bails that are already on most of the plastic JOL pails will hold them. I used similar system holding blow molded owls up in my tree for several years without ever having any fall.

best front (7).jpg

Last year, I switched over to those rigid plastic type JOLs. They are a bit awkward to hang. I think the plastic pails would be easier for you.

1 (11).jpg

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It's a little time consuming- but if you want to black out individual mini bulbs between stuffing a few lit ones in each jack-o-lantern, just get the right size black rubber tubing and cut pieces long enough to securely sleeve the individual lights.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,858 Posts
I used the paper lanterns from Dollar Tree. I wanna say I have about 50 now. The only drag is you have to put them together, put batteries in each one & turn them all on individually. Though I'm sure they could easily be strung with string lights, I've just never done it. I had a buttload of batteries one year & the patience to turn them all on & off. At the end of the night I just break them down & store them flattened in a couple of Ziplocs.

The pics aren't great but you get the idea.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
RCIAG,

I can imagine what that setup looks like when lit, and lemme tell ya, that is really cool.

If I was to attempt a Jack Tree (which is the original Halloween Tree, thanks to Uncle Bradbury), I wouldn't want glowing pumpkins, but faces. The only way I can think to manage that would be to use either funkins, slowly building up a collection over the years, or make paper mache Jacks, which would be more susceptible to the weather.
With the funkins, I'd use a string of large LED christmas lights, the biggest bulb on the market. I'd remove a few bulbs so that I had one every two feet or so, and tape off the empty sockets.
I'd then secure the light string to each funkin with a little craft wire pushed into the 'flesh' of the funkin. I'd use the same wire to form small loops in the top of the funkins, and then I'd attach large S hooks to those loops for hanging.

This rig would give me something very weather resistant, fairly dependable and easy to turn on or off with one action. It would also give me the effect I want; a scattering of faces glowing and turning in the branches.

It's a dream for now. I don't have a decent tree in my front yard at the moment for such a project. Still, one day...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have been searching this idea for the past month or two trying to come up with a good option, so I'm super excited to see this thread. I was going to go the funkin route but that gets expense to have enough pumpkins to make it look good, then I thought of the pails but like HalloScream said I would want to cut the eyes ect. out to have it glow better. I was looking at tea lights or actually votive candles that have a remote or a timer to be able to turn them off so I can burn them for a few nights not just Halloween. I have found a few good options of those that have decent reviews, most of those are the ones with timers...stay on for six and off for 18 hours.
anyone who has done this before , it can get windy in Oct. do you have any ideas to keep them from blowing all over the place?

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
We hung some of the plastic pails in our tree last year. I used tea lights. Bought a bulk bag of a hundred and it lasted me the last couple weeks of October. Had to go out each night and light them, but it looked good and lasted a few hours.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,589 Posts
I love all the pics in this thread /snags them for my inspiration folder

Been thinking this over for this year as well, I want to try out the plastic pails and throw a glowstick or a couple glow items in there to see what it looks like. You can get the glowsticks fairly cheap and I would only want it for the big night to be lit up.

I like the convenience of using string lights so you can get turn them on but we have tons of squirrels in my trees and they always chew my wires >< So I can never do the cool lit trees with string lights thing.

So my alternative to it and cheaper idea vs tealights would be the glowsticks. Once I get to that project I will post my results :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I hung the pails in our tree last year, and didn't have time to add lights to them, but that was the idea! I tested out the battery operated tea lights, though, and they worked well. You could always use the brighter LED JOL lights.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts