Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a Beautiful day, the sun is out, it’s above 40 degrees. Just getting my coffee and waiting for my minions to arrive.

I was working 3rd shift hours last night. It’s amazing how you can slip back to 3rd shift so easily. I was up all night making “Ebola free candy available upon request" signs.

Looking forward to doing the prelim set up for the haunt and the endless repair work that comes soon afterwards.

What a gorgeous day !

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,721 Posts
I just started yesterday and should get the preliminary stuff completed today. Beautiful, but hot and a bit humid out there in my neck of the woods - 80˚ last I checked.

Oh, and I soooo miss working nightshift. I am much more alert and feel better in the wee hours and feel like a zombie when I have to drag myself into to work at 8am every day. :)

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just started yesterday and should get the preliminary stuff completed today. Beautiful, but hot and a bit humid out there in my neck of the woods - 80˚ last I checked.

Oh, and I soooo miss working nightshift. I am much more alert and feel better in the wee hours and feel like a zombie when I have to drag myself into to work at 8am every day. :)
Oh I wish it was 80 degrees here......I'm glad someone is getting something done. I had to mow the lawn and the tempt is starting to drop. The minions have decided to take a hiatus and I'm dragging butt.....I might not get anything done. I might feel a little better towards ten p.m or so....UGH!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Nope....Today was a total waste. It only drove home the fact I am unable to run the haunt alone. It has grown too large......Gonna be one hell of a yard sale.
You need to get new minions! We're kind of in the same boat, in terms of set-up. Myself and forum member lewlew have done 95% of the haunt build, and now breaking it down to move it to my place next week. It's a 12x24 building comprised of 32 8 foot wall panels, along with 6 roof sections. All of our helpers are excited to come and scare people but are never available on the work days. Hell the two of us even painted the entire inside of the thing. Can't begin to tally the toal hours we worked but lets say we started in August. I've made it very clear to our helpers (all high school kids) that we expect assistance i nthe afternoons after school and most importantly on the day after when we break it all down and move it off site. Hoping they all take it to heart or we may be looking for new help next year.

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to get new minions! We're kind of in the same boat, in terms of set-up. Myself and forum member lewlew have done 95% of the haunt build, and now breaking it down to move it to my place next week. It's a 12x24 building comprised of 32 8 foot wall panels, along with 6 roof sections. All of our helpers are excited to come and scare people but are never available on the work days. Hell the two of us even painted the entire inside of the thing. Can't begin to tally the toal hours we worked but lets say we started in August. I've made it very clear to our helpers (all high school kids) that we expect assistance i nthe afternoons after school and most importantly on the day after when we break it all down and move it off site. Hoping they all take it to heart or we may be looking for new help next year.
I remember you talking about scaling back last year JW. Now I can see why........

Everyone is hungry for dinner but no one wants to cook......

The minions returned and after 4 hours, we finished setting up the fence just as the rain started. I threw out my back....but it was a good start.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I don't look at Halloween as a display to be enjoyed by people driving by. I view it is as more of a one night performance. Now, that is easy for me to say since I live on a cul-de-sac in a neighborhood with little to no traffic. I would have maybe 4 neighbors that could look down the street and see my set-up.

So for me, it is all about Halloween night and the 75 kids that will drop by. I start about three weeks out with some of the big stuff, like the cemetery fence with an emphasis on weather resistant only items. I put up the twenty foot rope spider web this weekend and covered the bushes in spider webs. I also happened to open a box with two tombstones so they were put out also.

Starting this week, I am putting out the lighting, which always seems to take the longest for me. I am the guy that gets caught up in the electrical cords and starts cursing. :D

Pressure ruins the fun. I just do what I can without stressing, and enjoy the results on Halloween night.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nope....Today was a total waste. It only drove home the fact I am unable to run the haunt alone. It has grown too large......Gonna be one hell of a yard sale.
Teenagers? I offer my teens' friends free food in exchange for free labor. LOL

As for my current setup? Spent all weekend in awesome weather building more cemetery fencing and columns. This week is finishing up tombstones and getting the existing decorations out where I want them.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
We scaled back, cut more than 75% of the haunt we used to do.

No more tunnels, No more mazes, No cemetary this year...

Just a huge Pumkin patch, with tons of related props. We realise it's way too much work, and Mother Nature is always destroying it on Halloween day.
It does feels good, actually, able to focus on one Theme.

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Teenagers? I offer my teens' friends free food in exchange for free labor. LOL

As for my current setup? Spent all weekend in awesome weather building more cemetery fencing and columns. This week is finishing up tombstones and getting the existing decorations out where I want them.
I had the minions over again. Yesterday it was eight corner deep dish pizza. Today it was KFC... After 7 1/2 hours of setting up the mausoleum and interior fencing, I didn't feel like cooking.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes you are way far behind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts