Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting a new thread for the jack-o-lantern display. I’m going to start the new thread with the ones I carved last year. I stopped buying real pumpkins last year and started using the PU craft pumpkins from Michaels craft store. It’s the only place I can find these particular craft pumpkins. They are some type of dense poly urethane foam, not styrofoam like those I see everywhere else. They are about 1/4” thick in the walls and carve really easy with a hot knife. I have one that looks like a soldering iron with and exacto knife attachment. I have 20 new 13” pumpkins ready to pick up and 4-5 nine inch pumpkins in a bag in the garage that I didn’t get carved last year. They are expensive $20-$30 each but will last for many years. Pictures are mixed in with some Gemmy plastic pumpkins I used to fill out the display. I’m really excited to see what this year’s display will look like. I think there are about 28 from last year when I stopped so this year the display should be about 2x what’s in the pics with more of the larger pumpkins.

265CEB1C-DBF8-4A67-9DE5-B66252C86CD7.jpg

271608BE-87A8-4EBA-BA23-72A09DB43976.jpg

783AEB63-E4B2-4CBC-993E-68779BE66FFF.jpg

BEB67BAA-D187-406A-B51A-1CF743B8B596.jpg

086F6523-6EEF-437C-96E8-7D5E4D0FB29F.jpg

844F6B49-AC9D-4AFA-B5AF-4319B168E75C.jpg

E863FC25-836F-4EBC-AD1E-B59A647FB16E.jpg

B9E90A1B-D157-4353-B87A-781C11E9FC5F.jpg

DA49692C-211D-4916-92BB-AD2F93EB6BDE.jpg

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,858 Posts
So did you just have Michaels order them for you? How & where do you store yours?

We have a "corral" that my husband made & of course it's now overflowing on to the floor & into other containers in the basement!!:D I do something similar & I'm always curious to see how other folks store their stuff like this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So did you just have Michaels order them for you? How & where do you store yours?

We have a "corral" that my husband made & of course it's now overflowing on to the floor & into other containers in the basement!!:D I do something similar & I'm always curious to see how other folks store their stuff like this.
I have very limited space so I packed them loosely in 50 gallon totes so I could stack them in the basement and not have to worry about moisture or getting damaged since some of the faces have very little structure after carving. It’s not very efficient since only like 3 big ones to a tote at $20 a tote but at least they are safe and it’s a 1 time expense.

As for ordering, I ordered online last night, there is a 40% off entire order if placed online, opted for pickup in store and was ready an hour later. Saved me about $300 or better. I was looking through the hobby lobby ad today, I can’t say for sure but it looks like they started carrying them under a different brand. The picture is definitely the ones I have but the description says paper mache. You can look yourself, SKU: 5320254. They are 40% off now without a coupon. I think the description is wrong.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am only about 38 minutes from Arthur. I am in Mt Zion Illinois which is jut outside Decatur.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! super nice work!!

i got 8 at home depot one year for a $1 a piece and i thought i was doing good on pumpkins. lol!
You can’t beat $1 a piece. These are pretty pricey so I gotta pace myself or I’ll go in with my O.C.D. In full steam and carve the **** out of some pumpkins. Then I’ll have to buy more, lol. That’s what happened with my animated witch coven, started with an idea of 3 or 4, then grew to 7 and I think we’re up to 12 or 13 with 3 months to go.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am only about 38 minutes from Arthur. I am in Mt Zion Illinois which is jut outside Decatur.
I’ve never been to the pumpkin house. I go to Arthur once a month or so on motorcycle rides and finish up the year visiting the great pumpkin patch with the kids. I’ll have to take them out to see this house one of these days.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m way too tired tonight but my 4 year old wants a werewolf, I’m thinking about carving a Klaus Mikaelson. All that could change tomorrow. It’s been raining so I haven’t really been able to finish up on the witches coven. My 9 year old want a pumpkin carved with something from the last Insidious movie. That could be tough to figure out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Patience and practice. Small tools to work tiny pieces out. Some people use a transfer method to get the pattern on the pumpkin. I still use the old tape it to the face method. The hot razor cuts though both layers without issue as long as it’s firmly attached. Leaves behind a little paper around the cut lines that have to be scraped loose when finished. Back side of a cool knife works well. Paint gets hot and tacky where you cut because it’s as much melting as cutting.

Time lapse (until my phone died) carving Bobby Singer Jack-O-Lantern

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My middle boy wanted a clown so I carved This. I don’t think this one is quite done but it’s after 3am. I am going to give this guy some hands I think, maybe a balloon... something...

16D31184-9B46-4950-B9D1-A1D64B2D7D63.jpg

1 - 20 of 135 Posts