Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Spoopy Folks!

I'm Bridget of the Corn (because Iowa or whatever) and I've been coming to this forum for YEARS for ideas. Why I never joined is beyond me... but I'm here now! I have a new house so I was excited to have a perfect (flat & wide) front yard for Halloween decorations this year. I got ideas here to create my own tombstones which was super time consuming but WORTH IT! (foam board, pyrography pen & exterior paint). I'm doing a cemetery on one half and maybe a witch house on the other. I did mess around w/ the Atmos FX backlit display in the front windows, also (shower curtain for a screen).

Thanks for the ideas over the years and I hope I can share some of my own tips! When the weather is warm enough to open the windows in the late Spring, I think I will begin prepping! I want to add another 8+ tombstones (mostly serial killers or scary movie characters), cemetery gates, witch house (maybe), grim reaper (monster mud & HUGE), etc. etc.

How early do YOU start prepping?
Plant Green Blue Purple Grass

Plant Tree Tent Grass Entertainment

Plant Tree Land lot Sky Groundcover
Wood Fender Gas Office supplies Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
First off - welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a good start.

I have to say my wife does some serious pyrography - and if she saw me using any of her equipment on Styrofoam I'd be looking for my head! LOL

Most years I start the serious planning(new builds, update of props, etc.) just after the 4th of July (mainly because my May and June are usually taken up with other hobbies/commitments). this year it wasn't until September because of a number of family health issues - so I basically maintained my status quo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had that pyrography pen sitting around just waiting for some Styrofoam. Surprisingly it was not too awfully damaging to the pen but I also didn't have a better way of doing what I was going for there... I am going to TRY and stick to June/July... but I'll most likely be burning up that Styrofoam in May! I'm going to make a mausoleum & Cemetery entrance archway & gates all out of foamboard this next year!
Also - if your wife ever has equipment to get rid of - try them sometime... other than the fumes, it's pretty satisfying!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had that pyrography pen sitting around just waiting for some Styrofoam. Surprisingly it was not too awfully damaging to the pen but I also didn't have a better way of doing what I was going for there... I am going to TRY and stick to June/July... but I'll most likely be burning up that Styrofoam in May! I'm going to make a mausoleum & Cemetery entrance archway & gates all out of foamboard this next year!
Also - if your wife ever has equipment to get rid of - try them sometime... other than the fumes, it's pretty satisfying!
I redid my cemetery entrance pillars this year - I used the faux brick paneling from HD, 1 X 3s, 2 X 4s and Monster Mud. I'm pretty satisfied with the way they came out.
Property Building Sky Window Plant

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice! I like your fencing, too. My cemetery is going to be called Spider Gates Cemetery (after a creepy one out in Massachusetts - plus it gives me a way to bring spiders into my decor) and I want to do similar w/ the name in an arch over it. I think I saw your fence tutorial on here? Or something similar. I did mine w/ rope chain & garden stakes w/ those same finials.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Very nice! I like your fencing, too. My cemetery is going to be called Spider Gates Cemetery (after a creepy one out in Massachusetts - plus it gives me a way to bring spiders into my decor) and I want to do similar w/ the name in an arch over it. I think I saw your fence tutorial on here? Or something similar. I did mine w/ rope chain & garden stakes w/ those same finials.
My neighbor and I have been joined to to the Bonanza Court Haunt for 7 years. My cemetery is Aspen Grove Cemetery since I have a number of aspens in my yard and is just one scene of the entire haunt.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I noticed you do something similar for your fencing like I do. I've been using the same materials for 20+ years, 4ft. tree-stakes and black plastic chain from Lowes or Depot. The only difference is I glued and nailed a piece of 1/4 inch plywood that I cut into 4 inch squares on top so I can put a lantern or small JOL on to get peoples attention. All I have to do is a few touch-ups with some flat black spray paint, and it's good to go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome Bridget!
What a great yard for haunting. I’m looking forward to seeing it transformed every Halloween. Nice job on those tombstones!

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Welcome! I start doing my prepping in my mind for next year while I am putting up the current decorations. :sneaky: But, like you, I need to wait until the weather allows for me to start doing anything in earnest. But before actually doing the hands-on stuff, I try to design and blueprint items, shop around for deals on materials, 3D print stuff, etc. That way I can take advantage of nice weather at a moment's notice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts