Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been rumors of an X-Files return to primetime for many years and finally the rumors are no more but actually true. FOX NETWORK and Carter announced today that they finalized the deal and six new episodes will be filmed starting this summer. Duchovny and Anderson are returning and Chris Carter said some of the staff during the series will be there as well.

I assume by reading this thread you are an X-Files fan too. Curious how you became one. We had neighbors invite us over for dinner one night and asked us if we wanted to watch one of the episodes afterwards they had rented on video tape from Blockbuster (funny, video tapes are pretty much non-existent and Blockbuster is gone too! It's been 13 years). We had never watched it before although i think it had been on for a season or two at that point. I think the episode we first saw was "Squeeze". Then we watched the tape for "2 Shy" and one of the mythology episodes, "Erlenmeyer Flask" I think. That was the start of our watching all the reruns we could find on FX while watching the weekly show on FOX until we were caught up with all the episodes. And so began our love affair with The X-Files. What's your viewing background and will you be tuning in after all these years when the first new episode airs?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think this would only be good if they removed the second movie, where Mulder and Scully are married, away from our memories.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I remember first watching the show while I was in school... Man, was that a long time ago:D I generally did not care too much for the episodes featuring aliens, but many of the others were very good. I am honestly surprised that it is being resurrected after all of these years, along with Duchovny and Anderson returning. I likely will be tuning in to see which direction they are going to take the series.

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
I am SO looking forward to this! The X-Files is one if my favorite things ever, hopefully this doesn't end up like most reboots...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I don't remember how I started watching X-Files, I know I was hooked after one episode and devastated when it was over. The second movie should be removed from our collective consciousness.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I never knew where their episode was headed, which I liked about that show.
Seeing "Scully's" one expression of wide-eyed fearfulness was always a kick for me,since she usually under-played the other expressions but then when she got scared (which was not every week or so it seems now) She would freeze, her mouth gape open,eyes wide and just not move.
The writing was usually unpredictable too , another facet I liked and admired.
It felt somewhat like the old Twigh Light Zone shows,but of course more present and updated.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to agree about the second movie. Didn't see it in the theaters and one night while nothing was on TV I found it on some cable channel and watched it since I hadn't seen it. Glad I didn't pay extra for it. At the end of it I remember thinking I can see why a lot of people didn't care for it. Not sure what it was exactly about the movie, which had the main characters back and a similar theme of some of the series episodes, that made this one the least of my favorities of the X-Files storyline. Maybe it was the fact that it was a theme stretched out over two hours and needed a lot of filler as a result.

I wonder where the new reboot series will pick up from as far as Mulder and Scully, the FBI, the alien mythology go. Don't know if everyone knows this but the paranormal episodes were loosely based on events or things reported in real life like spontaneous combustion, mutations, etc. A number of the X-File "season" books go into the episodes and where the writers got their inspiration from and I found them an interesting read. I don't know what Mitch Pillegi (Skinner) is doing now after TNT's "Dallas" ended but I would love to see him back. CSM, Krychek, Lone Gunmen were also intregal parts to much of the viewing pleasure for me. With only 6 episodes of what I assume is a Litmus Test for FOX for testing the waters for this reboot, not sure what they will try to include. It will be hard to satisfy everyone I'm sure but with not much great on TV now IMO I sure hope it's just as fun and compelling to watch as it once was. I'd love to have a favorite show again that I looked forward to each week. Back when it was on before, I worked in a small company and you could count on what was going to be the lunchroom discussion following the new episode. It was fun talking it over. Now I guess we have forums for that.

BTW tonight on David Letterman (Tuesday, 3/31) David Duchovny will be on, assume he will be promoting the new show.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just saw this People Mag article on tonight's David Letterman show. Don't read unless you want to see spoilers before tonight's Letterman of who else Duchovny reveals will be coming on the show! Can't wait!

http://www.people.com/article/david-duchovny-x-files-letterman

oh and LOL the People Mag writer clearly is too young to have seen the show to be writing this article. Kind of embarrassing for People.

BTW I have mentioned this a while back but when i do my Zombie Farmer scene haunt I have two prop characters that will be used to be a homage to the episode "Home". One of the sons with a pitch fork by a water pump by the farm house and the other a character under the bed. Probably use one of my old vintage radios set up to play "Wonderful! Wonderful". The kids won't get it but maybe an X-File viewer parent will. I don't do gross so it has to stay subtle.

Just came across this article from Forbes and it sounds like lots of fans are coming out of the woodwork: http://www.forbes.com/sites/milliedent/2015/03/30/producers-of-the-x-files-turn-to-fans-for-creative-assistance/

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am pretty excited about it �� I was way young when it first came out but I enjoyed reruns while in high school. TNT used to do mini marathons. I love it!

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watching "Wayward Pines" on FOX tonight and saw my first "The X-Files" promo for the new series! January 2016. One of the scene clips was of someone walking over a poster on the floor. Immediately knew what this promo was about. It was the "I want to believe" poster that hung in Mulder's office. LOL

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
WEEWIL B WATCHING MULDER AND HER TO SEE IF THEY HAVE DISCOVERED OUR SECRET BASE YET.

How did they take control of my keyboard?
How did they make my keys go up and down ? they must be invisible!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Watching "Wayward Pines" on FOX tonight and saw my first "The X-Files" promo for the new series! January 2016. One of the scene clips was of someone walking over a poster on the floor. Immediately knew what this promo was about. It was the "I want to believe" poster that hung in Mulder's office. LOL
Yes I saw this as well

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Lone Gunmen are on board too! Woohoo! Tune in date is January 24, 2016....a Tuesday?? I also read that something X-Files (promo, clip ... not sure) will air during the Season Finale for Wayward Pines this week (Thursday).

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/x-files-revival-lone-gunmen-fox-1201546104/

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/07/x-files-lone-gunmen-reboot-join-cast?mbid=social_twitter

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/22/x-files-lone-gunmen-return

I had heard a while back that Skinner and CSM will be there. Getting excited. It's been soooooo longggggg.

Clip during Wayward Pines :

Mulder: Are you ready for this Scully?

Scully (looking all gorgeous and not like 20 years has passed LOL): I don't know there's a choice....

(strains of X-File theme music)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK it's almost that time. Gillian did a recent interview and numerous articles are in the press now. And I've been seeing little promo pieces air during Fox shows. The Daily Mail UK site has a great article with lots of photos you guys might like (it's a tabloid type site so keep that in mind with regard to other stories they run -- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3376657/Gillian-Anderson-shares-details-new-X-Files-TV-series-21-minute-trailer-shares-fresh-footage-Scully-Mulder-together.html ).

There's a 21-minute featurette piece on you tube that The X-Files has out there called "The X-Files - Re-Opened". Watched it and I really can't wait until Sunday, January 24 and Monday, January 25 for the first two episodes (BTW the remaining 4 episode will air on Tuesdays). Great intro piece and I get a real sense of déjà vu. Pretty excited. Now imagine building a space ship for your front yard like the one discussed about 13 minutes into the trailer!

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you guys catch David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson on Jimmy Kimmel a few days ago? If not, there were 3 segments with them on it. Very enjoyable. Here's links to the 4 segments. The first one is a Kimmel skit, very funny especially going back to the 90s (some of you might not remember this though LOL). Not sure how long Kimmel will keep these up so catch them while you can. Next Sunday, 1/24 and Monday, 1/25 (two new episodes) it all starts again.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6pLxYXpW8I

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Uc0vLO0uA

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgEN1t4jPRE

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUM6oeEn08

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I just read an article from Chris Carter, and I hope to heck he's lying about what the show is about because if he's telling the truth, it's gonna suck.

Not to go to deep, but the thumbnail view is aliens and monsters out, government over-reach in. :(

·
Registered
369 Posts
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I just read an article from Chris Carter, and I hope to heck he's lying about what the show is about because if he's telling the truth, it's gonna suck.

Not to go to deep, but the thumbnail view is aliens and monsters out, government over-reach in. :(
I am anxious for it to come on...and I HOPE it doesn't suck. I need to go find the article.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tonight is the Season premiere. BTW on the West coast it airs early. 7pm supposedly after some football (hope they can actually air it on time although I set our DVR to start early and end later just in case). Check your own listings.

Also of note -- tomorrow they will air the second episode.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts