Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a working Jack-In-The-Box, but a pneumatic system is a bit expensive for my budget. I was thinking about a simple spring-powered mechanism, but that would require someone to trigger and reset it every time.
Here's something that popped into my head last night. Would it be possible to build a spring powered prop, and use some sort of camshaft mechanism with an electric motor for resetting it? Just using a motor for making it pop out of the box would work too, but I don't think it will be possible to make it really "jump".
Has anyone ever built something like this without using pneumatics? I don't have anything required to build pneumatic props at the moment, so if that's the only way to do it, it would be quite a steep investment for me.

·
Registered
668 Posts
A wiper motor with a parking feature pops into mind. Attach a cam that when it is in park mode, it is holding down a spring loaded pop up. Once triggered, you get your scare, then as the cam turns back to the park setting, it is pulling your prop back into ambient mode.

Edit: tried posting an image, but having issues. Do a google image search for "Cams for drop function", for an idea. Same principal but instead of dropping, it resets your spring loaded prop. You could also use armatures to make it a drop powered prop with enough weight to "spring" your prop up.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes I second a wiper motor which is pretty inexpensive...... they do pull 5 amps or so. A 10 amp power supply should do fine.

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
I want to build a working Jack-In-The-Box, but a pneumatic system is a bit expensive for my budget. I was thinking about a simple spring-powered mechanism, but that would require someone to trigger and reset it every time.
Here's something that popped into my head last night. Would it be possible to build a spring powered prop, and use some sort of camshaft mechanism with an electric motor for resetting it? Just using a motor for making it pop out of the box would work too, but I don't think it will be possible to make it really "jump".
Has anyone ever built something like this without using pneumatics? I don't have anything required to build pneumatic props at the moment, so if that's the only way to do it, it would be quite a steep investment for me.

I would use a wiper motor.

Monster Guts sells wiper motors, power supplies and variable speed controls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts